Help keep me motivated!

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Help keep me motivated!

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 am

I live on Long Island NY and put my papers in for my permit on February 4th and haven't even been called yet for the interview to then START the 6 month waiting period....
I posted a similar thread a few months ago, thinking that the clock was ticking, but I need to stay excited...
SO-
I am very undecided as to semi-auto vs. revolver alone, much less which model.
SO-
Here are my intentions for usage to help you, help ME decide what to buy when the time comes..

I intend to buy a quality piece that will be with me for a long time. I will not hunt with it and won't go for a carry license. I don't need commando gear or macho hardware, but I do want something to be proud of. I live deep in a saltwater area and EVERYTHING rusts. Even the 3 year old SS refrigerator is starting to pit. For that alone, I am thinking of a revolver over auto (few parts, easy to clean, etc)
I intend to go to the range often enough to be proficient and enjoy becoming a better marksman.
Thanks in advance for your advice
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Help keep me motivated!

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Whatever you buy, look for something with the modern anti corrosion coatings. They are making some of the newer semi's almost idiot proof for maintainence. First gun that comes to mind is the Glock, but there are other handguns out there that will also fill the bill. I really like my M21 Glock and my Sr9c for ease of maintainence, easy disassembly and they both hop back together.
Half the fun of a new gun is the hunt, enjoy it.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Mon May 20, 2013 7:25 am

Holy cow, you have to interview and then wait 6 months? Have you heard anything back since you posted this? Or come to any conclusion on what you'll buy? I don't know anything about the salt corrosion but I'll throw my .02 in on pistol vs revolver. On my next purchase the trigger pull will be my number #1 criteria. I have a Ruger P95 and my biggest complaint is without manually cocking the hammer on the first shot, the first trigger pull is so long before it breaks that I'm never very accurate with it. Then I have to think about the trigger on the 2nd shot to not overcompensate, before by the 3rd I've got it sorted out. I sure don't want a home defense gun that takes me 3 shots before the rest are right where I want them, so I'm back in the market. I bought it because prior to that I'd only shot revolvers and was just more comfortable with there being an exposed hammer, but it never occured to me on a revolver the action isn't cocking the hammer for the next shot.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 am

I called them on May 4th (3 months since I walked in originally with my papers) and was told that I was "in the system." Now I wait until an investigator calls me in for the interview and prints....at that point I understand that it's a few more weeks +/- until the actual permit is issued.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum