1911 owners, got a question

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

1911 owners, got a question

Postby Montanafowler » Tue May 29, 2012 11:10 am

so i shot my Remington 1911 in the rain for the first time this last weekend, i had several failure to feeds and was wondering if others have had problems with this before. both the gun and my mags were getting wet, as was the ammo when i was refilling mags. i suspect that the moisture was the main cause, and because the gun is still fairly new, it still has pretty tight tolerances. does anyone have some input on this? i can't imagine a pistol designed for combat would jam if it gets a bit wet, but i know it has been known to happen.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Re: 1911 owners, got a question

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:14 am

When you say failure feeds what exactly is happening? Is it cycling and just not putting another into the chamber? Or is the empty getting stuck? And is the gun fully cycling?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue May 29, 2012 12:43 pm

it is fully extracting the spent round, but the next live round is failing to fully seat into the chamber. only happened when the mags and ammo were wet. the gun functions perfectly when it's dry.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:19 pm

A couple things come to mind. If you bought the gun brand new, it may need a little bit of oil. If you are shooting reloads or certain kinds of cheap ammo, you could have heavy carbon build up. Or, if you open the chamber all the way, take a look at the feed ramp where the barrell and the frame meet. Run your finger in contrast as if your finger was the bullet. If there is a sharp edge, you'll need to sand it down. I used 1,000 grit sand paper to do mine. If this is the case, do it very very gentley. You're not going to want to really "sand it down" but polish it to kind of take away the sharp edge. I made 4 very light passes and I was good. And are you using aftermarket mags? I had a problem with a 10 rounder not getting rounds up into the chamber. Also, aftermarket mags and hollowpoints don't really work well together with my 1911. That's pretty much all I got to maybe solve the problem. After watching torture tests on youtube of 1911's, I can't see one failing when it's just a little wet. But in all honesty I could still be wrong.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue May 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Mags are important in auto guns. Sometimes you get a certain gun that likes certain mags, etc.

Was the gun clean? Did you clean the feed ramp really good? I normaly take a q tip and use that to clean the feed ramp with.

I know they are combat guns, but I have never shot one in the pouring rain...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby apexhunter » Wed May 30, 2012 9:04 am

Like Junior mentioned I would strip, clean, lube and reassemble both the guns and the mags. It sounds to me like you have a new somewhat dirty gun with tight tolerances and lack of proper lube that was aggravated by moisture. Everybody has their own brands and styles of lube but I always put a SMALL dab of gun grease (I prefer Tetra) on the channels for the slide and work it around by racking several times. The higher viscosity of grease makes it stay in place to provide excellent lubrication. For general lubrication on springs, trigger, etc I use a very light coating of a quality gun oil.

Moisture can make unspent powder and loose carbon build up into a gum and cause problems..especially on a fairly tight gun like a new 1911. If one makes a practice of shoting in the rain they need to make sure the gun is very clean and properly lubricated and use something like a small can of compressed air to blow out as much moisture as possible during the shooting session.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 am

I agree that grease in the rails is a good idea.

I have also used G96 gun lubricant on my autofeeding pistols with good results. Ofcourse, they are cleaned frenquently and never shot in a downpour...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby apexhunter » Wed May 30, 2012 9:44 am

Actually it isn't a bad idea to shoot a pistol, especially a SD piece in the rain. One never knows when, where and in what weather conditions they may have to defend themselves and knowing their pistol will perform in all conditions is paramount.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed May 30, 2012 10:22 am

you ever shot one in a real downpour?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby apexhunter » Wed May 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Got caught in a sudden downpour one afternoon while shooting and put a few mags through it before scrambling for cover.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:27 pm

i've somewhat cleaned it, i haven't had the money to get a cleaning kit, but i usually break it down and wipe all the grime and relube. i need to get some grease for the rails as well. as of now the gun has about 700 rounds through it, entirely possible that i need to clean it better with some solvent.

i'm shooting primarily WWB ammo, so it's pretty dirty.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:24 am

Montanafowler wrote:i've somewhat cleaned it, i haven't had the money to get a cleaning kit, but i usually break it down and wipe all the grime and relube. i need to get some grease for the rails as well. as of now the gun has about 700 rounds through it, entirely possible that i need to clean it better with some solvent.

i'm shooting primarily WWB ammo, so it's pretty dirty.

Hogwash!!! You go out and get a kit and clean that gun. No excuses!!!
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mccree79 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:36 pm

700 rounds through a 1911.... It needs to be cleaned. About 20 bucks and you can get what you need to clean it. Winchester cleaning kit from walmart will do fine. CLP oil or Rem oil will keep it running smooth.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:54 am

New Auto's need at least 250 rounds to smooth out the action and start to loosen up the tight fit from the factory.
Oil and grease is also a very good thing with new "Toys" of any kind. My 391 12Ga. would not close 100% till after
300 rounds and lots of oil,for example.

As a gunners mate in the Navy I worked with 100's of 1911 .45's and every now and then one would fail to feed etc and it was
usually a mag that got bent,banged,or the spring was finally too weak to perform, or dirty.
Bullet design will also cause feed jambs if not the right design or if the over all shell/bullet length is not correct for the gun or the velosity is too high or too low, to work the action correctly.
One reason for when you find a load that works...........................stay with it.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Sagebrush wrote:As a gunners mate in the Navy I worked with 100's of 1911 .45's and every now and then one would fail to feed etc and it was usually a mag that got bent,banged,or the spring was finally too weak to perform, or dirty.

you ever seen one that jammed from being wet?
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:17 pm

On another note: above and beyond getting the essential cleaning tools/materials would be to get some really good mags if you are one that normally has multiple mags per gun. Granted MOST factory mags are pretty good but for a couple extra bucks I'd go with Chip McCormick or similar as they all but reduce a bad magazine from the equation should you have a FTF.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:03 am

No, I never saw one jamb from rain or water.

We had down poors in Guam that were twice the volume of a good old USA rain storm.......... and in 30 minutes you would be dry again!! Just a little humidity in that place.
However we did have a little container that held some white grease for the .45 that helped it function. It can still be bought
in an Army surplus store in your area, if you have one.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:57 am

apexhunter wrote:On another note: above and beyond getting the essential cleaning tools/materials would be to get some really good mags if you are one that normally has multiple mags per gun. Granted MOST factory mags are pretty good but for a couple extra bucks I'd go with Chip McCormick or similar as they all but reduce a bad magazine from the equation should you have a FTF.

yeah when i have some spare money i'd like to order about a half dozen extra mags.

Sagebrush wrote:However we did have a little container that held some white grease for the .45 that helped it function. It can still be bought
in an Army surplus store in your area, if you have one.

what's the name of it? i would rather run grease than oil
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:25 pm

If you can't find the old original stuff something like Tetra works well as I mentioned before. But remember it is like Brylcream where a little dab will do ya'. I put a dot the size of a match head on the slides and work it in by racking several times.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:04 pm

apexhunter wrote:On another note: above and beyond getting the essential cleaning tools/materials would be to get some really good mags if you are one that normally has multiple mags per gun. Granted MOST factory mags are pretty good but for a couple extra bucks I'd go with Chip McCormick or similar as they all but reduce a bad magazine from the equation should you have a FTF.

I have had great luck with Chip McCormick mags
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Coldwater » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:39 am

I use Militec on all my firearms. Especially my hand guns. It's the best thing on the market IMO. Over 10,000 rounds through my M&P's without a stove pipe, failure to fire or failure to eject. Makes cleaning a simple procedure.

http://www.militec-1.com/firearms1.html
The end is near, you got your gear ?
Coldwater
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 am

Militec is a fantastic product. Works great. A little spendy, but seems to not break down as fast as some other products I have tried.

I also still love and use BreakFree. It has never let me down.

Carry on

Gunny
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby jw261 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:50 pm

My 1911 is the "wettest" gun I have when it comes to lube. Don't run them anywhere near dry. I carry mine everyday open carry so it gets rained on and stays in the elements all day every day. It has to be maintained periodically and lubed. Most people find this a foreign practice in today’s world of pistols that require little or no maintenance to stay running good.
jw261
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:44 am

The white grease is a dead copy of Lubraplate that you can buy at any automotive supply, used for assembling engines. I have used it for years as my only heavy duty lube on 1911 Colts and M1 Garands and Carbines. It hasn't failed me in over 40 years and a tube will last half of that if you aren't shooting and cleaning every day.
I gotta ask, what kit do you need to clean a 1911? Disassemble it wipe it down with solvent, re lube, push some solvent through the bbl, a dowl or piece of string will get the patch through and reassemble.
I will agree that a good bronze brush on a cleaning rod will make the job easier.
Tetra is a great lube for a lot of applications but these military style guns just seem to need a heavier duty grease, I see Lubraplate at most Military High Power Matches I go to.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby pifer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Like others said, a cleaning kit will do wonders, if it is still there, you might want to try polishing the feed ramp, after that, if it still isn't functioning properly, i would try a different mag, I have a few different ones ill use. Personally I have had no problem with Chip Mccormicks, Wilson Combats, or Novaks, but then again, my 1911s work fine with the factory Colt mags too. That would be my best guess is one of those problems.
pifer
hunter

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum