Just bought my first working rifle!!

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Just bought my first working rifle!!

Postby bianchinut » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:27 am

Hi all. I finally bought my first working rifle! :getdown: Starting off slowly, I went with a Marlin Model 60 22lr. I already have a Savage 24H-DL (22 WMR/20 gauge), but the spring on the 20 gauge firing pin needs to be replaced and I am fearful to shoot it until I replace the spring because I don't want to snap the firing pin. Anyway, I will be equiping the new gun with a 4x32 Bushnell scope and it will become my late season squirrel gun (when it becomes to hard to sneek up for a shotgun). I will keep everyone posted on the progress, but in the mean time would like some opinions on rimfire scopes. What does everyone think of the Bushnell series? I would like to keep the scope price below $125. I don't want to pay more for the scope than for the gun. Any advice/opinions are always welcome. Thanks for the input.
bianchinut
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Bushnell, simmons, and Tasco all make good rimfire scopes.....just make sure it IS a rimfire scope or has an adjustable objective. Most big game scopes have their parallax set for 100 yards. Rimfire scopes, it's set for 50 yards, your most common median range for shooting a .22. Using a fixed objective big game scope on a .22 can cause some 'walking' on target at 75 yards and under....you can lock the gun in a vise, put the crosshairs on the target, then move your head slightly forward, back, and side to side while leaving the rifle still and watch the crosshairs shift off the target. This means that if you aren't EXACTLY welded in the same spot every time you pull the trigger, you can be off target through no fault of your own. Many times it's not critical....but if you are trying to shoot a squirrel in the head at 50 yards wiht a rifle that groups an inch @ 50 with a scope that has some parallax issue of an inch @ 50, then you are gonna see some issues on occasion. :mrgreen:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby bianchinut » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:13 pm

I have read articles on the paralax issue and I will definately make sure it is marked for rimfire. I was looking at the bushnell rimfire series actually. It seems like a good little scope and the paralax is set at 50 yards.
bianchinut
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum