9mm vs. 40Cal

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

9mm vs. 40Cal

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:50 am

First time hand gun owner here (not yet).....
I live in NY and am looking for my first pistol. With the recent gun laws passed in NY (mostly due to New Town CT)...there seems to be a mad dash on 9mm ammo (so I hear) and I was encouraged to maybe look into a 40 cal instead.
I am looking at the Springfield XD and wanted to know your thoughts on the ups and downs of each cal and any thoughts on that specific gun
Last edited by Slack Tide on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: 9mm vs. 40Cal

Postby Gabagool » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 pm

40 cal
Last edited by Gabagool on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:19 pm

.45acp FTW
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby PNWGator » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Lots of good info regarding the benefits of 9 vs .40 over on warriortalk. Bottom line after all of my research was the 9. I wasn't a 9 fan at all, but ended up choosing it over the .40 and .45. Ammo availability is tough for any of the calibers. You'll be able to find what you're looking for though with a little patience.
Highly recommend you also take a look at the Glock platform. The G19 is simple and reliable. Ugly, but as functional as they come.
PNWGator
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 am

Ammo is readily available if you know where to find it. Are you able to order/have ammo shipped to you in NY? If so there's plenty of places to buy it online. wikiarms.com is a good place to start. I just recently bought a 9mm and finding ammo never crossed my mind. 40 isn't that much more expensive (1-2 cents/round usually) so unless you shoot really really high volume it doesn't equate to a whole lot more money.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:29 am

I know there are always footnotes etc in the magazines regarding shipping, but I know a lot of guys who ship duck ammo here, but not so much 9 and 40's....I'll have to look into that.
I'm sure there is some BS about it.
I pretty much see myself going to the range a few times a month for an hour here and there.
I can't see shooting more than a hundred or so a month....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:47 am

From all the reading I have done, it seems that there is not a huge difference between 9 and 40. Personally I like 45acp, have a springfield xds 45, my wife has a smith sigma 9, gonna get her a xds in 9 for her concealed gun at some point in time. If you want stopping power 45 is the way to go, costs a bit more to shoot, but if it ever came down to a total sh!t storm, cost really wouldnt matter.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby BurninPowder » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Between 9 and 40, I'd go 9 every time. In my case, the increased controllability and increased round count outweighs the negligible increase in "stopping power" especially in a "shoot out" situation. I personally own a G19 for carry purposes and the agency I'm with opted for the G17, I'm sure due to the remote conditions in which we work (this is where those few extra rounds come in handy) and the variety of people using the G17 (this is where the controllability comes in). In your case of personal protection, if you're comfortable with the 40 or even the 45, either would be a fine choice. There's do doubt they will do the job more than adequately. And in most personal defense situations you are "backed in a corner" or "shooting your way out a situation that has become deadly" and the extra "stopping power" may be worth it, if you can safely and confidently control it. My advice would be to go to a range and shoot a few and see how they "feel". Not sure your level of experience but for beginners I prefer a wheel gun due to the simplistic operation and ability to easily transfer from a FTF to the next live round (just something to think about). As far as autos, I'm very partial to Glock as I trust my life to one almost daily. Hope this helped and Good Luck!
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:27 pm

The last two years has been hard on finding ammo for ANY gun.................

Our GI Joe's liked the .45.............. the Europe guys liked the 9mm.

Today the law enforcement officers in the USA like the 40............

All three will do the job with the right ammo for the gun and the correct bullet and recoil that a
shooter can control is what counts..................

What do you think will make you have peace of mind? That's what it boils down to.
Would you be happy with a 9mm ? Maybe a snub nose .357 MAGNUM!!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Would you be happy with a 9mm ? Maybe a snub nose .357 MAGNUM!!

:lol3: My N frame .357 mag is about the stiffest recoil I'd wanna handle, which is quite a bit stiffer than my .45LC revolver was. And that's the same frame as a model 29 .44 mag. I don't know how people shoot those rounds out of a snub nose. I will probably be buying a 637 airweight .38 special soon for concealed carry, no way I'd use .357s out of a small revolver.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby hdunn49 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:19 pm

.40 is better, I think. ammo should be easier to find now. things starting to easy up. check online for ammo.
hdunn49
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:26 pm

.40 is no better than 9mm and .45 is no better than .40 as a "one shot stopper" when using modern, hollowpoint ammunition. What is far more important than the caliber debate is proper shot placement and the ability to quickly deliver follow up shots if necessary to stop the threat. It is noticeably more difficult to deliver fast, accurate follow up shots in small-to-medium size frame guns in .40 vs 9mm. Handgun rounds are inadequate at best for delivering quick incapacitation. Rifle and shotgun rounds are far superior, but we cannot (socially acceptably) speaking walk around with an AR strapped to our backs. Quality 9mm ammunition (Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX-1, Hornady Critical Duty, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger) and proper training will suit you well in your handgun needs.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:44 am

9mm all day.. ammo is half the price of .40 s&w and the aerodynamics and accuracy are much better. There both very similar in size.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 pm

thomashamm2 wrote:9mm all day.. ammo is half the price of .40 s&w and the aerodynamics and accuracy are much better. There both very similar in size.

What, where are you buying ammo? Last I checked it was 1-2 cents per round more for 40.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby starjcb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:24 am

It is a toss up. All have plus and minus. Bigger and faster means more power. I like a full 10mm for hunting. 9mm for plinking , 40 for carry , and 45 for old times sake and love the 1911.
starjcb
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum