best caliber rifle for deer and elk

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:37 pm

you could stay with the .270 but step it up to the .270 WSM. thatll give ya some more horse power for sure.

but if you gotta choose between the two i would go with the 30-06 for reasons already mentioned. they are a great all around gun. you can get bullets from 55-220 grains in several different styles.

as far as effective range, thats gonna depend on the bullet you use and your shooting abilities. now, having said that, my dad killed a caribou @ 400 yds with his 06 and a 150 grain partition. so, reaching out there isnt gonna be a problem.

have fun making your selection. gotta love buyin' new guns. :getdown: :yes:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby JRockandCash6 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:08 am

I think it really depends on how far you are shooting and if you are recoil sensitive or not. I would say the .270 for that reason alone. If you are shooting 200 -250 yards max shoot the .270 with 150 gr. accu bonds. Get a good scope leupold or nikon or zeiss and go to Chuckhawks.com that guy has went over all this stuff in depth enough that it is scary. just go to the rifle page and look at what they have to say. where do you hunt? and good luck :hammering:
Never go in against a Sicillian when death is on the line! - princess bride
JRockandCash6
hunter

Postby muddydog » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:54 pm

Savage 3006 and tasco scope. The rifles are among the most accurate.
Ive had about a dozen tasco scopes and no problems at all. :thumbsup:
muddydog
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:52 am

A-Bomb wrote:you could stay with the .270 but step it up to the .270 WSM. thatll give ya some more horse power for sure.

the wsm's were designed to give only slightly better ballistics using a shorter action. the 270 is already a hot cartridge, and the 270wsm has almost the same numbers. there wouldnt be a noticable difference on game. and you are very very limited on factory loadings..... if you want a 270, ur still farther ahead in the game to go with the good ol 270win.

that said, there is a bigger difference if you handload.......
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:41 pm

With handloads I can shoot a 140gr NBT at @ 200 fps faster from a 270 WSM than I can shot a 130gr NBT from a 270 Win. Both are very good choices....
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Try this: Argue FOR the .270 against the .30-06 (to yourself). Try all the arguments; Velocity, trajectory, recoil, etc. that are the bread and butter of the .270. Then turn around and argue FOR the .30-06 against the .270 in the same way throwing in bullet weight, penetration, etc......

What will happen in the end is that with both of them being excellent cartridges and the arguments being close, you'll find that it's darn near impossible to come up with something the '06 won't inherently do well.

Sometimes I hate the '06....if you have one, there's about 422 other rifles in different chamberings that you just can't logically justify. :laughing:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby muddydog » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:47 pm

I couldnt agree more ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
muddydog
hunter

Postby Quackattaq » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:48 pm

sorry to jump in late here guys, but, I can't believe noone asked whatkind of deer hunting.

If hunting mainly for trophy deer, and elf, I would go with 300WM (Teka preferably) and personally, I think the .308 would be just as good.

If your gonna be doin a fair amount of cullin does...then stick with something a little smaller...the 06 by far has more load options...but really, when have you ever had a problem finding a load for a .270?
In Texas, I have killed spikes I would have had no problem shooting with a 300WM.

I have never bought a 30-06 for fear I wouldn't be able to justify anything else but a 223 and a 700WM. :toofunny:

-Jason
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:46 am

Quackattaq wrote:If hunting mainly for trophy deer, and elf, I would go with 300WM (Teka preferably) and personally, I think the .308 would be just as good.

-Jason

u guys can shoot an ELF in texas? sweet!!! we dont even have em here! :cool:

whats the reasoning for the 300winmag (which has more power than the 06) and also the 308(which has less power than the 06) over the 30-06? or did i read that wrong?
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Quackattaq » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:45 pm

for just those reasons.

.308 is widely considered THE flatest shooting gun on the market, still has PLENTY take down power, and is as time tested as the -06. Everyone knows of it's military history...and if it is good enough for snipers around the world at 500+ yards....will do just fine as a deer or elf rifle; provided the shooter is as capable as the gun. It is light for it's size and range, dependable, and known to stand up to harsh weather; all requiered for serious elk hunting.

The 300WM, again, exceptional range...but a lot more knock down. I don't take this gun into the deer blind when hunting spikes or turkey, but have no problem with mature whitetail, Mule, or anything bigger. Again, light and dependable, and we all know Teka espec is making a great reputation with this gun.

The main issue I have with the -06 and the reason I don't have one as I stated before is it's range of balistics. I think it is hard to justify many other rifles once you own one, but at the same time, this requires re-sighting every time you change bullets. I don't want to have to go to the range ever time I need to adjust my shooting style. I prefer to pick up whatever gun suits the hunt. If I want to hunt elk, I pick up the 300 WM with a 180 or so grain bullet and see ya, trophy whitetail, same set-up.
If I am hunting for medium game I get either my .308 @ 160 gr or my .260@145gr for something a little smaller.

If I owned a 30-06 that's all I would have, so say I shoot a deer in a one buck county with my 180gr bullet, now, I need to go re-sight for tomorrows turkey hunt down to a 140gr class.....no thanks, I prefer having them both there. A lot like pro-fisherman having a rod and reel for all the various lures he may use.

If this person already has a decent, light to medium duty gun, then he might want to consider stepping up to something like the winmag...or something else that will not only take out elk, but Moose, Grizz and anything else as well.....if he doesn't have a gun at all, then maybe the -06 is the best choice, and if he already has something like a 300 winmag, then something light like a .260 or .270 or even .308 maybe a better option.

I just wanted to point out that balistic availabilty, and range were not the only two factors here....and in my opinion don't even rank among the top factors......hunting stuation is what I base more of my descions off of.

-Jason
Quackattaq

Postby ALMODUX » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:01 pm

Quackattaq wrote:for just those reasons.

.308 is widely considered THE flatest shooting gun on the market, still has PLENTY take down power, and is as time tested as the -06. Everyone knows of it's military history...and if it is good enough for snipers around the world at 500+ yards....-Jason

I'm in complete agreement with all BUT that. If it were actually good enough for our snipers, then we wouldn't be fielding .300 winmags, .338 Lapuas, and .50BMGs. Even a .260 remington outperforms the 7.62x51 for 'sniper' work. It's what we had in use, so we adapted to use it as best as was possible. Not trying to nitpick, really. I love the .308. It does just about all that most really ned a cartridge to do. It is not much fun to use past 300-400 yards, though. It just is NOT a 30-06 or a very flat shooter at all. Look at how much adjustment you have to make in a .308 at really long range vs some other stuff, and it'll start sounding like a click party on the firing line. :laughing:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby muddydog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:48 pm

I think yall talked me into 1 of each .My wife thanks you! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
muddydog
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:49 pm

the 308 is just not a flat shooting cartridge. its prety far from flat. it may be accurate, but not any more so than other 30cal guns. its got extremely long barrel life, and can be shot many many times in a row due to its small case for the bore size. the slow velocity is actually a handicapp for the little gun. the windage and drop are just too hard for the average guy to overcome past 300 yards. (the average guy being the guy who shoots his rifle once before deer season, and if its within an inch or 2 of POA at 100, he's happy)

i dont see the 06 as being as versatile as you do. a 30-06 cant do the job of the 300wm, nor can it do the job of light recoil/long life of the 308. nor can it be put in a repeating short action.

what was the question???
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby ALMODUX » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:02 am

I'm thinking for 99% of shooters, the short action vs long action argument is moot. WAY too much is made of 1/4" more or less metal in a rifle or length of action cycle. :mrgreen:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby NV Guide » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:05 am

My best arguement for not having a 30-06 is that everyone else already does.

I believe that Jeff Cooper said," If you cant do it with a 30-06, it probably cant be done." or something like that.
Dennis

What part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand?
NV Guide
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Quackattaq » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:49 am

ALMODUX wrote:
Quackattaq wrote:for just those reasons.

.308 is widely considered THE flatest shooting gun on the market, still has PLENTY take down power, and is as time tested as the -06. Everyone knows of it's military history...and if it is good enough for snipers around the world at 500+ yards....-Jason

I'm in complete agreement with all BUT that. If it were actually good enough for our snipers, then we wouldn't be fielding .300 winmags, .338 Lapuas, and .50BMGs. Even a .260 remington outperforms the 7.62x51 for 'sniper' work. It's what we had in use, so we adapted to use it as best as was possible. Not trying to nitpick, really. I love the .308. It does just about all that most really ned a cartridge to do. It is not much fun to use past 300-400 yards, though. It just is NOT a 30-06 or a very flat shooter at all. Look at how much adjustment you have to make in a .308 at really long range vs some other stuff, and it'll start sounding like a click party on the firing line. :laughing:

That may be true, I wouldn't know as I said use it for light to medium game at short to medium range (50-200 yards ...heavy turkey, light hog and deer etc) and it is about as flat as my 260 in those ranges .....Never shot it further than that mainly because anything I am gonna take a 200+yard shot on, I am gonna need a heavier bullet. Some might can take a bull elk with a 180 gr 30-06 or even a 308 at 400 yrds, but I know I can't....so gimme the winmag for a good clean kill.

Honestly, I have the .308 as a hand me down, and prefer the .260 for those settings and purposes, so as to how flat it truly shoots at long range I dunno. My main point was that often a gun's setting, not only it's purpose should be considered.
Quackattaq

Postby woodie77 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:09 pm

me personally i like the .270WSM...i have had a .270 and a .270 WSM and the only difference is the WSM shoots flatter and faster than a regular .270...i am not a big fan of the 30-06...i think it tears up to much meat, now all of you 06 lovers i am not putting it down, it is a very good gun depending on what you want it for...i just prefer the .270WSM...but, you still have to take into account the distances at which you will be shooting, if you will be shooting through brush or on fire lanes, pipelines, or clearcuts whatever you may call them...just take a look at all of the deciding factors and make the best possible decision based on what YOU like...now that you have all of our opinions to try and persuade you one way or another...good luck and happy hunting... :salude:
Ready to get wet and chase feathers
woodie77
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:49 am

I have a 270 & a 30-06.............

Both are great .

However I have yet to see a 270 that will shoot a 220 grain bullet !!

A top load for me is a 200 grain b/t with 54 grains of imr 4350.

Energy of 3140 !! A real stopper.............. :thumbsup:
Sagebrush
hunter

Previous

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum