Need advice buying first tactical rifle

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Need advice buying first tactical rifle

Postby skydog » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Hello all, I need advice on what type of rifle I should purchase as my first. Here's a little about what I'm looking for:

I'm an hunter hunter (own plenty of shotguns) but don't own any other types of guns because, to be quite honest, handguns and ARs have just never really done it for me and I just don't know much about them. With that said, probably like a lot of you, in the crazy world we live in I find myself now wanting a tactical rifle "just in case." So basically, I don't need anything with bells and whistles but am just looking for a good quality, reliable gun, and if possible I am hoping to spend under $1K. Thanks in advance for the help.
skydog
hunter

Re: Need advice buying first tactical rifle

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:45 pm

DPMS Oracle is a decent entry level gun. Several guys here at work have them andd seem to like them. Mine will be a Smith and Wesson. Piston driven is the way to go.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:22 am

You might want to try a Remingyon Tactical 308. Comes in handy as a deer rifle and is normally under a grand. If semi auto is your desire nothing wrong with the Smith and Wesson. But don't forget the Ruger mini ranch rifle in 223 or the mini 30. Both are dependable guns. :welcome:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:09 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:DPMS Oracle is a decent entry level gun. Several guys here at work have them andd seem to like them. Mine will be a Smith and Wesson. Piston driven is the way to go.

The above is good advise. Also look at the Olympic Arms "Plinker". A lot of gun for the money. Here they sell for around 600.00
ibedamn
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:50 am

You can get any number of higher end AR-15's for under $1k. Spikes, BCM, PSA, S&W, Colt, etc. for $600-$650 you can get a "plinker", dpms, armalite, american spirit, del-ton, etc.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:02 pm

I have been very happy wither the PSA stainless mid length kit on a stripped stag lower. Very accurate and smooth running gun. The only reason I got the stainless kit was because it had the .223 Wylde chamber. By the time all was said and done it cost me a little over $800 to build it. The only thing I'd change is the stock. I hate how the collapsable stock rattles. Eventually I'm going to swap it out for a standard fixed stock.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 am

dont overlook an AK-47(or 74). inexpensive, simple to break down, and totally reliable. i have been doing light research for my own first "black" gun, and decided i cant go wrong with an ak. and ammo and clips are the same price as an AR as well.

i am leaning toward a Siaga right now, but that may change by the time i decide to quit dragging my feet and order one.
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby cONG » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:26 am

Look in to a Windham if you need ar 15. The guy used to make bushmaster ar 15. They shoot any cheap rounds.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
cONG
hunter

Postby erp10 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:01 am

Dont forget to check out Stag Arms they make a great gun and have a lifetime warrenty. You could pick up one of their model 2 T for just over 1k and it has all the bells and whistles on it. Any of their other standard guns go from 800 and up.
erp10
hunter

Postby DIESEL96c » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:18 pm

if its for defense make sure you get something that can chamber nato rounds 5.56 is not the same as 223 higher chamber pressures also ammo will be hopefully plentiful should your supply run. same round every branch of the U.S. military uses. also i would go with stag very reliable and tuff guns. or a colt cant go wrong. sorry this post is late by the way an ak would be the way to go if you could get it chambered in 5.56 also 5.56 can shoot the 223 not the other way around. the ak a very hard to find in the caliber though.
DIESEL96c
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:54 pm

DIESEL96c wrote:if its for defense make sure you get something that can chamber nato rounds 5.56 is not the same as 223 higher chamber pressures also ammo will be hopefully plentiful should your supply run. same round every branch of the U.S. military uses. also i would go with stag very reliable and tuff guns. or a colt cant go wrong. sorry this post is late by the way an ak would be the way to go if you could get it chambered in 5.56 also 5.56 can shoot the 223 not the other way around. the ak a very hard to find in the caliber though.

whats wrong with the 7.62x39?? the knock down is quite a bit more and, if you mail order, it is very plentiful.
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby firedawg1513 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:45 am

whatever you decide on check and see if it's offered on gallery of guns.com i recently purchesed a rifle (savage 300 win mag) from them and it was a great experience. the best part is whatever you buy has a lifetime guarantee. it's definately worth looking at. :beer:
savin lives & destroyin property since 2002...
firedawg1513
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum