???? about new rifle

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

???? about new rifle

Postby labtrainer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I hang out on the Hunting Dog Forum most of the time. When I'm not duck hunting I'm in the Deer woods.
They just made it legal to hunt deer in my area with a rifle (always been a Shotgun, Bow area)so, I'm looking to purchase a good deer rifle and need some advise.
Here is what I was thinking about: Remington Mod. 700 in 308 composit stock, possible SS barrel, I would like to Top it with a Lepold 3x9. My property has a gas pipeline that runs approx. 400yds in a straight line.(very active deer travel) Thought I would build an elevated stand at the half way point so my longest shot would be about 200 yds. Most under 100yds.
Go ahead give me your opinions :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Re: ???? about new rifle

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:46 pm

I have the Browning X-bolt 7mm WSM in SS and composite. Don't think I'll ever own another blued barrel or wood again for hunting. The .308 is a great round to shoot and cheap! And of course its hard to go wrong with Remington or Leupold.

With ammo prices the way they are, I wish I would have picked a cheaper caliber.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby mw46 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:46 am

Kind of like dog training,within reason guns arent necessarily "right or wrong" :thumbsup: . What it really comes down to is personal preference, what you are thinking about sounds like a great combo for your use. As mentioned browning is also a good choice, and I would give savage some serious thought, theyve really upped their game.
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby erp10 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:09 am

Tikka also makes a nice gun for the money, but you cant go wrong with a 700.
erp10
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:06 am

Labtrainer,

I personally am not a fan of Remington 700's.

I had one in .243 and shot a coyote one time about 160 yards out. I was off just a bit, and wounded him. He was still flopping around and I worked the bold to get another shot off and....lo and behold, it jammed. First and only time of the dozens of rifles I have owned that a bolt gun would short feed. A good thing for you to research is the extractor claw. Remington does not use one; they use a push feed system.

I have had very good luck with all of the Savage rifles I have owned; the cheapest one them make is very accurate. Tikka is good, as are Winchesters.

If you have any questions about rifles or shooting, feel free to PM me. I have been handloading for over 10 years and shoot at my private range at least once a week.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:34 am

TK, not to hi-jack, but do you own any 7mm wsm?

I always have trouble finding them.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:53 am

No I do not.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby toolmaker » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:03 pm

id buy a used bolt action in .308... and id make sure you can shoot it off the bench before you buy.....

you buy some premium ammo and if it shoots good....you know you are not getting a lemmon...

little things can ruins a rifles accuracy!! the wrong pressure points on a remington will make it shoot poorly...the right pressure might make it a tack driver...

your out west right??

they opened all those shotgun counties up to rifles???

I want to go deer huntign with a winchester falling block in 45-70!!! but my county doesnt allow rifles

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guy's.
Tool, I'm in Cortland County , middle of the state!!
I'm going to check out Savage tomorrow.
labtrainer
hunter

Postby mw46 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 pm

TomKat wrote:Labtrainer,

I personally am not a fan of Remington 700's.

I had one in .243 and shot a coyote one time about 160 yards out. I was off just a bit, and wounded him. He was still flopping around and I worked the bold to get another shot off and....lo and behold, it jammed. First and only time of the dozens of rifles I have owned that a bolt gun would short feed. A good thing for you to research is the extractor claw. Remington does not use one; they use a push feed system.

Doesn't savage use a push feed also? Exctractor's aren't exclusive to controlled round feed

Either way, I wouldn't it let be a deciding factor in what gun to get
Last edited by mw46 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:05 pm

You'd be fine with a 700 labtrainer. They're great shooting guns!
archerykid13
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:45 am

The Rem 700 is a tried, true and trusted rifle with a solid action and better than average barrels. Most are more accurate than the shooter although anybody can get a bad one. I had one in 7mm Mag some years ago that was a tack driver with factory ammo but sold it to a buddy that wanted it more than I did. In .308 Win they use 1 in 10" twist barrels allowing you to shot heavier bullets but most people shoot 150-168gr fodder...if you need 180 or heavier it is a good idea to setp up to a 30-06. That said a .308 with good ammo is more than capable for deer out to 300+ yards and is inherently a very accurate round...standard sniper rifles have been .308 for years. And Leupold for the optics is a helluva good choice as well.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 pm

I suggest you check out the Tikka T3 Lite. If I'd have found out about them sooner I'd probably have a safe full of them. They are competitively priced, have great triggers, weigh a little over seven pounds with a normal sized scope, and come with a 1 MOA guaranty. Mine is in .22-250 and it'll put five rounds of Winchester white box under three quarters of an inch. I need another deer rifle like I need a sharp stick in the eye but want another T3 in 25-06.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Leadhead » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 am

get a 270 cal. any type rifle. savage is a good medium priced gun as is remington, or ruger. a 270 is a great long range round with minimal recoil compared to the 06 but either one would be a winner though.
Leadhead
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:47 am

Your first choice sounds good you cant really go wrong with that combo. With that said you would'nt go wrong with the savage either I have 3 or 4 in the safe. In fact my go to deer rifle is a Savage 110E in 30-06 that I bought 22 years ago. Savage is hard to beat for the money and very accurate staight out of the box.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:44 am

Well, I dropped the hammer yesterday. I bought a Savage 270 w/ 3X9 Nikon scope, from all I can research it should be a good service gun, I'm about "useing" a tool not looking at it. :)
Now to finding how it shoots, going to test fire 130, 140 and 150 gr.......any suggestions???? Mainly hunting Whitetails, I hunt a mix of woods and open fields, again most shots under 100yds with a chance of 200+, hope to do a Black Bear and a Caribou hunt in the future.
labtrainer
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:54 am

I would site it in with 130 grn controlled expansion bullets and not worry about those heavier bullets for now. They will be more than adequate to blow huge exit holes in a white tail.

Labtrainer, I have 100 Sierra 130 grn bullets I am getting ready to load up for my deer season. I know they are plenty of lead for a deer. Its all about shot placement.

Does your gun have the accu trigger?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:25 am

I agree with TK. I like the lighter gr when it comes to deer. Everything I've shot with my 130's have dropped on the spot.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:55 am

You cant go wrong with 130gr out of a 270. That is a great combo. You will want to go bigger if you are going shoot a bear with it but for deer you should have 0 problems.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:55 am

I killed many a deer with 120 grn bullets, and they were plenty to get the job done.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby labtrainer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:04 pm

I bought some cheap 130's to start sighting in ...then a couple boxes of Hornedy 130's to fine tune and hunt with.
Yes it has Accu-trigger.
labtrainer
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:45 am

I am very picky about the triggers on my rifles. The Model 10 Savage I have in .243 has an accutrigger and is cranked down LOW.
To low, really.
I would not crank it down all the way if you plan on using gloves while deer hunting. Go about half way and see how you like that, you can always adjust it.

Hornady is good ammo. Be sure to post some pictures of your new rig.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Leadhead » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:05 pm

didn't know they still made a cheap 130 round. buy what you plan to hunt with. no need to shoot up the world just put a few down range and see what happens. simple remington corlockts are hard to beat.
Leadhead
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Glad to see you got your rifle............................Any modern 130gr bullet made today will put down
any deer with a well placed shot to the heart,lungs,spine or neck. Might not kill them dead,but will put them down for a 2nd shot if needed. I have never lost a deer with a bullet in the heart/lung area or high lung/spine area with any of the 130gr bullets that I have hunted with.
When I started hunting the Rem bronze-tip or Cor-lok,and the Winchester silver-tip and Pointed spitzter were the top bullets of the day. No such thing as "Boat-tails" or "Poly-tips" back then. Heck,we just got rid of the old 30-40 Krag for the new fancy 30-06 that they said might be better.............then Jack O'Connor came out into the hunting field with a new toy called the 270 and killed everything in sight. (don't know about the Alaskan Kodiac Bear)

but did you know that more deer in the USA at short ranges have been killed with the old................
30-30 Winchester load, than any other round?
Of course there were a lot of cow pokes,bad guys,soldiers and indians back in the old days to help with the
totals !! Still going strong in the forest areas back East !!
Don't hear many that go "GRIZZ" hunting with a 30-30 though........................... :help:

You did good, twice the energy as the old loads and half the bullet drop..............maybe more, that 270 will
do just fine putting venison on the table,for you. If there is too much meat damage you can go to the 140gr bullet with
a little less speed or use the new Remington ultra Bonded 115gr Core-Lokt "low velosity loads" that works great out to 200 yards
with minimal recoil .
Good hunting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:57 am

labtrainer wrote:then a couple boxes of Hornedy 130's to fine tune and hunt with.
Yes it has Accu-trigger.

I have had the best success with Hornady factory loaded ammo. It even out shoots my reloads in some of my rifles.
ibedamn
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum