Remington 700 ADL trigger

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Remington 700 ADL trigger

Postby WAQuacker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Does anybody know how to change the trigger pull on a 700?

I just bought the gun and the trigger pull is like nothing I have ever shot. I have put 50 rounds down range and I still feel like the trigger is a brick.

I think it's set at the factory to 2.5lbs. I would like to set it around 1.5lbs.
"To become old and wise, I have to get through this young and dumb phase."

US Navy ET2(SW)
WAQuacker
hunter

Re: Remington 700 ADL trigger

Postby Jake88 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Im not sure when they changed it, but the "newer" ADL's are not adjustable with a small screwdriver, like the old BDL's are. I let a gunsmith do the work on my new 25-06 ADL and I'm glad I did. I haven't measured it, but it's probably half now of what it was as factory
Jake88
hunter

Postby WAQuacker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 pm

How much did that run you? If you don't mind me asking.

US Navy ET2(SW)
WAQuacker
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:59 am

$60. But there are also aftermarket trigger assemblies available that are easy enough to install
Jake88
hunter

Postby WAQuacker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:07 pm

I saw an article somewhere on how to adjust it with minor modification. The gun smith o talked to wanted 90-180 for the work, lol that's about 1/3 of what I paid for the whole gun.

US Navy ET2(SW)
WAQuacker
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 am

Most factory guns have triggers set at 3# or higher thanks to all of the liability lawyers lying in wait for the chance to sue a firearms manufacturer. A Winchester M-70 Black Shadow I had a while back was factory set at over 9# and without tinkering with the sear the lightest it could be safely set was 3.5#. My Browning X-bolt is right at 2.5 and is perfect for hunting and good for targets as well. That said unless yours is being used primarily for a target gun a 1.5# trigger is fairly light.

Many times it is not just the pull weight but the amont of takeup and creep that makes a trigger feel heavy. As Jake mentioned there are good drop in aftermarket triggers that are fully adjustable and have a very clean feel- Timney makes several models that will fit a 700.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby WAQuacker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Yea, it's completely different from any other gun I've fired. It's like there's no trigger squeeze at all. It feels like I'm squeezing against the trigger guard, then it goes off.

US Navy ET2(SW)
WAQuacker
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 pm

WAQuacker wrote:Yea, it's completely different from any other gun I've fired. It's like there's no trigger squeeze at all. It feels like I'm squeezing against the trigger guard, then it goes off.

I'd recommend you drop in a Timney aftermarket trigger assembly. I believe they have a model adjustable from 1.5 to 4lbs. That should suit a hunting gun well. I know it sucks to put more money into a new gun, but a rifle is no better than it's trigger IMO
Jake88
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 am

WAQuacker wrote:Yea, it's completely different from any other gun I've fired. It's like there's no trigger squeeze at all. It feels like I'm squeezing against the trigger guard, then it goes off.

What you are describing is not necessarily the pull weight but the pre travel or take-up of the trigger. Many rifle triggers these days have very little take-up, which some prefer and some don't. As long as the trigger breaks clean, like the proverbial "glass rod" without a lot of friction between the sear and hammer hook.

As mentioned above something like a Timney that is adjustable for take-up, weight and over travel (the amount the trigger moves after the sear releases can solve your issues.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby WAQuacker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 pm

I'll look into Timney triggers I spose.

US Navy ET2(SW)
WAQuacker
hunter

Postby 35rem » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Can you REALLY tell the difference in a 2.5# and a 1# trigger on a hunting rifle? A little light to be safe, really.

I'd say you need a gun smith to look at it
35rem
hunter

Postby starjcb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 am

Don't mess with it. Too easy to make unsafe. Been there, done that. Light triggers , cold weather , cold numb hands , and cold steel are a toxic mix that do not go together.
starjcb
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum