New Rifle, Savage Arms/ Rem. 700

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

New Rifle, Savage Arms/ Rem. 700

Postby VTduckman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:09 am

so, i want to get me a super accurate rifle, also to be used for coyotes and deer. I was thinking on getting a Remington 700 in 7.62 NATO, or mabey a savage. What am i looking to spend for these, and what would you say would be my best choice? Looking to spend no more than $450
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:20 pm

In your price range I would give a nod for the savage. The REM700 has long been the standard in rifle accuracy, theres scads of aftermarket parts available, plus any smith' worth a damn knows these rifles in and out. But.....Savage has come up in quality by leaps and bounds. I know some folks swear by both. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. The model 10FP by savage is a superb rifle, but don't opt for the nicer stock, get a Bell&carlson at half the price and just as nice! The accu-trigger is superb as well. I have both 700's and savages, all are super accurate, plus if you hand-load (highly recommended) you can shrink those groups down to nil and build custom loads for the task at hand, plus significant savings and satisfaction. I don't think any of my 700's or savages shoot over .5moa with any load I've fed them. Keep this in mind though, optics play a huge part also. Not saying you gotta get a 36x Leupold BR optic, but you should consider getting optics as nice as the rifle. To not do so would be like putting cheap pep-boys tires on your corvette. Both rifles are very very nice, but given your budget, the Savage seems the clear winner, but don't let the price tag of the savage fool you, it's a fine rifle.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:11 pm

very informative, thank you, but-
a. How much is a 700?
b. Would you recomend a bdl or adl?
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:34 pm

First of all either gun from remington adl or bdl and the savage have extremely good accuracy out of the box. However, extremely accurate rifles need some tuning. A good scope is number one, a good crisp trigger pull is second, and matching the load to the barrel is number 3. I handload all my rifle ammo because..................I can taylor make my ammo for each particular rifle. No two rifles shoot identically. In some cases two identical rifles will act differently with the same ammo. Therefore, custom building ammo is the way to go. I have a pre-64 winchester 06 that will print either 2" groups or .5" groups depending on the round I chamber. Same with all my rifles. I have a 1891 mauser that will print .5" groups at 100 yards with custom ammo. So just like buying and patterning a shotgun the person that spends a little time tuning a firearm will have the most accurate rifle.
C12
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby shocktroop » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:37 pm

ADL or BDL, same lady but with a different dress on. As far as how much...well, depends on what model or configuration youd like. The rem700 can be had at the low 5's for a basic model. You start dressing it up with stainless or bull-barrels and what not and the price goes up from there. All said and done, I think you could get a nice 700 set-up, optics and all for around 700 or so if you shop around. And you could get an equal Savage for about high 5's or low 6's if you shopped some. Maybe a few years ago the savages' were extremely cheaper, but...they've built a steady following, and of course the prices are going up cause Savage is in there with quality accurate rifles. I would say IMHO, that if you were looking for a rifle "A" that the rifle would be 800 from rem and 600 from Savage for the same qualities your looking for. Savage is a quality rifle nowadays and you can save some coin...for now.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:07 am

:withstupid: I also believe the Savage rifles are very accurate. I have seen quite a few throw amazing groups. The only reason I do not use remington rifles is that they have tight chamber dimensions and sometimes do not like hot handloads. I personally shoot winchester or custom mausers...the mauser I built myself.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:31 pm

I also like Winchesters a lot...but can't reccomend even the cheap ones now with the mad grab and huge price increases. I've thought about how much I could make selling mine, but can't bring myself to it...I am kicking myself for passing up several before the plant closed, though (like that Supergrade for $650, now going for about double that).

For $450, I really can't reccomend a Remington, at least not a new one, as those I would reccomend are over your price ceiling.

I really couldn't belive last year when my buddy got a Savage 12FVSS 270WSM. I didn't think much of them, as I was only familiar with older Savage guns. I can now tell you they are a great gun for the money. I now own 2, and will own more. I would replace the synthetic stock down the road with a SSS, HS Precison, or McMillian stock. I'm opting for a SSS stock for my 12FV, but would take a HS Precision as well, and like them better than B&C stocks.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:21 am

I have the Savage Weather Warrior in .270
AccuTrigger, stainless barreled action, free-floating, fluted and button rifled barrel and adjustable Muzzle Brake.

No problems with <1" groups @ 100y

The Remingtons are nice also if you can part with the money :yes:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:45 pm

My 12FV is printing 1/4 MOA groups if I do my job well enough. It's a 22-250 shooting 52gr Sierra Matchkings over Varget with Winchester brass and either Winchester or BR2 primers. Primers don't seem to make much of a difference, and neither does going up of down as much as .5gr. It really spits out whatever I want...except it does not like virgin brass at all for some reason.

I haven't even messed with it yet, just as it is out of the box with flimsy tupperware stock. A SSS stock will be on the way, and action will be bedded at that time. I can't wait to see what it does then!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:44 pm

well, i have decided on a Remington 700 SPS in .308 :thumbsup:
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:00 pm

Theres a great aticle in the august issue of Peterson's HUNTING that i am sure u would want to take a look at. Its the 5 most affordable bolt action rifles chambered in 30-06. Ud have to read the article but the weatherby vanguard blew the rest away. Ive seen these rifles for sale for 350 bucks.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby xfps » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:24 pm

Nice choice on the remington.
xfps
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum