Best Combat Handgun Manufacturer?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Who makes the most durable and best combat handgun?

Glock
19%
SIG
26%
Beretta
No votes
Heckler and Koch
13%
Smith & Wesson
No votes
Kimber
6%
Springfield
23%
Kahr
3%
Taurus
No votes
Other (explain)
10%

Total votes : 31

Best Combat Handgun Manufacturer?

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:57 pm

Opinions?

I realized there are many more manufacturers but i didnt have room for all of them. Sorry guys.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:41 am

GLOCK=Durable
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:59 pm

im going with kimber because if special ops and swat uses them, they must be the cats pajamas...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:08 pm

I've been very happy with Springfield and Sig. Depends if you want a 1911 or not.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:32 pm

Theres a 1911, then everything else.....I'm biased. All of the manufacturers you listed are top notch, but not a fan of beretta. Hard to go wrong with a sig, H&K, or glock as far as the tupperware pistols go. It all depends, really, what do you want the pistol for...are you gonna low-crawl through mud for days on end or subject your pistol to a scad of harsh treatment???? If your a good pistolero and like class and tradition, form and function, go with a quality 1911, time proven honored design, if you want to bang away in all conditions and just want a pistol to abuse, go with a glock. Not to say that a 1911 wouldn't handle it, but a glock is already ugly as hell so why not. I have a few glocks, great guns, use em for camping and such...if they get a scratch...who cares...its a glock...now if I beat up my ed brown or wilson, kimber ect,,,I might get a bit tee'd, but I carry a 1911 for CCW, so you can guess what I trust my life with.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:26 am

I carry the Bertta at work(marine)and that is a waste of manufacturing time!!!!!!!! Wilson Combat is the BEST handguns to have for combat..They are all custom made 1911's. They are a mix of Kimber,Springfield 1911, and Colt 1911. They cost over 2500.00 for them but in the combat business i want a pistol that I can reley on!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby gone winchester » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:28 am

plus the guy who makes them also teaches combat handgun schools and advance handgun shooting schools. I really want to go to them!!!!!!! :salude:
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:42 pm

Whats wrong with the Beretta? I have one and like it.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Penguine » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:40 pm

Gooseboy wrote:Whats wrong with the Beretta? I have one and like it.

Most kids do like em. :mrgreen:

I think the title of your thread and poll should be different. Best Combat Handgun? Unless you been in, at, or around combat you really can not say. You could say what is the best target handgun, hunting handgun, or police handgun, but combat is an entirely different animal. Ask the Marines, Army, and some Air Force and Navy personnel and you might get a better idea.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:20 pm

Everyone sais they are not a fan of Berrettas but doesnt say why.

Ive now been convinced the HK USP is one of the best handguns.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gone winchester » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:45 pm

Because the berettas we carry are older than dirt, they have problems ejection rounds, the lock blocks break to easily, they double feed, the barrels crack and break, they some how break to where the safety doesnt work, and we had one pistol where the round got stuck in the middle of the barrel...that was crazy!!!!!!!!
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:45 pm

Thats probably why. Because they are old. The newer ones work great for me.

Wilson combats nice but pretty pricy.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gone winchester » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 pm

I have shot a new beretta and its not as bad as shooting the old ones we have. I own a XD and its in my opinion one of the best handguns ever made. Nothing though will top the 1911's
gone winchester
Banned

Postby shocktroop » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:59 pm

I'll chime in on the berretta issue. As far as the TO issue M9 goes. Number one, it's too big for what it is...a 9mm, could be half of the size, weight and still meet the needs intended. Allot of folks experience with the M9 is that it was issued to them, remember the militaries weapons are made by the lowest bidder. There is a significant difference in the issued service pistol and the exact same model offered at your local gun shop. Also, when us military folks are issued pistols or other weaopons, they've been in hundreds of hands, some of those hands didn't know what they were doing and to say that there was a lack of care for the weapon is an understatement. I've seen issued weapons used to pound in tent stakes, hammer nails, dropped beaten and so on. Now, I understand military weapons undergo allot of stress as they were intended for, but when you get joe smoes M9 and it doesn't shoot as well as your buddies gold-cup that is lovingly taken care of....well, it's not a fair comparisson. What I do like about the M9 is that the mag release can be right or left handed, and I've alyas liked the DA/SA and the safety is easily engaged. Also, everyone I know that has carried one in service, complains of the magazines, they are junk, the spring gets compressed and fails to feed way too often for comfort, but again, they're government mags made for the forces in mass quantities. The M9 is a nice pistol if it's comfortable for you, simple controls, user friendly. Not the top pistol out there, but you can't go giving troops a bunch of ed brown customs. If you get a chance, shoot a commercial Berretta, if you've only ever shot an issued service M9, you'll see a difference.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:43 am

yeah my uncle has 2 new beretta's and they shoot nice. like you said there way to big for a 9mm. The military can get better pistols for the same price as the Beretta. I got an XD 9mm for 425 NIB with the holster, 2 stainless steel mags, mag holders and a speed loader.(even got a cleaning kit inside) The Navy is starting to invest in Sigs. We'll never get new pistols in the Marines, we will just keep using all the old beat up stuff like always. Some how we always make them work :toofunny:
gone winchester
Banned

Postby H20fwlkillr » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:17 am

My brother is a GySgt in the Marines stationed in Iraq (3rd tour). They are allowed to carry their personal sidearms. He carries a 7mm Glock. He prefers it for war and when he is on his regular job, Sheriff Deputy.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:34 am

Cool is he active duty or reserves?

Hope he stays safe in his tour!!! :cool:
gone winchester
Banned

Postby H20fwlkillr » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:26 pm

gone winchester wrote:Cool is he active duty or reserves?

Hope he stays safe in his tour!!! :cool:

He is Reserves, but as much time as he has spent in the middle east the last 5 years, he might as well be active. This has been his worst tour. House to house fighting to push the insurgents out of populated areas. He still has 8 months to go.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:59 pm

yeah I know what you mean been there and done that too.
gone winchester
Banned

Postby shocktroop » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:13 am

I'd almost bet my next paycheck that troops are not allowed to take personals over to theater, there was and has been and still is a stink about bone-heads taking a personal over, big no-no, I just finished up a tour with MARDIV, and it was plain as day what the policy was.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:15 pm

H20fwlkillr wrote:My brother is a GySgt in the Marines stationed in Iraq (3rd tour). They are allowed to carry their personal sidearms. He carries a 7mm Glock. He prefers it for war and when he is on his regular job, Sheriff Deputy.

7mm? As in the caliber? Holy cow and people think our troops are undergunned with a 9mm.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby JSODEP5338 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:48 pm

I think he is mistakin. Glock does not make a pistol in 7 mm. More than likely he meant 9 mm, maybe even 10 mm but I am sure there is no 7 mm.
I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!
JSODEP5338
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:21 pm

SIg, Kimber, HK, and Springfield are the top tier, IMHO.....I'd take almost anything from any one of them. I can't say the same for the rest, though I'm not saying they aren't great pistol makers as well. The problem with the Beretta M9 is that the frame rails/guides are too thin and subject to wear and even shear completely off. We canned a lot of them in the 101st for those reasons. I'm a 1911 fan. I think the Sig is likely the pre-eminant modern design pistol. I think the HKs are doing a good job of nipping on sig's heels. I also will not be suprised to see the Springfield HD eclipse all of the Glocks and other polymers before it's done. It's a better gun, IMHO. :mrgreen:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum