handgun for the wife

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

handgun for the wife

Postby stew870 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:41 pm

My wife has a difficult time operating my xd so I'm thinking of get her a sw 442 .38 any opinions on this
The grass is greener where you water it .
stew870
hunter

Re: handgun for the wife

Postby TomKat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Does she enjoy recoil?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby stew870 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:50 pm

less recoil the better
stew870
hunter

Postby talltimber » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:21 am

I was gonna go the revolver route with my wife. I figured, bobbed hammer, just jerk it out and go to pullin the trigger. I borrowed a couple of pistols for her to try, mainly to see what size she was most comfortable with. I didn't have a revolver for her to try. One of them was the Ruger sr40c, she didn't think the recoil was bad. I told her we'd try to find her a revolver in .38, and told her why. I said the simplicity of a revolver would make it easier for her to understand and load/unload, just easier. She said,"I CAN LEARN STUFF" :lol3: :lol3: I got her the Ruger sr9c, and she's shot probably 150-200 rounds with it and runs it better than me probably. Recoil is not bad, but it's loud, so got her some e-muffs. She's crazy about it.
talltimber
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:27 pm

I like the idea of a revolver over an auto for my wife for lots of reasons I won't go into in this post. I'd suggest in general look for a .38 thats ported to reduce the recoil or buy the gun you like and have it ported. You might also consider a small .357 (ported) and fire .38's with it. The slightly heavier .357 will reduce recoil due to the added weight and of course you always have the option of firing .357's.
The 442 S&W is a sweet small gun but with its super short barrel (under 2 inches) and its light weight under a pound I think your spouse will not like the recoil.
What is she going to use the gun for? I assume she wants it for conceal carry self protection.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby stew870 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:36 pm

I'm not sure if she going to carry , but she has a hard time with the operation of my semi, I just want to get her a gun she load easily and shoot that's is why I want to go the revolver route for her
stew870
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:22 pm

A revolver is your best choice. When you decide on which revolver you may want to think about a laser sight. Makes it all easy. Put the laser dot on the target and pull the trigger. In addition when you put the laser sight on a bad guy the situation generally will diffuse quickly. There is something that is darn scarey when that red or green dot is on your chest. Similar to hearing the sound of a pump shotgun being racked
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:06 am

I happen to not agree with this red dot laser idea, or wracking the slide of a pump shotgun.

You dont pull it out unless you are going to use it.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby California Sprig » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:30 am

You missed the point. Yes you only pull out the gun if you are prepared to use it or plan to use it. But far more bad guys are deterred or stopped just by the presence of a gun. The laser dot and things like the sound of a pump shotgun deter perps. You can always take it to the next level - deadly force. The vast majority of the time it is the presence of a gun pointed at someone that stops the criminal and a shot is not fired. I do agree that you shouldn't pull gun just to try to scare someone, you only pull it if you are prepared to use it.
For more information on this read John Lott's More Guns Less Crime. Research shows that guns are used 100,000 times a year in the US by private citizens to stop crime or deter criminals without being fired.
California Sprig
hunter

Postby stew870 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:54 pm

so any suggestions on a revolver
stew870
hunter

Postby jw261 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:22 pm

I have a model 42 and it is a good gun. The recoil is manageable especially with the light rounds you have to use in that particular gun. It will not handle 38+p and you need to get rounds specifically for airweight 38's. I also disagree with the red dot sight. I think they are a waste of money and the target probably will not notice it on his or her chest during an incident. Further, I have had and trained with an issued pistol with a laser and in most cases you will not engage or notice the dot. Most people use them as a crutch for not being efficient with a handgun. Let's remember that most shootings occur within 7 feet.
jw261
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 pm

My wife is in no way a firearm enthusiast. She was not against me showing her how to use a hanadgun in case she had to, but she had no intention of regular range time other than the few times I took her out to learn how the gun worked and felt while being shot. She is the classic candidate for a revolver. Point and pull the trigger. A break-in is not the time for her to try to remember which lever or button takes the piece off safe. I didn't get her a gun of her own but rather made sure she had the combo to the bedside safe I keep my Colt Detective Special in. As far as recomendations, with something as simple as a revolver I'm not sure it matters too much. I would think any small or medium sized frame .38 or .357 loaded with a .38 would do nicely. But in the end, like so many have said before, any gun is better than no gun.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:50 pm

I have several revolvers but rather than suggest a specific model go to a well stocked gun store and check out and handle several different revolvers. You can also get a lot of good info from a good dealer. I will say that it seems like Rugers have smaller handles/grips which may be better for a woman
California Sprig
hunter

Postby stew870 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:53 pm

I think I'm going with the Ruger LCR 38
stew870
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Get her a S&W Governor. She won't really have to worry about accuracy much. With the PDX1 ammo, it will stop any attacker....except maybe if PCP is involved.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:53 am

Depends how big she is. Some of these petite little things would go down easily with a well placed .22. Then again, if you married Olga from the fields of Lithuania I would at least go .38+P. Hope this helps.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby jw261 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Does Smitha nd Wesson still make the Lady Smith? It was made with a smaller grip and the distance to the trigger was shorter too if I recall. Again, all this depends on your wife's hand and what she finds comfortable.
jw261
hunter

Postby stew870 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:57 pm

going tomorrow to do paperwork on the ruger lcr 357
stew870
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:00 am

Is it for home or carry?
If for home size and weight is a good thing with a 38 special, if for carry the light snub nose are the
most comfortable for all day use but with added recoil.

I reload and found that I get great accuracy with the 148 hbwc fac/dup with around 2.80 ft/lb recoil.
The 110 jhp at 880fps fac/dup 4" load has 3.30 ft/lbs of recoil but will usually impact 1.5-2" below aim point.
The 125 Jhp "Nyclad" at 830 fps has 3.68 ft/lbs of recoil.............These are all non +p loads with minimum recoil and bullet energys.

The Speer 135 at 850fps has a +P recoil of 4.37 ft/lbs with 217 pounds of energy at eight feet per my chrony.
The 158 swchp lead "FBI" at 812fps has 5.20 ft/lbs of recoil but carrys 230 ft/lbs of energy and shots at point of aim in my
snub nose at 10 feet.

Minimum SD load would be the 110 for the summer ,since it does not do well going through layers of clothing or a heavy jacket
and then have enough energy to get to the vitals area.
The Nyclad is a good light load but can also have problems with a heavy jacket, the speer +P load out of a snub nose runs arond 900fps and has a recoil of 4.25 ft/lbs but carrys 224 ft/lbs of energy and gel test show 12" of penetration. If possible try to stay away from the old style Win/Rem sjhp bullets with the lead tips for better expansion at the lower velositys.

Best SD loads are the 135 speer and 158 HP "FBI" load id it can be handled. You need LOTS of practice to get a snub nose to
get on target,even with two hands or a lazer sight !! If you can't fire two quick shots on target, you might need a smaller gun
or pepper spray................

Note:
Many of us make a big thing out of velosity............but with a snub nose, Bullet placement is the #1 ,most importany issue !!!

good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 am

Just got back from a water jug test..................
Tried the quality Speer 125gr Gold Dot at the non+p "Nyclad" velosity of 835 fps out of my 2" snub S&W
with cci500, RedDot at 4.6 grains of powder, that prints close to point of aim in my revolver. Was looking for
a low velosity/low recoil load that might work like the Federal lead 125gr bullet.

The Speer passed through three water jugs (18") and lodged 3/4" into a section of partical board,that was held in place by
a 4th Jug of water. There was not a sign of EXPANSION with this bullet.

Must be the reason Speer loads them close to 900 fps (+P)...............The Federal "Nyclad" is still king of the non+p short
barrel loads,if you need minimal recoil in your loads that will expand, with minimal clothing.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum