Barrel lengths

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Barrel lengths

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:27 am

We all know that a longer barrrel mean higher velositys.....right?

Saw a gun show on tv the other night that blew me away. I would have lost all my hard earned
cash on this bet !!

A guy wanted his .45 Tommy gun redone.................
Shorten the stock, chop off the end of the barrel and shorten it also and reattach the muzzle brake.

At the range the stock barrel length had a speed of 805 fps and when they chopped off 2-3 inches the gun
had a fps of 850 or more..................... So how does that work ?

Does the old .45 ACP with its slow speed have too much barrel resistance and actually start to slow down going down a longer factory barrel? Just shows that you learn some thing new ,every day.

On the same show some dude wanted a 50 cal hunting rifle made for him, that would weigh under 20 pounds so he could carry it in the field and be able to make long shots if needed. Match guns weight 40 pounds for a reason !! Hello.........
Last edited by Sagebrush on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: Barrel lengths

Postby apexhunter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Saw the same show. Evidently there is a point of diminishing returns with pistol ammo velocities in carbine length barrels due to the burning rate and charge size of the powder. I would have thought there might be some reduction but that was a significant difference.

One thing about that show that bothers me...that tumble turd gunsmith with the attitude wouldn't work very long for me. He is too confrontational and acts too much like a KEFT (knows every friggin' thing)...and doesn't show a lot of common sense. Plus I've never seen a top smith whack barrels off with a hacksaw...most use band saws at the least.

The guy with the 20# 50-Cal...I agree about the weight and wouldn't want to pull the trigger on that monster,especially without the normal muzzle brake. But with him trading a 30-378 WBY mag for the new rifle I guess he is accustomed to heavy recoil. I'd like to be his dentist to reattach fillings after each hunt.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:32 am

I really think that some of the gun shows , actually have people that are told to act as "Geeks" or "Do-Do heads"
to add to the shows "Flavor" and keep you interrested or pissed, to see what is going to happen.
It would get boring if every thing went with out any problems.................... I sort of like seeing what the heck the boys and girls or writers can come up with.
Cross threading a $4,000 barrel..................I saw that one coming, just did not know how they were going to screw it up
but filing down the sear too far on the Tommy gun was a 5 star idea...............I'd never think of that trick. That was a great
"Oh Crap" !! Darn near did the gun in.............I don't think they knew that that much damage was going to happen.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:43 am

The little "mistakes" do make you wonder if they are intentional for TV or simply a mistake that has to be fixed. Not saying the guys aren't competent smiths but some of their lack of attention to detail is questionable at best.

Just last night as they built the Winchester repro for that amazing 13 year old Cowboy Action prodigy...John wacked the stock off with a hacksaw with no reference to the proper angle and the damned thing was rounded in the wrong direction. Then fatso kept complaining about the hammer spring rate saying it would never fire. Some of this is probably done on purpose for TV but I would have shoved the action down his throat and pulled the trigger if he back talked me like that.

Anyway, as we digress further from your original post...I would like to see a test done with handgun ammo through barrel lengths ranging from 4" to 22" to see the muzzle velocity curve. Many have done it with rifle cartridges but most handgun tests just go up to 9" barrels or thereabouts.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:20 am

there is a barrel length test for the 38 special some where on the net with
5 types of ammo and the fps from 2" to 18' I think...............will try to find it for you
as a guide line starting point.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 pm

That'd be cool...all things being somewhat equal I would imagine 45ACP would follow a similar curve. Anything to add credence to what John the gunsmith proved on the show.

Speaking of which, did you check out the CRAZY price that animal rescue guy paid for a M&P? I mean, come on Dude- paying $1500 for a $469 pistol with a trigger job and some paint means you just got raped! I could get a trigger job done for $75 max and even with a few hundred dollar custom "Zebra Stripe" paint job the piece would be less than $800.
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum