First Pistol help

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Re: First Pistol help

Postby ajmorell » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:My old timer friend said one thing......
"Revolvers don't jam"

I guess that's about it then ha???

Reading through the whole thing, i didn't see anyone mention a revolver. I only own revolvers. My Colt King Cobra is my favorite. I like shooting a gun that is reliable, accurate, and has stopping power. That gun is all 3, and more.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2

Good suggestion. I was reading his initial post earlier and it seemed like a 357 fit the bill pretty well. Can shoot 38 spl rounds for target practice, and full power 357 loads are a very capable man-stopper/hunting round for deer-sized and smaller game.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Who am I to say that "I've always liked 357s" (as a first time owner) but I have to say that they really always appealed to me as a kid....
Thanks!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:53 pm

For an all-around gun that you aren't cc'ing and will be fun to shoot I'd go with a 4" barreled 357 of your choice, my personal preference is Ruger...they are built like tanks and priced very fairly. I have a 6" barreled GP100, but if I did it again I'd go with the 4" barrel (a little lighter, much easier to carry, still very manageable with the heaviest loads).
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby duaney2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Mt recommendation would be to go to a firing range where you can rent the various pistols. Handle them and check out sight pictures features etc. Then rent the ones that looked and felt good to you. I recently went through what you are doing with the exception that I am going for more of a concealed carry with plenty of target shooting too. I quickly narrowed the choice down to Glock and the M+P in 9mm. After shooting the Compact M+P 9 and both the Glock Gen 4 19 and gen 4 26 it was a very easy choice to go with the Glock 26. It actually felt and shot better than the larger 19. The smaller size made the weight distribute differently which for me felt much better. A buddy went with me and he also ended up preferring the Glock 26 over his 19 and M+P. This is the easiest to conceal carry gun with the best shooting characteristics in my and many others opinions. Check out Google and YouTube for the many reviews of all the different guns then go give them a try. G26 is so light and easy to conceal plus with the addition of Pearce magazine extensions will have a capacity of 14 rounds with chamber loaded. I took my time and gave each gun a thorough test while at the range and for me and my friend the M+P was the worst shooter of the three. We didn't like the sights and trigger was too mushy/soft. Lastly there is a huge array of accessories for Glock handguns more than any other manufacturer and their reliability is legendary. Super easy to field strip (5 seconds or less once you know how) and not finicky with cleaning. Lot's of guys leave them dirty and they just keep shooting. If I were you I'd take a hard look at the Gen 4 Glock 9mm's. Regarding caliber: 9mm is the least expensive to shoot of what are considered self defense size calibers. If you want to have a fun weapon that you can shoot a lot, you can't go wrong with a 9mm. Especially if you are new to handguns .40 or .45 have significantly more recoil so aren't as enjoyable to shoot especially if you want to include a girlfriend, wife, mother etc when you go shooting. Higher capacity mags and when loaded with the correct ammo a great self defense round because of the ability to fire more rounds on target faster. Have fun with your search...
Last edited by duaney2 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duaney2
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:21 pm

SAHunter1983 wrote:Go glock or go home in a bag... All joking aside they are ugly, loosely made and not extremely accurate. That being said they are the Ak of the pistol world... you pick it up out of dirt mud etc rack a round in and it will go bang and keep cycling until empty. They are cheap reliable and have a high mag cap and tons of aftermarket parts to increase accuracy and ergonomics. I have seen only one fail in 10 years and it was due to a handload being overcharged detonating causing a $15 part to bend...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I and many, many others will disagree with you that they aren't extremely accurate. Accuracy is only as good as the shooter and the Glock is more accurate then any shooter can be. I've shot from a secure position off sandbags at 15 yards and they are extremely accurate (easily inside the bullseye repeatedly). They are as accurate as any handgun I've shot. Handgun accuracy comes down to trigger control and how you hold the weapon. The accuracy myth is a common misconception, do some research or take time to shoot them, and you won't say that they aren't accurate. Definitely not loosely made either. The fit and finish on all the Glocks I've seen is excellent. Pick one up and shake it, they feel as solid as a rock. Take a look at the Gen 4 models, I personally think they are a very good looking handgun. Check out Hickok45 videos on YouTube he has hundreds of videos of Glocks being fired as well as pretty much every other handgun.
duaney2
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Who am I to say that "I've always liked 357s" (as a first time owner) but I have to say that they really always appealed to me as a kid....
Thanks!

Once you fire an automatic you will probably be pretty bored with a revolver. I know I was, have them both and there is no comparison between which is more fun to shoot. One advantage to a revolver: it will be cheaper to shoot because it will take so much longer to load and fire it.
duaney2
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:08 pm

duaney2 wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:Who am I to say that "I've always liked 357s" (as a first time owner) but I have to say that they really always appealed to me as a kid....
Thanks!

Once you fire an automatic you will probably be pretty bored with a revolver. I know I was, have them both and there is no comparison between which is more fun to shoot. One advantage to a revolver: it will be cheaper to shoot because it will take so much longer to load and fire it.

Bet you $100 i can fire 100 rounds out of my revolver faster than you can out of your glock with a 10 round mag. This is from box to gun and fired. You get 1 clip.

Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:01 pm

duaney2 wrote:
Thanks!

I beg to differ. I find my revolver a lot more fun to shoot, and loading it doesn't take any longer if you factor how long it takes to load 10-15 rounds into a magazine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Willie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
adustydawg2 wrote:Why not try the Sig 25o in 40 S & W, 9mm, 357 Sig or 45. You can set it up as a 2 sum; 2 barrels of dfferent caliber, 1 frame and slide. Works for me. I use 40 cal for off duty carry and 45 for the range. Under 550 for the set up. :eek: :hi:

Now THAT could be an option......
I like that idea...
I am so new to this, I love hearing it all...I am going to look this weekend and keep learning...We we'll see. I have 6 months until license time....
Thanks

Man, NC has up to 90 days to process the concealed carry permit, and it took just about the full 90 for mine. We can also get a pistol purchase permit and the processing time is 5 days. Same process...finger prints and background check. Not sure why it takes longer for the concealed permit.
Willie
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I'm still confused about this license. What is it exactly?

It is the permit that alows you to think about a gun, say the word gun and occassionally touch a gun in NEW YORK..........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:36 pm

You got it.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
duaney2 wrote:
Thanks!

Bet you $100 i can fire 100 rounds out of my revolver faster than you can out of your glock with a 10 round mag. This is from box to gun and fired. You get 1 clip.

I bet I can run faster than you... but you can only use one leg... :lol3:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Previous

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum