Handgun for women

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Handgun for women

Postby Bandedbrothers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:36 pm

I am looking for a handgun to get my girlfriend so self defense and to target shoot, does anyone has any good reviews on some reliable handguns? I have seen se glocks which are very nice but also come with a big price tag. I am looking to get myself a Ruger SR40c. I want a hammerless handgun for her so she could shoot trough her purse if she had to.

If anyone has any ideas of some handguns lmk. Thanks guys
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Re: Handgun for women

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:46 pm

this may sound like a broken record but the best way to figure out what she wants/needs is to take her to a range that either rents guns or has varying models to use as a fitting tool. Let her shoot a variety of guns in the different calibers so she can decide which feels better, is easier to handle and shoot and that fits yoru budget and the intended use.

Typically you'll find a SD or carry gun is not as suited for target shooting as a mid to full size gun; and visa versa. Only she can figure out what she likes and wants.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Keep in mind that if firing through the purse a semi auto may fail to cycle becuase of the restricted space and blockage by contents of the purse.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:29 am

Above and beyond the style of handgun to get another suggestion would be for your girlfriend to take the class and get her conceal carry permit if she hasn't already done so. Not only will she learn the laws concerning the use of deadly force but as part of the process she will be exposed to the fundamentals of gun handling, safety and operation and will fire a pistol to "qualify".
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby cthemfly25 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:13 pm

All good comments so let me add something I hope you consider helpful. Shooting through the purse is not "basics", and not a good idea for a host of other reasons. My "girls" have and are getting small double action revolvers because of the simplicity, safety, and ease of cleaning. Make sure she shoots a couple and takes the concealed carry class, but also a hands on basics class. I say this because some women, never having shot anything, will not handle recoil or noise well. A small 38 revolver may fit the bill. Hope this helps.....make sure the girlfriend is committed to practicing...otherwise, you're wasting money and causing a safety hazard.
cthemfly25
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:54 pm

All good comments. I am assuming that the girlfriend is not very familiar with weapons specifically hand guns. You and her both really need to take a gun self defense course before you go looking for guns for self defense. From the limited information I would suggest a revolver not an auto. If that emergency ever arises and she is in panic mode and the adrenalin is flowing and she is scared crazy you don't want to be worried if the gun is cocked or not, theres a round in the chamber and you don't want to be messing with a saftey. You want to just put your finger on the trigger, point and shoot. And you sure as heck don't want to fire from inside a purse. Again it sounds like you both need to aquire a lot more information before purchasing a handgun and a course is a good starting point. Most gun stores either have or can direct you to handgun courses.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum