Duck Hunting Forum banner

I am thinking about buying a .22 rifle-

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  clampdaddy 
#1 ·
I would love to hear your reccomendations. I have owned a Ruger 10/22, and while they are great rifles, not what I am interested in at this time.

I would LOVE to be able to afford a Winchester model 62, or even a clone but I cant tie that much money up right now.

What I am looking for is something thats reliable, accurate, and affordable. I dont care if its an autoloader or bolt gun, but am leaning towards a marlin, etc.

Did I mention I wish I could afford a model 62? Those prices are crazy!!!!! Even the clones are expensive....

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

#2 ·
Check out the OLD Mossberg stuff. Like the model 42's, 44's and 46's. My dad collects them. Those things are the most accurate little .22's. I'll bring one out next time and let ya shoot it.

#3 ·
My favorite for carrying around is an old Belgium made Browning. Very slim receiver and mag in buttstock. Pull plunger out some and fill through a hole in the stock. I don't know the model offhand. They do make knockoffs of it though. Very cool little rifle and is pretty accurate.

I think Savage is making a decent rifle these days, for the money. I had a synthetic .17 HMR that was a tack driver, with no wind.

#4 ·
talltimber said:
My favorite for carrying around is an old Belgium made Browning. Very slim receiver and mag in buttstock. Pull plunger out some and fill through a hole in the stock. I don't know the model offhand. They do make knockoffs of it though. Very cool little rifle and is pretty accurate.

I think Savage is making a decent rifle these days, for the money. I had a synthetic .17 HMR that was a tack driver, with no wind.
They still make that browning. Just made in Japan now. Still excellent quality but pricey.

And yeah Tom, if you want to go new, don't overlook savage.

I just threw out the old mossbergs because you can pick them up at gun shows for well under 200 bucks and they usually aren't pretty so it won't break your heart if you scratch it. And I'll be damned on accuracy. My brother is an excellent shot and he was popping empty shotgun hulls off of fence posts at 75+ yards.

#6 ·
Hey there TomKat,

Just poking around looking for a user friendly site and saw your post RE .22 rifles.

I have a bunch, Remington, Winchester, Ruger, High Standard and Marlin.

Got to say, best bang for the buck, and often best period is the old Marlin Glenfield model 60. These babies have the patented micro groove barrel, hi-cap tube mag, very accurate, very reliable and cheap... You can get a good used one for less than $100.

My favorite is an early '70's rig I bought last year for $50. Mounted a Nikon Pro Staff 4X and it's a tack driver. Also have an older 39A, great rifle, but pricey.

Spent a fair amount of time and $$$ on a hot rodded 10/22 pack rifle (carbon fiber barrel, folder etc.). It serves the purpose, but isn't nearly as accurate or reliable as the model 60.

Plinkin' I take the 10/22, but hunting, the go to gun is the model 60, at 1/10th the price... :thumbsup:

Der Chef

#7 ·
22's have changed quite a bit since I was a teen back in '55 but the old single shot and bot actions back
then were very accurate, even had a Stevens semi-auto that was a tack driver.

Today auto and "Black guns" are the thing................

Good luck finding a new .22 or maybe just hold tight and save your money for the mod 62, that you really want.
I remember saving my money for two years,as a youngster, to get my hands on the new Remington "Plastic 66 auto" !!

#9 ·
Glenfield 60 was my first .22. It jammed quite a bit, and I gave it away, eventually. Could have been the rounds I was using too, don't know. I know it wasn't because it wasn't cleaned. As a kid, my guns sparkled. Probably reduced the condition % on them at ten times the normal rate :lol3:

I have noticed that Troy shoots what looks to be a marlin lever gun in some of the shows. Don't know what that would be, not familiar. A guy I know use to deer hunt with an old Browning lever 22 lr. That was a very accurate little rifle too.

#10 ·
talltimber,

Have only seen two examples of the model 60 that had issues. In both cases they were newer models (with the shorter mag tube).

Turned out to be a less than perfect chamber so that cases would hang up a tiny bit upon ejection and cause stove pipes. A little polishing with lapping compound, three min. fix, smooth as silk running again like it should, no further issues. :thumbsup:

The Marlin lever gun you refer to is likely the 39A. This was the .22 used by Annie O in her shows. Obviously an accurate gun. I have one and it's a gem, beautifully made and 100% reliable. Pricey though, decent used ones are usually over $300.

Chef

#11 ·
Der Chef, that's what mine would do. If I remember right though, the tube went out pretty well to the end of the barrel. I received it for Christmas when I was a kid. I know for a fact that it was when I was in sixth grade or less (I changed schools in the summer after sixth grade) I'm 46 now. I guess it would have been around '77 or '78 maybe. That seems like such a long time ago. :lol3:

#12 ·
TK, find a Cz 452 Lux, Military Trainer (same gun, different wood used for the stock) or Ultra Lux (longer barrel) before the prices go thru the roof. They are a well built mini mauser with military style tangent sights that has recently been replaced by a new model. They are of excellent quality, have a reputation for being extremely accurate, and are being snatched up like hot cakes by those who know about them..........I'm picking mine up on Tuesday. :lol3:

#13 ·
clampdaddy said:
TK, find a Cz 452 Lux, Military Trainer (same gun, different wood used for the stock) or Ultra Lux (longer barrel) before the prices go thru the roof. They are a well built mini mauser with military style tangent sights that has recently been replaced by a new model. They are of excellent quality, have a reputation for being extremely accurate, and are being snatched up like hot cakes by those who know about them..........I'm picking mine up on Tuesday. :lol3:
THAT is the info I was looking for! Thanks-

#14 ·
No problem TK. Google reviews on them and you will have a damn hard time trying to find anyone with anything negative to say about them. There is a great Cz/Brno forum at rimfire central and those guys can help with anything from which trigger upgrade kits are best to which micrometer/globe sights will fit a 452 for competitively shooting bug holes in paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.