Handgun shooting

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Handgun shooting

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Hey guys, just thought I'd drop in here and see if you guys have any recommendations on books for handgun shooting. I am a new handgun shooter and also I am self-taught. I can develop a group, but not one worth talking about. Just trying to get some recs. on a book or a good video about hangun shooting. Thanks!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Re: Handgun shooting

Postby apexhunter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:01 am

Look for "The Modern Technique of the Pistol" by Gregory Morrison. This book sonsists of the teachings of Col. Jeff Cooper and is recognized worldwide as THE go to for basic pistol fundamentals and self defense shooting. Even if you aren't looking at SD the fundamentals are universal across all shooting as far as stance, grip and trigger control.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:38 am

apexhunter wrote:Look for "The Modern Technique of the Pistol" by Gregory Morrison. This book sonsists of the teachings of Col. Jeff Cooper and is recognized worldwide as THE go to for basic pistol fundamentals and self defense shooting. Even if you aren't looking at SD the fundamentals are universal across all shooting as far as stance, grip and trigger control.

Thanks! Appreciate it! Will deff have to check that out! It gets aggravating when you can't figure something out. I know I'm doing something wrong, just can't pick it out!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Do you have a range anywhere that you can get some help at as well. I had never shot a handgun before getting my current job. Some help went along ways. My 2 biggest problems were looking to see where the last shot had went, and jerking the trigger.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:37 pm

In the old days one usually learned on 22 ammo but that is not the case today with the ammo crunch...........
so learning on the full power stuff just has to be the ticket. If possible get the lightest, lowest recoil, target ammo
for your weapon, possible.

It is hard enough to learn to shot and even harder if you develop a "Flinch" from high power, high noise, loads, while
figuring out what you should be doing.

A good grip (push/pull)and stance is a must............. locked arms and a death grip will wear you out. Instruction may be
the best way to get the ball rolling if possible but lots of rounds down range will work, over time.

Might look at a few gun shows on the "Sportsman channels" that give advise on how to shoot and give SD tactics.

good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Sagebrush wrote:In the old days one usually learned on 22 ammo but that is not the case today with the ammo crunch...........
so learning on the full power stuff just has to be the ticket. If possible get the lightest, lowest recoil, target ammo
for your weapon, possible.

It is hard enough to learn to shot and even harder if you develop a "Flinch" from high power, high noise, loads, while
figuring out what you should be doing.

A good grip (push/pull)and stance is a must............. locked arms and a death grip will wear you out. Instruction may be
the best way to get the ball rolling if possible but lots of rounds down range will work, over time.

Might look at a few gun shows on the "Sportsman channels" that give advise on how to shoot and give SD tactics.

good luck.

Thanks guys! I picked up a Glock 22 .40 S&W. Im a big guy, so recoil doesn't bother me that much. lol. It is a really nice pistol and enjoy shooting it. I am starting to get it figured out. My girlfriend bought me Julie Golob's book "Shoot". It has some good fundamental stuff in there and it has helped out tremendously. I am starting to get it! Thanks guys!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby Jonny4523 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:22 am

In my opinion, if you really want to get better, start shooting competitively. We have new shooters join us all the time. Experienced shooters are more than happy to teach the new guys. Not only do you learn to shoot accuractly, but you learn to do it with speed while under the pressure of the clock. I've found that most of the books I've run across are outdated and do not teach what the top guys in the industry are doing.
Jonny4523
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:35 am

Helping with trigger jerk a good buddy of mine who is a cop told me to say Fire,fire,fire, until the round is discharged. That's wat they say in the academy and it work good enough for me
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Sweet guys! Thanks! I wish I had the money and ammo to shoot everyday. Appreciate it!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:03 am

Here is a good drill to develop/practice good fundamentals: Start at 3 yards and shoot a slow & deliberate 5 shot group concentrating on proper stance, grip and trigger control. If this group is good (tight, consistent and small) back up to 5 yards & repeat. Again, if this group is tight and small back up another 2 yards and repeat..and so on. Groups will naturally open up slightly with increased distance to target but if they suddenly go sporadic at a certain distance step up to the previous distance and repeat the process until the grouping is suitable then step back 2 yards. To save ammo you can use a 3 yard gap between distances but you get the picture.

This drill forces one to concentrate on proper trigger control and engrains muscle memory for a smooth & consistent trigger pull. As noted above a good idea is to use a rimfire or low recoil rounds to eliminate any flinching or recoil awareness and it allows one to realize that while recoil will happen will not hurt therefore the flinch reaction can be eliminated. The key to good trigger control is to NOT anticipate the click (by taking up the slack then jerking the trigger for the gun to go off) but to prress the trigger with a smooth and consistent motion. Once you can shoot consistently good groups at 20+/- yards your fundamentals are somewhat established and then you can work on speeding things up.

Remember, practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent so make sure you practice proper fundamentals in order to engrain good muscle memory. A friend related shooting to golf in that you don't want to groove a snap hook swing no matter how natural it might feel.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Edge » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Jonny4523 wrote:In my opinion, if you really want to get better, start shooting competitively. We have new shooters join us all the time. Experienced shooters are more than happy to teach the new guys. Not only do you learn to shoot accuractly, but you learn to do it with speed while under the pressure of the clock. I've found that most of the books I've run across are outdated and do not teach what the top guys in the industry are doing.

He is right, your local gun club will be a big help. You don't have to join but you probably will. anyway, they can point you towards the next match and they would love to have you shoot, most guys will loan you gear to run a course and they will all help you. You will usually have to ask for advise as most of these guys will only help if asked, they do not want to sound arrogant ,but you will never learn more than being on line with the guys that know what they are doing. And you will never find a better group of people.
Edge
hunter

Postby hdunn49 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:21 pm

sometimes you can meet some good people at the shooting range. youtube has so many videos out there it's crazy. check there. best thing is practice.
hdunn49
hunter

Postby Quack'emStack'em » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Lots and lots of dry fire. For every live round you fire, you should do 10 dry fires. This will help dramatically in building muscle memory needed for a smooth trigger press. It is also a great way to combat flinching and other poor habits. Buy yourself some snap caps and use them for dry fire drills at home. When you go to the range, have someone load your mags with a couple of snap caps mixed in and you will see clearly any bad habits like flinching, trigger jerking etc. Practice is only as good as what you practice, so only practice good habits, not the bad.
Quack'emStack'em
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Stakem touched on it, get in condition to hold the pistol up and steady. When I was shooting competetivly I took a small forge hammer and held it out like a pistol every chance I had. It built up the muscles in my are and neck to shoot competetive strings, and yes keep up with the dry fire.
The same goes for all of the shooting sports, condition for them.
Fun and Safe Shooting
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum