Hogdon CFE-223 Powder

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Hogdon CFE-223 Powder

Postby apexhunter » Tue May 15, 2012 9:10 am

Has anybody tried the new CFE-223 self cleaning powder? I read a good write up about it in G&A mag a month or so ago and am thinking about trying some for my .308 and my buddy's AR loads and am curious to hear any feedback.

According to the testing they did for the article they got some pretty amazing results as far as the lack of barrel copper fouling and even the removal of existing fouling using the powder in reloads. The Hogdon chart also shows nice ballistics with this powder to boot.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Re: Hogdon CFE-223 Powder

Postby Sagebrush » Tue May 15, 2012 9:26 am

You don't think that Hodgdon would post bad info, do you ??

Hodgdon has LOTS of new powders out there for the reloaders to try....................
They are way ahead of the other companys..........glad that some one is improving the powders and
Hornady with their bullets, to make things better for us,that reload.

Lots of powders to try but I have 19 types of powder in my room, right now !! Hope to load a bunch of shells this year
so I can try them out....................

Hodgdon does have data for the "Copper Fowling Eraser" powder on its internet data all the way up to the 90gr bullet.
53ge Sierra, 28.5grs of powder at 3415 is looking mighty fine...........

Good luck.
Last edited by Sagebrush on Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue May 15, 2012 11:51 am

Oh heck no...I've used many Hogdon powders over the years with nothing but good results. The thing that just intrigues me is the cleaning and anti-fouling properties of this newest powder. Seeing before and after photo results of a copper laden bore all but 100% cleaned just by using the powder is pretty amazing. No more shoot, scrub, shoot, scrub when doing volume target shooting and it should prove to be priceless for prairie dog shooters.

I looked over their data compared to my powders and it looked to be an even swap but I just was curious if somebody had some real life ballistic results to share. Guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one...at least with .308win loads to begin with.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed May 16, 2012 8:58 am

It was designed for the Military and all the "solid brass" bullets that they shoot.

I saw that picture of the two barrels cut lengthwise to show copper build up with
powder A vs powder B................ quite the eye opener.

"Chemicals"........making the world better.

Good luck with those .30 cal loads. It will be interresting to see how "Green" or "Blue"those cleaning patches come out.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed May 16, 2012 10:03 am

The pictures in the article are from a bore camera and the results were astounding...from a clean bore they shot 100 factory rounds and took pictures then shot 100 rounds in a clean bore w/ CFE-223 loads and took pictures and the results were night & day. The CFE-223 loads left the bore virtually new and unscathed w/ copper. Then they shot 100 rounds of factory and photographed heavy copper fouling all down the bore and followed up with 100 rounds w/ CFE-223 and the bore was virtually clean.

Not only does it prevent fouling but actually removed existing fouling which was the nest part. I hope it'll be as accurate and consistent as my normal powders so I can use it for all of my target and hunting loads to make barrel maintenance much easier.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed May 16, 2012 10:29 am

I was looking at the date on this powder last night...very impressive
TomKat
Dorothy

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum