holsters

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

holsters

Postby Michigan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:02 pm

I am looking to replace the hard plastic paddle holster that came with my XD-40 (it eats up the finish every time I draw the weapon and if I try to loosen the grip I loose any retention capabilities). I have a CCW and am looking for something that will enable me to carry this weapon without people noticing. Any suggestions??
Michigan
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:07 pm

Milt Sparks summer special......you can find them on the web at:

www.miltsparks.com
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:20 am

Do you want inside the waistband or outside the waistband?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Michigan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:43 am

Probably inside I have an idea for one that I want that fits on the outside, now I'm looking for one that I canuse during warmer weather where I wouldn't be wearing a coat
Michigan
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:51 pm

Then i would look at miltsparks inside the waistband holsters. Or

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Res ... unModel=XD

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG2.asp

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Michigan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:10 pm

Ok so here's the next question. When I took my CCW class, they went over a lot of things reguarding when it is appropriate to use deadly force, marksmanship and gun safety, but the guy didn't delve very far into the actual concealment of the gun. I know that in the winter, you can wear a bulky jacket and be fine but what do I do in the summer?? Do I just buy a few shirts that are one size up and leave them untucked??
Michigan
hunter

Postby JSODEP5338 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:29 am

As far as a holster recommendation I use an uncle mikes sidekick IWB holster for both my glock and my airweight. For concealment, if youre a bigger guy yo can get by with a loose fitting tshirt left untucked, skinnier guys that I know usually wear a tshirt with another polo type shirt left unbuttoned and untucked. Just my observations.
I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!
JSODEP5338
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:19 pm

michigan wrote:Ok so here's the next question. When I took my CCW class, they went over a lot of things reguarding when it is appropriate to use deadly force, marksmanship and gun safety, but the guy didn't delve very far into the actual concealment of the gun. I know that in the winter, you can wear a bulky jacket and be fine but what do I do in the summer?? Do I just buy a few shirts that are one size up and leave them untucked??

I think just an unctucked regular size tshirt will work or even a tucked shirt youll just have a little bit of a bulge. or some holsters are underneath the waistband.

As for deadly force. Alot of people carry a gun and just whip it out every chance they get. Thats wrong. If someone had a gun or knife and was robbing a convienent store but wasnt harming anyone i wouldnt do anything or shoot him because thats what cops are for and your not one so i dont see a reason to the clerk can just give him the money and let him go as hell probably be caught later. Not if the robber was causing harm to me or anyone else and had a weapon out on me i would shoot him with deadly force. If someone is acting like they will not hesitate to kill you or somebody else and is causing harm then they get shot. Not a leg shot or an arm shot just to injure them. A real painful shot.

Do you have the 4 inch service model?

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Michigan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:01 pm

Yes I have the 4' service model. I guess I'm not with you on the deadly force thing GB. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that by pointing a gun at someone with the safety off ready to go, or putting a knife to someone's throat, it shows intent to do harm. Are you saying GB that you would rather wait untill you got shot or stabbed first before returning fire??

We had an incident in Grand Rapids a few weeks ago where a group of people tied up two employees and a manager of a local grocery store. All three were armed with hand guns and pointed them at the employees as they were being herded to a back room. The manager was able to get free and shot one of the suspects in the chest therefore causing the other two to flee. The suspect died at the hospital and the prosecuter found the homicide to be justifiable saying that by choosing deadly force, the probably prevented the execution of himself and the two employees.

On the flipside though, there was a case over the summer involving a store owner who started firing at a suspect as he ran down a busy street after the suspect had exited the store. That was a big no no and he got stung pretty bad for it. JSODEP5338 looks like you're involved in law enforcement. What's your take on this subject???
Last edited by Michigan on Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michigan
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:25 pm

A regular polo shirt or large T shirt (one size larger than normal) will conceal a full sized 1911 pistol when carried in a IWB holster.

As for the use of deadly force: You can speculate all day, but each individual case is differernt, and I don't care who you are, you don't know what you will do until you are placed in that situation. From what I understand, the legal definition for the use of deadly force is that you cannot flee and the threat of death or great bodily harm is immenent (i.e. someone is facing you and threating you with a knife.) If the person is running away from you down the street, then the threat is no longer immenent (which is why the store owner probably got into trouble). Also, you cannot use your gun to recover property, i.e. someone is breaking into your car, so you shoot them.....you will be in a world of trouble on that one, esp. if you have a prosecuter that is antigun.
Personally, if I was in a 7-11 and someone pulled a knife on the clerk, I would pull my firearm and use it. I don't think I could live with myself if an innocent person was harmed and I had the ability to have stopped it. Besides, I know criminals aren't noted for their smarts, but I don't know too many that wouldn't run if given the chance after bringing a knife to a gunfight. :mrgreen:
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:29 pm

...one other note. You mentioned in your first post about the problem of finish wear. I don't know of any holster that wont wear the finish to some degree......finish wear and concealed carry (unfortunately) got together hand in hand.
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:37 pm

Since a picture is worth a thousand words.....now you see it.....

Now you don't!

(No jokes about the beer belly.....I'm trying to work on it!)

Here is a picture of the gun in the holster (Milt Sparks summer special)

Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Michigan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:41 pm

Yeah you're right. I'm just thinking that a leather holster won't wear it down as fast as the hard plastic one that it came with.
Michigan
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:19 pm

Nonono i re read it and it came out wrong. What im saying is i dont want to act like a cop pulling my gun all the time and flashing it to some dumb reasons. But if someone means to cause harm then ill use it.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby JSODEP5338 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:05 am

First off I'm not an attorney so don't take my thoughts as legal advice. As far as michigan law goes you have a duty to retreat which means if you can get away from the situation you must do so. I believe florida just passed a new stand your ground law meaning that you do not have a duty to retreat and you can meet force with force. It also prohibits prosecution of people who defend themselves or others and I am pretty sure it keeps the person from being sued civilly. I agreewith gooseboy that sometimes people are too quick to pull their gun, and if you arent justified in drawing your weapon you are opening a whole big can of worms that your wallet will not like. However, I do not agree with gooseboy on the convenience store scenario if you feel there is an iminent threat of death or great bodily harm you have every right to protect yourself or someone else. And no matter how justified you are in shooting someone be prepared to get your gun confiscated and possibly even going to jail. I am not saying you will but it is a possibility. There is alot of responsibility that goes with carrying a gun.
I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!
JSODEP5338
hunter

Postby Michigan » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:35 am

Thanks for the reply, I have a friend that owns a store and he has asked me to do the night deposit every once in a while. Right now, that's the only time that I will be packing.
Michigan
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:05 pm

JSODEP5338 wrote:First off I'm not an attorney so don't take my thoughts as legal advice. As far as michigan law goes you have a duty to retreat which means if you can get away from the situation you must do so. I believe florida just passed a new stand your ground law meaning that you do not have a duty to retreat and you can meet force with force. It also prohibits prosecution of people who defend themselves or others and I am pretty sure it keeps the person from being sued civilly. I agreewith gooseboy that sometimes people are too quick to pull their gun, and if you arent justified in drawing your weapon you are opening a whole big can of worms that your wallet will not like. However, I do not agree with gooseboy on the convenience store scenario if you feel there is an iminent threat of death or great bodily harm you have every right to protect yourself or someone else. And no matter how justified you are in shooting someone be prepared to get your gun confiscated and possibly even going to jail. I am not saying you will but it is a possibility. There is alot of responsibility that goes with carrying a gun.

Like i said it came out wrong if someone had a weapon i would shoot. I messed up my bad.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby cookand » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:22 am

I personally use a Milt Sparks Versa Max II for my Sig 229R. I'm a small guy, and I can conceal this combo in shorts and a polo/t-shirt. I've had a few other cheap holsters and it wasn't even close. However, be ready to wait if you decide on a MS product. Last I heard it was a 20 week wait on a VMII. :eek: They gave me a 16 week estimate on mine and I got it in about 15 1/2. So, they're pretty close.

Also, don't underestimate the importance of a good gun belt. A great holster is almost worthless without a good belt. I recommend the beltman.
Andy
cookand
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum