.243 / .243WSSM / .257 Roberts / or WHAT???

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Postby kcduckslayer » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:27 am

I was making more of a point to guns like hi point or savage. However savage is getting there.

I havent really checked the gun prices latley but you should be able to pick up a real nice used rifle with a scope for under $600.

By the way a friend of mine just picked up a used browning a bolt 30-06 with a 3x9x40 Leupold I think for $650. There is no wear and tear on the gun at all.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:52 am

thanks pennsltucky, but not really in the market for a 10ga. lol. :thumbsup:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:27 am

Hell, I'm pretty sure Savage is there. They have some of the best factory barrels right now. Their synthetic stocks need work, but then, so do most stocks IMO. I would take another look, because they are far from the junk of the past.

Pick one up, or better yet shoot one. Come on over and I'll show you a half dozen that can shoot extremely well. It will change your mind on Savage as it changed mine.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:54 am

I might have to take you up on that. I would like to take another look at them. I have shot the savage tactical (older model) in .308 next to my 700 pss .308 and hands down I would take the 700. However that was 2 years ago and I understand things change.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:58 pm

If you are ever in the middle part of the state, give me a shout. I would be glad to go out shooting with you. My Savages range from a 17HMR to 300 Win, and think it would be fun burnin' some ammo.

Don't forget your shotgun, though...we would have to hit the clays.

The Remingtons still probably look a bit more polished, but don't think the Savage is behind in reliablility, function, and accuracy.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby quackhunter » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:45 pm

As long as you pass on a savage with a cheesy synthetic stock you will be fine. I had a Savage 93 in 17HMR that shot a witnessed .435 outside to outside five shot group at 100 yds. :eek: . My anschutz though more refined and definatley a better gun has yet to match that.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:34 pm

Citori12 wrote:Your choices are understandable.....but let me leave you with this note:
Anyone who can consistantly hit the vitals of a blacktail deer at 300 yards needs precision accuracy....those folks that shoot precision long distance target all reload...why? because just changing the overall length of the cartridge to suit the rifle will make the difference between 1 1/2" groups and .50" groups....the folks that I know that are accurate on a range at 300 yards all reload thier own ammunition. Being Ex-military that .243 factory gun and cartridge would be a pretty poor substitute for a 300 yard gun.

I guess you like the 10 gauge for deer hunting too.... :smile:

Seriously, you do not need to reload to have a 300 yard gun. With the premium factory loads made today, a person should be able to find an accurate load. A 1 1/2 gun is more than accuarate in the real deer hunting world for a 300 yard shot.

I've gotten groups of 1/2" with federal premiums out of my 243. When I needed more ammo and could not buy premiums, winchesters (which out of my gun group about 1-1 1/2") are a great substitute. The reason why I give the size of these groups is to show that I like an accurate rifle. I'm also accurate with a rifle (I don't reload rifle shells either). Does a hunting rifle actually need this kind of accuracy. Not for most shots. I can pick a hole out in the brush and thread a bullet through it on short shots. I can (AND HAVE) kill deer out past 300 yards.

If you were planing on shooting deer at 500 yards or more you need something that will shoot under 1". But then you also need a gun with a whole lot more power, not to mention a rangefinder, a rock solid rest, and a lot more skill than 99% of hunters have.

The reason I'm writing this is although handloading will usually give you a more accurate load, alot of the time it is probally not worth the trouble unless you just enjoy reloading.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:59 pm

I'd suggest a .22-250 as well. I've seen that round knock rabbits and coyotes to the ground in the 300-400 yard range with no problem. I don't own one personally, but a good friend of mine owns a remington model 700 chambered in the .250 and I've fired it plenty...great round! He's topped it with a (I can't remember the make) 3-9x50 scope and it's a good flat shooter. Just my opinion though.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:36 pm

Swamp Puppy wrote:thanks pennsltucky, but not really in the market for a 10ga. lol. :thumbsup:

sorry swampy, that was supposed to be a 12bvss savage if i remember right.... whoops

like this...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=53456798
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum