7.62X39 Home Defense Ammo

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

7.62X39 Home Defense Ammo

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Like the title says, which would be the best round for my AK for home defense. Nearest neighbor is 300 feet away. Right now, I have all 124gr. hollow point Wolf Minitary ammo. I live in an older house so a few of the walls are concrete but a lot are just wood. I'm just looking into it to see if it's a big deal to get new ammo.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Re: 7.62X39 Home Defense Ammo

Postby rew » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 pm

really dont think that firing a rifle off inside of a house with neighbors around is that smart of an idea
rew
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 am

The AK is pretty powerful, no matter which round.

Not that I looked for many kinds, but I did see both soft point and frangible ammo available at limited places online. Probably out of stock now, but the options are there. HP rounds are barely HP and FMJ rounds hold their shape very well after going through objects so both would be poor choices.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks for the info. We had a guy banging on our front door of our apartment at 1:00 a.m. when we lived in the city. My wife had the AK and that's when I got thinking of how smart it would be to fire one off. We live in an older house now. Guess I'll do some research on the frangible ammo and see. I may need to modify my Mossberg and get some buck shot. I do have two .45's but I'd feel better with a rifle or shotgun.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Save your ammo and use a fire cracker or Cherry bomb ............

If that is all you have , try to find a JHP design instead of a FMJ that will travel a long ways and maybe hit a second party ?

A shotgun or pistol is better for in house use,if things get bad with neighbors in the area.

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Sat May 11, 2013 11:58 am

Russian hollow points is what mine stays loaded with by the bed.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby jeepman » Mon May 13, 2013 6:44 am

I would choose whatever round you can get your hands on that will have maximum expansion. The reason i say that is so the round will slow down the fastest when it hits something. I'm sure you already know, but using a high powered rifle for home defense you will have to be careful of where you are shooting because that will go through a couple of walls and beyond with no problem. Defense can turn into offense quickly if maim the intruder, but injure others in the house in the process.
jeepman
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Winchester makes a new round called the Razorback I believe. It was designed for hog hunters with AK/SKS's and I hear it works real well at stopping them. or you can use one of the new Tipped Varmint rounds in 7.62X39. Great initial shock and no exit hole.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby starjcb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 am

12 gauge with a load of BB lead shot best for home defence
starjcb
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:43 am

starjcb wrote:12 gauge with a load of BB lead shot best for home defence

Don't see how this is related to the question about defensive ammo for an AK :huh:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:36 pm

starjcb wrote:12 gauge with a load of BB lead shot best for home defence

BB might be good for de-fencing, but for home defense, buckshot is the proven load to go with.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:07 pm

I'd take into consideration the effect of firing an AK indoors, most likely in the dark. The flash and concussive blast reverberating off the indoor walls will most likely disorient both you and the intruder (if they aren't dead from the initial shot). Might be worth buying a pair of electronic ear protection to wear if you ever use the AK in a HD situation.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:43 am

MSparks909 wrote:I'd take into consideration the effect of firing an AK indoors, most likely in the dark. The flash and concussive blast reverberating off the indoor walls will most likely disorient both you and the intruder (if they aren't dead from the initial shot). Might be worth buying a pair of electronic ear protection to wear if you ever use the AK in a HD situation.

If you have ever fired an AK, AR, Shotgun or handgun in the dark you would know that they all give off about the same amount of muzzle flash. And the noise is comparable on a DB meter especially 18.5" shotgun blast. The AK and AR are sharper but not louder.

My closet gun is loaded with 8 rounds of #4 buck. Stop the threat....

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:43 am

see if you can get someone to load you some cast projectiles with a big hollow point. Ive got 151 grn ones that Im using subsonic to shoot rabbits with and they expand at that speed...loaded to around 2000fps they be hyper explosive...I think there is a 108grn frangible load out there too. varmit loads should work too...the zombie loads will probably be the easiest to get a hold of.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum