.17 hmr

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

.17 hmr

Postby dcduckhunt » Tue May 23, 2006 5:05 pm

ok guys im thinking about buying a .17hmr. I just need to know how far it travels and how loud it is so i can convince my parents to let me but one.
dcduckhunt
hunter

Postby quackhunter » Tue May 23, 2006 8:42 pm

The 17 is a wonderful caliber for small pest animals. It has an effective range of about 125 yds. Most of the guns out there are unusually accurate. I have personally used a savage and an Anschutz rifles. The 17 is not a good choice for coyote hunting whatsoever and it is only good for tree rats if you use a non expanding bullet type. The Vmax bullets are very destructive. I personally use mine for pigeons, racoons and animals similar in size. My personal distance record is 175 yds on a starling with the Anschutz. Its a fun caliber, relatively cheap, has minimal muzzel blast and isn't as loud as small centerfires. Its similar in noise to a 22 mag.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby dcduckhunt » Wed May 24, 2006 5:12 pm

thanks for the info. i saw a savage at scheels in st. cloud i think i will go with that one because its pretty cheap.
dcduckhunt
hunter

Postby quackhunter » Wed May 24, 2006 6:26 pm

The Savages are very good guns for the money, a better action IMO than the Marlin guns. Stick with the wood- bull barrel. The syntheticc looks cool but the gun is barrel heavy. they came out with a thumbhole -stainless option this year with accutrigger that looks like a very nice rifle. Good luck with your new rifle.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:10 pm

I agree with the responses so far. The .17HMR is super fun to shoot and I don't think I've shot one that wouldn't print 5 shots under 1in, cheap optics or whatnot. It's not as loud as a .22lr IMO, very faint, "crack" I have a few, some expensive, some super budget, all of em shoot exteremy well. I use mine for Jack-rabbits, crows and such, have killed a coyote or two, but they were perfect target presentations where I was able to send that little 17 right into their ear at 100 or so. For every coyote I've dropped with a 17 I've passed up 5 cause the shot wasn't good enough. Not that much room for error with such a light projectile.
shocktroop
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum