New military pistol and rifle?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Postby JSODEP5338 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:00 am

the military has allegedly decided to go back to the .45 simply because of knockdown power. Unfortunately the military doesn't have the option of using hollow points. That leaves them shooting ball ammo which has a tendency to pass through. At least the .45 has some serious punch as it enters and clears a big path on its way out. :getdown:
I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!
JSODEP5338
hunter

Postby Michigan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:35 am

How about the H&K G36??
Michigan
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:39 am

Im glad to be going back to the .45. The 9mm ball rounds have no stopping power unless you put a mag into something
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:12 pm

michigan wrote:How about the H&K G36??

HK is developing the XM 8 rifle for the US military.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Michigan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:18 pm

Are there any pictures of the xm-8??
Michigan
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:20 pm

Yeah there are pics of the XM8. Just put it into a search engine and they will pop up.
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:09 pm

gone winchester wrote:Yeah there are pics of the XM8. Just put it into a search engine and they will pop up.

:withstupid:

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby dhudson29 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:02 pm

with regards to the guy who was shot in the kevlar with a 50 cal. He is full of $hit! a 50 caliber round doesn't even have to touch you to kill you, it can just go near you and blow your arm off!

With regards to the .223 it is designed to enter the body and bounce around until it tears everything up inside and eventually stops.

I am a former Marine and have seen those in all branches of the military in harms way in Iraq. I even have a couple of buddies who are in the Coast Guard that have served in Iraq! Besides being in a combat zone, it takes alot of balls to join the military in the first place so my hat is off to all of you who have or do serve!
Semper Fi
dhudson29
hunter

Postby hm_palmer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:49 pm

Yup what dhudson29 said the .223 is a good round simply because it tumbles it causes mass dammage when it enters the body. As a combat corpsman with the marines i've seen some .223 rounds enter in a guys chest and exit down by his shin, not to mention it causes cavitation which ruptures organs like the the liver and spleen its a very nasy round. Also correct me if i'm wrong but I believe the marine snipers use a .308.
hm_palmer
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:23 pm

dhudson29 wrote:with regards to the guy who was shot in the kevlar with a 50 cal. He is full of $hit! a 50 caliber round doesn't even have to touch you to kill you, it can just go near you and blow your arm off!

With regards to the .223 it is designed to enter the body and bounce around until it tears everything up inside and eventually stops.

I am a former Marine and have seen those in all branches of the military in harms way in Iraq. I even have a couple of buddies who are in the Coast Guard that have served in Iraq! Besides being in a combat zone, it takes alot of balls to join the military in the first place so my hat is off to all of you who have or do serve!

Holy cow what were the coasties doing in iraq?

Palmer it depends usually marines do use the m40 rifle which is 7.62mm (.308) but sometimes use other calibers.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ALMODUX » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:24 pm

The 5.56 round USED to do those things, before they started using heavier bullet/slower velocity loadings and using barrels in the Ars that were fast twist at 1:9 and now 1:7....now, the 5.56 pinholes, and that's about it.

The US military is already transitioning back to the .45 auto in pistols. They are also field testing conversions of the M4 in 6.8 SUAM or whatever, 6.5mm Grendel, etc.

They are also fielding test XM8s in all the calibers above an supposedly an XM Heavy in 7.62. Robison Armament probably had the best candidate in the XCR, but something such as money or politics seems to have gotten in the way of their selection over the XM8.

I can get current information on what is in use, etc. as long as it is not gaurded information. My ties to the line infantry and SOF are still decent.

BTW, since we're gonna bash branches, etc. I was always told that the reason the Marines belonged to the Navy was to learn how to clean their shorts.....that true? :laughing:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby drake23 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:56 pm

actually we are trained to shoot in the head! its fairly new training but it is happening! Specially if the guy has a bomb on his chest!
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Postby Michigan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:21 pm

I was told there is also going to be a light machine gun varient of the xm8, any truth to that?
Michigan
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:52 pm

I think an LMG variant of the XM8 is on the wish list, but whether or not it comes to fruition, who knows? I think the SAW and M240 are good weapons....Could they be better? You bet. I'm all for whatever is the best we can put in the hands of the folks where the metal meets the meat.

:mrgreen:

I just think some stuff is 'fancy' or overly techno, but that's just me. My two favorite weapons to have in hand were always an M21 and a shotgun....I liked that Louisville Slugger feel they had to them. :laughing:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:36 pm

Michigan wrote:I was told there is also going to be a light machine gun varient of the xm8, any truth to that?

Yea theres supposed to be like 5 kinds of the xm8. I think they should just keep it simple as an infantry rifle.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby drake23 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:22 pm

i agree if it works then dont change it we have the same SAW we call it a c9 and our heavy mg is a c6 its a 308 and it was designed in the 70s and it works great. And look at the 50cal now that thing is old it it works pretty good too our pistols on the other hand they are old and well there not so great!
"i hunt ducks because were ducks live" Justin Tackett
drake23
hunter

Postby Michigan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:40 pm

according to sources at a very reliable military arms website, the XM8 program was dropped completely in October of 2006.
Michigan
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:59 pm

The search is still ongoing....SOC currently circumvents much of the military test/approval process. I have been told that there are updated FALs, M14/21s, Robison Arms, HK, etc. etc. in 7.62, 6.8, 6.5, even .260 Rem. in use. I don't think there is ANY consensus on what is best or wanted right now, service-wide, anyway. :toofunny:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Previous

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum