Varmet deer rifle

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Varmet deer rifle

Postby thaner » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:20 pm

I have a Encore in 50 cal ML I shoot a lot and I am thinking about a new barrel. I live in a non-rifle deer hunting area so I don't use high power rifles much. I have a 22 hornet I use for varmints at reasonable range, but I want to get into something with more power for longer-range shots on coyotes. I was thinking 223, but I was also thinking it would be nice to have something for the occasional trip north to the rifle hunting zone. I have a 30-30, but it's not much of a long-range flat shooter. I have heard some good stuff about the 243 as an all around varmint and deer cartridge. I load pistol and the hornet so I will be reloading for the new cartridge also. Is 243 a good choice and are there some others to consider that are available in the encore?
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:25 am

i second the .243. its a great caliber for varmints and deer. i would get that barrel for your gun if its available. the .223 will kill a deer, but your yardage is really limited and you better make a picture perfect shot. the .243 is a much better choice for both.

now, if decide to buy another rifle, i would look at the .223 WSSM and the .243 WSSM in Browning A-Bolt. they will both kill deer effectively, as well as varmints.

i cant comment on reloading, havent done it YET. :mrgreen:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:54 pm

If using it for both deer and coyotes, I would personally go with the 25-06. It shoots a bit flatter than a 243, and has a bit more energy for deer.

The great thing is you have a lot of bullet selection with a quarter bore. My buddy loads down to 90gr for coyotes, then up to 125gr for his when his boy takes it deer hunting.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:21 pm

i use my .243 with 100 gr. federal power shock for deer and it only takes one shot to kill just about any deer. same with the two that my little bro shot with some handloads that we did a few years ago :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby kykiller » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:49 pm

bgoldhunter wrote:If using it for both deer and coyotes, I would personally go with the 25-06. It shoots a bit flatter than a 243, and has a bit more energy for deer.

The great thing is you have a lot of bullet selection with a quarter bore. My buddy loads down to 90gr for coyotes, then up to 125gr for his when his boy takes it deer hunting.

25-06 gets my vote, it's an awesome caliber.
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison" -Genesis 27:3-
kykiller
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:20 pm

270 :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:57 am

any 6mm bigger than the BR will be good. i would personally get a 243win barrel and have it reamed to 243AI. much better brass life, better speed, still can shoot factory 243 ammo in a pinch. if you want to get really excited, a 6-284 is good as it gets. but barrel life is a little shorter than the 243AI. both are head and shoulders over any 25-06 (not to knock it tho, it is a good cartridge) but the bullets you can get for the 6mm's are gonna be better for ur purpose.

since you reload, the AI or 6-284 would be much better and more fun to shoot. check out www.longrangehunting.com those guys KNOW their stuff when it comes to rifles
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum