AR-15 help

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

AR-15 help

Postby cONG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 pm

I was looking at buying a rock river arms LAR-15 hunter but the price is 1500. I like that it has a 1/8 twist barrel, because I think you can shot the cheap 55g ammo right? Plus your still have the accuracy with out the heaver gram ammo. I don't know if the half free floating barrel makes that much of a different, but I like the smooth look. Kind like the coyote ar-15 I like alot. It only weigh 7.3# and has 16in barrel, witch would make it nice for transporting.
IDK what to get but I read good things about rock river guns. I never fired one or seen one in life.
Would it be easer to make one.
https://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fus ... N=90767335
cONG
hunter

Re: AR-15 help

Postby lilfukr79 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:02 pm

I know many ppl with rock river rifles and they love em and have had zero issues. I have the predator pursuit in 20" barrell I got through an FFL friend of mine and it only cost me $1040. I shoot 40gr v-max through mine and it shoots accurate as hell and has never jammed or failed to feed and I usually only use it in december through march here in illinois when it is frigid. You wont be dissapointed if you go rock river!
lilfukr79
hunter

Postby cONG » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks for the info. I do like the coyote gun too. That a good price you got there.
Now I been looking more on the internet, and found out the 1-7 twist is the way to go, all round shooting small 40grm to 70grm. So I can kill deer with out worrying and still play around. I been reading good things about PAS AR-15. Any help would be nice
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... rbine.html
cONG
hunter

Postby Jonny4523 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:29 am

In my opinion, you can build a much better rifle for $1500. Check out BCM (www.bravocompanyusa.com). Their quaility is second to none. For example, each and every bolt carrier group then send out is MP tested. When you get a new on in the mail, you can see the brass on the bolt face and smell the gun power in the package. RR is not known for their quality testing and I believe they had issues in the past with carrier gas key staking and bolt cracking.

Make sure the barrel is free floating. I've seen plenty of examples during matches where this has proven to be very important.

If you're just looking for a weekend plinker, Palmetto State Armory or the used classifieds at ar15.com would be a good route. I do a lot of rifle building for 3 gun competitors and for the plinkers. I've built many for around the $600 range that would match a RR any day of the week. There are several tricks of the trade when building an AR that can have a tremendous effect on accuracy and reliability, specifically around barrel installation and gas tube alignment. There are several books out there that go over this in great detail.

I hope this helps.
Jonny4523
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:01 pm

If its an AR you seek, I have one for sale in Eastern KS. Got a bunch of 50 grain varmint tipped rounds that go with it too.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum