Uberti Cattleman problem

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Uberti Cattleman problem

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:34 pm

I purchased this brand new 4 years ago. Stainless steel, 7.5" barrel, .45LC. 350-400 rounds have gone down the pipe, mostly Ultramax 250gr.
For some reason the cylinder does not lock up properly. It should completely lock when the hammer is at full cock or de-cocked. Instead it only locks if you try to rotate it counterclockwise, but rotates freely clockwise.
I think the problem has something to do with the little part that sticks up (or is supposed to) from the bottom of the frame. After playing around with it some, if I de-cock the hammer and let off of the trigger at a certain point, this part will stick up and lock the cylinder like it's supposed to.
I took it apart as far as I was comfortable with (took trigger guard off, removed a "spring" type object to get to this part I am talking about), and it did not appear to be worn, and there wasn't any gunk that was preventing it from working right, etc.
This leads me to believe that the problem could be farther toward the inside of the gun closer to the hammer.

Anyway I am ready to get rid of/sell this gun and it's looking like it ain't gonna be worth anything unless I can get this fixed.
The gunsmiths in my area tend to be unreliable and incompetent so I am saving that as a last resort. Even then, it may be a problem the factory would have to fix, which could result in another fiasco in itself (especially if it's a problem that's not covered under warranty).

If anyone on here is more experienced than I am and can "diagnose" this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: Uberti Cattleman problem

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:04 am

Stop making a mountain out of a mole hole and call the company, most are happy to help solve a problem with their guns
and work things out with you.
Nothing better than the people that make the gun to fix the problem,in my book. If it does not work out you have lost noting but a little time.
Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Stop making a mountain out of a mole hole and call the company, most are happy to help solve a problem with their guns
and work things out with you.
Nothing better than the people that make the gun to fix the problem,in my book. If it does not work out you have lost noting but a little time.
Good luck.

Yeah you're probably right, I was thinking too far ahead at the time. Called them today, got a return authorization #, shipping it today (Edit: actually Monday, my local UPS store won't ship firearms :rolleyes: ). It is actually 2010, a little newer than I realized. Hopefully it will be covered under warranty.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Update:
I'll try to make this as short as possible, but after some shipping issues, I called them to check on it, and they determined it was not worth the cost to fix. They were going to send me the same model as soon as the next shipment arrived. Called again a couple weeks later, said it would be at least 40 days before they knew. Called on Monday, said it would be at least 6 months, but offered to send me a replacement of similar value. Sent me a Cattleman Desperado, $820 MSRP, a good amount more than the one I had before. They said to consider it as compensation for having to wait so long.
Then after having more frustrating complications with my FFL dealer, I FINALLY have it.
Put it up for sale on armslist for $640.
Great customer service from Benelli USA though...can't believe they sent me a more expensive one as a replacement.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum