Remington 572 Need Help

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Remington 572 Need Help

Postby drakehntr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 pm

I was given a Remington 572 Fieldmaster .22 slide action smooth bore rifle from my grandpa. I have never seen or heard of one before so I have looked them up online to find out more. One thing I have found with my gun is the letters on the barrel don't seem to match up with anything Remington has for looking up the manufacture date. I know they were made from 1955-88 and assume this is an early model due to most of the guns my grandpa owns. Can someone help me with this on the forum? The letters start with a symbol that resembles a ship anchor followed by XH W. If no answers known on here, then does anyone know of a good resource to find out more about this gun? Great shape, pretty gun. Killed one grouse at about 5 yds, but wouldn't try anything over 20yds...mostly a fun target shooter. Thank you for any advice!
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Re: Remington 572 Need Help

Postby drakehntr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Just found my explanation. The 3 letters were throwing me off. I found out is a December 1961 gun! Now the hard part....do I want to sell it to finance a gun I will use more or keep it for the kids/future grandkids/etc...My grandpa also gave me his 1903 Springfield in beautiful condition that I used for 1 yr of deer season before I retired it to the cabinet and will always stay in the family. So will check out the market on this gun and see if its worth departing with it.
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Not knowing the condition of your Grandfather's gun it is hard to establish a value but a 98% piece is worth around $250. I'd personally keep it for your kids and grandkids as part of the family heritage as it has more intrensic family value than you'd ever get on the open market. Times and money are tough these days but for just $250 for a family piece isn't worth breaking the chain of custody.

The first gun I bought with my money was a 572 Fieldmaster and I traded it towards a customized mauser some years later but I have always wished I still had it.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm

You will NEVER again find a pump 22 that will fire shorts,longs and long rifle ammo.

I have a win mod 42 that shoots all three and it is a classic that will stay with the family.

Long rifle 22's are a dime a dozen.........................
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum