looking for a small daily carry handgun

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

looking for a small daily carry handgun

Postby mgriffiths05 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm on the hunt for a small auto to carry. I have been looking closely at the Ruger LCP and the Taurus 738 TCP. Both are small frame .38 and are priced within $30 of each other locally. The Taurus does come with an extra magazine and holster while the Ruger does not. Give me some input on these or some other guns priced similarly.
KILL 'EM!!!!
mgriffiths05
hunter

Re: looking for a small daily carry handgun

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 am

Taurus is not know for fast service turn arounds................
Ruger would be my selection for a small carry. (You stated "Auto" for carry )

.380 will both work with the new ammo and bullet styles on the market know.
Nothing wrong with a 9mm in an auto also..............
MAIN thing in a AUTO is to test 100 rounds of different ammo to see if it will cycle 100% with out malfunctions !!
The best ammo/bullet is no good if it jams in your gun..............

Now if you ment pistol/revolver in .38 spl the Ruger is still the best hands down if you don't want the best .....( S&W)
Best SD +P in these light weight guns is the 135gr Speer Gold Dot with the best non+P load being the Federal 125gr Nyclad.
These two have the minimum recoil and a good track record with the 158gr "FBI" and a 148gr BBwc being the minimum and maximum for this revolver.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby mgriffiths05 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:40 am

thanks for the input, too soon to make a decision. still looking at a few other options
KILL 'EM!!!!
mgriffiths05
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:37 am

What concealment method do you plan to use...IWB, OWB, ankle, etc.? This can make a determination as to the style or model of your handgun. Also you need to determine the caliber. Obviously the 2 you mentioned are .380 but different calibers would open up your options to other makes or models. I'm one that carries the largest piece I can comfortably conceal as to provide me with the largest caliber and/or the most capacity possible. Whatever you choose I would strongly suggest shooting one before purchasing so you can get a sense of the trigger and overall feel of the piece. Some of the uber-compact pistols have horrific triggers.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:21 am

small 380 and 38 spl can weigh in at 13 to 16 oz and conseal very well for an all day gun.

Medium weight guns around 21 oz (9mm ) are a little larger and need a system that gives more support.

The larger 32oz and up guns need heavy support for all day carry and the jacket or pants pocket is no longer
a way of carry,due to bulk,size and weight. A good well made holster is needed for support and comfort.
Any size weapon and caliber can be used with this set up if you can put up with the weight and recoil,just
a matter of what you feel comfortable with.........and not take all day getting on target with your first two rounds fired.

Most SD actions are over in 10-15 seconds on the street................
even better if the BG stands down, you really don't wan't to shoot someone unless it is the last resort or a life &death thing.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby mgriffiths05 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:07 pm

I plan to carry IWB or with the supplied wallet style holster (Taurus TCP) I have a baby desert eagle 9mm semi-compact. But just a little big for my taste for all day carry.
KILL 'EM!!!!
mgriffiths05
hunter

Postby duckm4n » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:53 pm

i carry the glock 26. small frame, great for belt holster......you pull the trigger ..it goes bang!. have cycled thousands of rounds with no hiccups!!.........if you doubt me check ot Hickok45.com then search glock 26 gen 4. nice little gun!! (9mm)....let me know what you think about hickok45. he has a real cool setup.
duckm4n
hunter

Postby Nerdwick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:51 am

I love my North American Arms Guardian, fits in the front pocket like a dream.

My other is a Kahr .40 cal cw40 nice carry gun as well.
Nerdwick
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 am

In the summer and ocassionally in the winter I carry Kahrs, I personally would not carry anything less than a 9mm mainly due to my own ammo/penetration testing. I had a J-Frame for some time but the Kahr carries better and is more accurate. In the Winter when I have on heavier clothing I usually carry HK 45's or full size M&P's :thumbsup: The kahr PM nine is very light and works great inside the waistband, in an ankle holster, in the pocket or on belt slide, my MK9 elite is a bit heavier but still carries nice. I had a keltec but it and every other one I have fired drops the magazine when I shoot them. Most likely due to my grip or hand size but it made it a useless carry gun for me. I have also had NAA and AMT minis and they just were not as reliable as I like.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum