New military pistol and rifle?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:35 pm

Gooseboy wrote:
But yea i always thought barret .50s were neat. In the militarys hands though.

this is what he was talkin about.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Penguine » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:25 pm

pennsyltucky wrote:
Gooseboy wrote:
But yea i always thought barret .50s were neat. In the militarys hands though.

this is what he was talkin about.

My bad. :oops:
Penguine
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:25 pm

Thats just my opinion. I was going to leave it at that.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:59 pm

Gooseboy wrote:Thats just my opinion. I was going to leave it at that.
and ur entitled to it gb. and i doubt u helped the anti's very much. u gotta be careful about some of the things u type on public forum. the wrong eyes are reading....... and taking notes..... :thumbsdown:
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:37 pm

Penguine, I am sorry that you thought I had directed my statement towards you. Pennsyltucky was right on, though, it was GB's statement to which I was referring.

As we have told you before, GB, if you allow the antis to grab guns that you don't think should be in public hands sooner or later they will have yours! I know you have stated AR's and the like should also not be in public hands, and I know many who would disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to disagree with it.

Anyway, back to the original post. I did not state what I believe the military will go to in the future. I thought the 6.8 was a shoo in for a new cartridge (although I thought the 6.5 Grendel was a better choice). It still may be the new round, but it looks as if the 6.5 MMC may give it a run for the money if it is given a chance.
Last edited by bgoldhunter on Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:15 am

Not a problem bggoldhunter.

Oh, and I finally found the link to the gun I think they should replace the M-16 with. This thing kicks butt. First type of gun to be able to switch from belt to magazine fed on the fly, insane rounds per minute... Just watch the videos at the bottom of the page...

http://www.aresdefense.com/faqs.htm
Penguine
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:33 am

I thought American Rifleman did a story on the rifle that was planned to replace the m16 last summer. It was equivilant to a .270 balistically. I am looking for the story here at the office. ONe of the guys has it laying around. It was an interesting read if I remember correctly. Anyone remember the story?
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:22 pm

That thing looks pretty cool penguine.

Bgold i dont think they should be outlawed just dont know why people would want to own them.

http://www.answers.com/topic/xm8-rifle

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby casey_714 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:01 pm

Just remember GB, that's what a lot of people think about us wanting to own rifles, pistols, and shotguns :thumbsup:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:38 pm

I would love to own a barret .50cal. Can you imagine it... You roll up to your local hunting ground but really do not want to walk a half mile in to your spot. So instead you drop your bi-pod, put down your blanket, lay down with your spotting scope and wait. Out pops the buck of your dream and you squeeze.. BAM! Buck drops. You then get on your ATV, drive out there and gut him and flop him over the back, then drive the ATV back to the truck. :smile:

Just kidding. I would like to have one just to target shoot with. See the eyes of the locals as I punch a hole through steel. We already get funny looks when my little Mexican buddy pulls out the SKS with banana clips and we start popping off rounds. LOL... the rednecks just stop and stare.

*NOTE: No offense meant by calling someone a redneck*

Anyway...
Penguine
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:20 pm

Was that supposed to be a joke against mexicans?

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby pennsyltucky » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:53 pm

easy GB, ur awful touchy lately........ whussa matter?
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Penguine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:23 pm

A joke against Mexicans? Ummm.. No. I truly think it is hilarious when he pulls out the SKS, sticks in a banana clip, and starts popping off rounds like it is going out of style and all the locals stop and stare, like he might starts his own little Jihad or something. Wrap dudes head in a towel and he could pass for a Taliban. And yes, I know, Taliban are not Mexican.

Anyway...
Penguine
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:23 pm

pennsyltucky wrote:easy GB, ur awful touchy lately........ whussa matter?

Sorry i didnt notice it. If i am probably cus of school and some other problems.

Sorry penguine i just thought it was because you said no offense for saying redneck and thought you were joking that you dont need to say no offense for mexicans. Off course you dont i just thought you were saying rednecks instead of mexicans for a reason. That doesnt really make sense. What i said.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gone winchester » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:42 am

I want to carry they 1911 .45 because when I get up close and personal I destory they other person.

We have the M-4 so we dont really need a rifle but the can make it better by making it in 7.62. The M-4 is the perfect rifle to have for clearing houses.

And peguine sorry the air force does nothing but fly....if you want a really job go to the Marine recuiter and join 0311 and go kick down doors and patrol on foot through the desert. its more dangerous then riding in a truck all day protected by ARMOR! And im not saying that the air force is bad but come on.. the Marines and the Army are the backbone in Iraq and Afganstan....The Air force does have the PJ's but they only get used if a plan goes down to resuce pilots...and they are awsome guys to get to meet.
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:50 pm

No offense winchester but i think someone in the air force would know if they do more than fly or not. Everyone thinks the Navy is ships only but they dont know half of what the navy does. Special forces? Navy Seals baby imo wayyy better than the rangers or berets. PJs are great they have 6 months of medical training alone.

Every military has its part. What if no one was there to fly the planes? Marines and Navy are practicaly brothers.

You say driving in a truck protected by armor. Some trucks over in iraq right now are from vietnam era that the soldiers have to fabricate armor for. What if the trucks ambushed? IEDs? Road side bombs? I dont think its as simple as driving a truck down a road.

I know many people in the Navy that are bieng sent to Iraq to do an infantrymens job.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gone winchester » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:21 am

well answer this....Have you been there? Have you actually seen the equip? I have and I know what Im talking about. Yeah the trucks were all old at the beginning of the war, I promise you they arent anymore. And when your patroling through the streets in Iraq, all youll ever see is Marines and the Army dogs. The Air Force and the Navy play logistic roles. Yeah every branch has there own special forces....big deal. They all train the same...I have had all the training they get except for diving and sear school. Im saying that your not going to find anyone besides the Marines and Army dogs walking in the streets
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:08 pm

I just think its ridicolous you critisize any branch of the armed forces. Have you been in the Navy? Air force? No. I havnt been in Iraq same thing. But yes i have seen the equip. Youve had all the training the seals get? Hmm. What a shame for someone to talk badly about the military. Guess who pays for all the Marines stuff? Navy.

Theres no way Navy and Airforce are logistical only. I PERSONALLY KNOW navy people in stratocom w 1 that have been sent to Iraq and Afghanistan to bust doors down along side of marines.

You think you have to be up front with your life on the line to do something for your country? Do you know how many things can go wrong in the air? Why do you think they give pilots so much training? I dont know how many programs my dad has been in including SEAR school.

Oh and medevacs are no big deal we dont need them since they fly right? Nope dont need anyone to drop off supplies by helo.

Ever heard of strategic communications? Recon? Yea we dont need it right? Who cares if someone tries to launch a missile we dont have to inercept it.

I honestly cant believe someone is saying this.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gone winchester » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:18 pm

All Im going to say is Im in the Marines and we critize everyone. Just the way it is. Me and Buddies critize every other service member as they do to us. But no one reads this saying when the get to boot camp." Through these portals pass the worlds most elite warriors." And like I said its always a competition between branches. We all think we are the best.
Im not trying to be a arse about this but thats what we do!
And yeah, I know everyone has a certain job and they do it well. I never said we didnt need everyone else. Im not going to argue with you because you took what you read the wrong way
gone winchester
Banned

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:50 pm

being an airforce guy :withstupid: on this one... dang near anyone will say that the marines and army have it worse than the other branches as far as more dangerous jobs... sure there are the pararescue (who ive met quite a few and they're definately badasses) and the other 'elite' groups, but they are few and far between...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:07 pm

Gooseboy... I did not appologize for saying "Mexican" cause "Mexican" is not, or atleast should not, be offensive. Perhaps if I would have said "spic" it would have been different. Some folks take offense to being called a Redneck, hence my appology if someone took offense.

Gone Winchester... I will not debate what you do or don't do here, I will not debate what I do or don't here on the forum. I have NEVER said a bad word about the Army, Marines, or Navy here, and I never will. I respect the hell out of what you do. Hell, one of my best friends is Marine Gunnery Scott G. Guise http://www.hendersonvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050516/EXTRAS02/505160321/1034 and if you think I am BSing you on this feel free to look him up and ask him if he knows an Air Force puke stationed in South Dakota. I spent 4 years hanging out with him while we were both stationed in Okinawa. He was at Camp Courtney, I was at Kadena Air Base. If you choose to think that only the Marines and Army have a combat mission in Iraq you are free to do that but I know otherwise. I have 12 people from my duty section currently operating convoys in Iraq. The USAF took over the mission when the Army asked us for help. I have had 6 of those 12 people already engaged in combat operations on multiple occasions. Lets top that off with the CAS mission that the USAF has.

Lets be honest, each service has its own mission and no one service can do it all. Sure, the Marines and Army are on the ground but when they need the air support who gets called? More often then not it is the USAF. I am curently stationed at a B-1 Bomber base (Ellsworth AFB, SD), and our planes have answered the call for help on many occasions, and the Marines and Army getting that help have been quoted as saying things like they expected a F-16 or F-15 to assist, and were shocked when the B-1 flew over and pounded the opposition with their loads of bombs.

Anyway... Lets not debate the military and what we do or do not do. This is not the place.
Penguine
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:47 pm

hey thats cool with me
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Penguine wrote:Gooseboy... I did not appologize for saying "Mexican" cause "Mexican" is not, or atleast should not, be offensive. Perhaps if I would have said "spic" it would have been different. Some folks take offense to being called a Redneck, hence my appology if someone took offense.

Gone Winchester... I will not debate what you do or don't do here, I will not debate what I do or don't here on the forum. I have NEVER said a bad word about the Army, Marines, or Navy here, and I never will. I respect the hell out of what you do. Hell, one of my best friends is Marine Gunnery Scott G. Guise http://www.hendersonvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050516/EXTRAS02/505160321/1034 and if you think I am BSing you on this feel free to look him up and ask him if he knows an Air Force puke stationed in South Dakota. I spent 4 years hanging out with him while we were both stationed in Okinawa. He was at Camp Courtney, I was at Kadena Air Base. If you choose to think that only the Marines and Army have a combat mission in Iraq you are free to do that but I know otherwise. I have 12 people from my duty section currently operating convoys in Iraq. The USAF took over the mission when the Army asked us for help. I have had 6 of those 12 people already engaged in combat operations on multiple occasions. Lets top that off with the CAS mission that the USAF has.

Lets be honest, each service has its own mission and no one service can do it all. Sure, the Marines and Army are on the ground but when they need the air support who gets called? More often then not it is the USAF. I am curently stationed at a B-1 Bomber base (Ellsworth AFB, SD), and our planes have answered the call for help on many occasions, and the Marines and Army getting that help have been quoted as saying things like they expected a F-16 or F-15 to assist, and were shocked when the B-1 flew over and pounded the opposition with their loads of bombs.

Anyway... Lets not debate the military and what we do or do not do. This is not the place.

Yea i understand. I was a bit cranky that day. :mrgreen:

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Mattquack » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:48 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:if they cant take the recoil of a .45, then they should consider a career change or a desk job or the airforce... i wouldnt want a bunch of sissys defending the country...

:withstupid:
Mattquack
hunter

Postby kfran1234 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:31 pm

On the guy shot with the .50 cal issue, watch Mythbusters. The whole idea of a large caliber firearm knocking someone 15 or whatever feet is bull. Also, not a whole lot of difference in recoil from .45 to .40, especially when shooting a 1911 .45 vs. a polymer .40.
kfran1234
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum