Black Powder Rifles

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Black Powder Rifles

Postby Webfoot12 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:45 pm

I'm thinking of getting into some black powder. Does anyone have any recommendations on a startup kit or rifle and caliber?

Common sense tells me the recoil would be greater due to a larger sabot than say my .270. But I would imagine they're not moving at the same velocities either. I am susceptible to flinching when I go a long time without shooting. I'm curious to know how you guys find the recoil.

Thanks
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Re: Black Powder Rifles

Postby pennsyltucky » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:11 pm

Webfoot12 wrote:I'm thinking of getting into some black powder. Does anyone have any recommendations on a startup kit or rifle and caliber?

Common sense tells me the recoil would be greater due to a larger sabot than say my .270. But I would imagine they're not moving at the same velocities either. I am susceptible to flinching when I go a long time without shooting. I'm curious to know how you guys find the recoil.

Thanks

what kinda gun? some really whack ya, others dont kick as hard as a 22mag.

u wanting to get a real black powder gun? im guessing u want one of those despicable inlines since u said "sabot". they arent really worth the money if u want my opinion. they take the whole point out of using a muzzleloader. just use ur 30-06, and only put one shell in it...... same thing.

if u want to get a real muzzleloader, like a flintlock, i can surely help. :cool: ull be glad u did.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:04 pm

The wife got me a CVA Magbolt Hunter in line in .50 with a 4x9 scope a couple of years ago. Probably have about $200 into the whole rig. I use 100gr of Pyrodex pellets and the smaller Powerbelt bullets. These guns are bit hevier, so, recoil aint much of an issue. If you step up to the magnum loads of 150gr, you'll notice a differance, but, still not as bad as say my NOVA with 3.5".
This is my favorite gun ta shoot. Puts BIG holes in whatever ya hit, and, the smoke is fantastic. I say by all means...PICK YA ONE UP. If I was gona upgrade id get something like the Kodiak in a .45 cal. Break actions are great when it comes time for cleanup. Dont let no one kid ya...these guns are lethal, and, a BLAST ta shoot....DEFINATLY NOT Grandpas muzzel loader, and, DEFINATLY not a .270 either. ALOT of variables are involved to get a good shot off. CONSISTANCY in your loading technique is the key for 3" groups and true blissfullness :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby JSODEP5338 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:55 am

I switched to a muzzleloader 2 years ago and am happy I did. I bought a CVA Kodiak in .45 and put a Nikon 3x9 variable on it. I am shooting 150 grains of powder, and powerbelt bullets. I hunt over huge farm fields and would not hesitate to take a 200 yard shot with my gun. I actually sight it in at 175 yards. I think the muzzleloader makes you a better hunter because you know you only have one shot to get it right. Just my .02
I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!
JSODEP5338
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum