Duck Hunting Forum banner

Follow up on X bolt (and other long range shooting)

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ajmorell 
#1 ·
I just returned from my hunting camp where I took some buddies down for our annual shooting weekend. We blew through a couple thousand rounds of pistol and rimfire rounds and I had some surprises set up on the 100yd rifle range with several containers of exploding targets (those are always fun for the shock factor. Then we set up our 12" steel swinging plate at 400 years and brought out the varmint rifles.

Most everybody took a couple shots at the plate with around 85% dings shooting 22-250, 25-06 and 25WSSM rifles that were set up for longer range. Then I brought out my X bolt .308 that is deer hunting ready (1.75" high at 100 yards and a Leupold VXIII 4.5x14-50mm with the heavy duplex reticle) and set up to take a shot. The thicker reticle blocked out most of the plate but adjusting for drop and windage I held the top of the bottom bottom post at the top of the plate and squeezed off a shot. When I heard the PING and saw the plate swinging I just stood up and walked away. Not only was I surprised that I could make the shot I was shocked that I did it with an off the shelf rifle with factory ammo. This was the first time I had ever taken shots at what can be considered semi "long range" and was pleased with the results...especially with a hunting scope and not a mil dot ranging scope.

I have several rounds of reloads ready to go but didn't want to reset the scope just yet as each had a different POI at 100 so we shot up the last of my Hornady 165gr loads. 3 or 4 other guys took shots behind my rifle with the same results. Needless to say I am confident that my rifle is capable of anything I can task it with.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.