+P pistol ammo

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

+P pistol ammo

Postby H2OfowlND » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:07 am

I'm new to the pistol world, so I have a few questions about the +P ammo. I know it's higher pressure and velocity, but are there drawbacks to the ammo? I'll be getting a new XDM .45ACP this spring(currently overseas AF). Let me know what you think - good and bad about the +P ammo. Also, your experience doesn't have to be just .45 cal.
Thanks

H2O
H2OfowlND
hunter

Re: +P pistol ammo

Postby coruptone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Draw backs= price. I have core-Bond in my sig right now and love +p amo. All of my .45 shoot tighter groups with + p but recoil is more. Oh yea did i say price, The price on any amo now is getting stupid! :no:
coruptone
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:45 pm

The only real drawbacks are price and recoil. Assuming your gun is made for +p, it's ballistically superior to standard velocity ammo. I would carry it if I was in that boat, but I wouldn't make a habit out of target shooting with it, though you should put some of the +p rounds through it so you are comfortable with them.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:35 pm

It can beat up your gun a little faster if fed a steady diet of it.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 am

+P ammo is only in the 38 special and the 9mm.
+p stands for plus pressure in the 38 from 17,000 psi to 20,000 psi or 18,500 cup........the 9mm is 35,000 psi
and a +P around 38,500 psi.
Any weapon from 1945 in good condition can shoot +P ammo and most have +p stamped on the weapon.

45 acp does not have +p ammo...............

Any weapon shooting "Hot" maximum loads will wear out sooner,that is a simple fact.............while lead target loads
can be shoot by the tens of thousands and have no effect on the guns. Most shooters use low velosity loads for pratice and keep Hi-Vel SD loads in the gun............if needed.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Sagebrush wrote:+P ammo is only in the 38 special and the 9mm.
+p stands for plus pressure in the 38 from 17,000 psi to 20,000 psi or 18,500 cup........the 9mm is 35,000 psi
and a +P around 38,500 psi.
Any weapon from 1945 in good condition can shoot +P ammo and most have +p stamped on the weapon.

45 acp does not have +p ammo...............

Not sure where you got that info. 45 ACP SAAMI 21 ksi, 45 ACP +p 23 ksi. Check SAAMI's website, they clearly list 45 ACP +p as different than 45 ACP. There multiple references, but here's one:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Went to midway..........
Hornady 45 230gr +P at 950fps

Winchester standard 230gr at 920 fps.

I guess there are some new loads out there.........I don't shoot any 45 ammo, this is all new to me............
but there comes a time when more velosity and recoil can some times hurt your shooting with flinching etc.
Hornady has done wounders with its new powders and bullet styles over the last ten years !!

If you can handle the new hotter ammo, its a plus................
You were correct................
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby mmayes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Speer Gold Dot is loaded in a 200gr +P in .45

I remember reading somewhere that it varied a lot in what is considered labled +P from Manufacturer to Manufacturer.

Someone want to discuss +P+ ammo? I was always under the impression it was for SubGuns.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:37 pm

I do not normally shoot +P ammo in my Colt Detective Special, but that is what it is loaded with while in my bedside handgun safe.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 am

The 9mm +P load was designed for the machine gun in WWII , the pistol ammo was 1200fps or less back then
and had to be Ball ammo FMJ ..............no HP's.

Most weapons don't need +P loads for SD use with the energy they produce. The idea is to stop the BG, not
kill him, since that opens a big can of worms. Depends a lot on what is going down................
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby rew » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:06 pm

there is also a 44 mag +p . i pack that in my bear gun
rew
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:34 am

One thing to remember about +P hollow points is that when compared with a standard pressure load with the same bullet you will get less penetration.
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:04 am

Velocity vs Penetration.........

True they all play a part, also the amount of copper and its hardness or makeup that goes into the bullet
plays a big part on how it will open up as well as how soft/hard the lead or all copper bullet is, covered by the jacket.

Pure lead, cast lead, Silver tips, Gold Dots, HST designs all open up at different rates per the fps that they are fired at.
Most are great SD bullets if shot at the correct velocities for the bullet to work.....this is the secret !!
One reason the snub nose gets a bad rap for its short barrel and low fps it produces but newer powders and bullets are
making it better.............

and yes, you can drive a bullet TOO FAST , preventing it to penetrate due to an extra large frontal area or even having it separate from its core. Most companies give data on how their ammo should be used or ask that you call or get in touch with them to learn what is correct.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Velocity vs Penetration.........

True they all play a part, also the amount of copper and its hardness or makeup that goes into the bullet
plays a big part on how it will open up as well as how soft/hard the lead or all copper bullet is, covered by the jacket.

Pure lead, cast lead, Silver tips, Gold Dots, HST designs all open up at different rates per the fps that they are fired at.
Most are great SD bullets if shot at the correct velocities for the bullet to work.....this is the secret !!
One reason the snub nose gets a bad rap for its short barrel and low fps it produces but newer powders and bullets are
making it better.............

and yes, you can drive a bullet TOO FAST , preventing it to penetrate due to an extra large frontal area or even having it separate from its core. Most companies give data on how their ammo should be used or ask that you call or get in touch with them to learn what is correct.

I meant just a general rule that a +P load will have less penetration with the exact same expanding bullet, even without total bullet failure. However you do get more "energy",more transfer of energy and greater expansion. If you take a +P load and change the bullet(especially if you go to non expanding) you will likely get more penetration.
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum