What is the best way to go about getting this type of gun

Buy one from a reputable manufacturer
59%
Build one from acquired parts
41%

Total votes : 17

AR-15 type rifle

Postby Michigan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:25 pm

I'm looking into possibly buying one of these types of firearms in 308 and would like to know what your opinions are.
Michigan
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 pm

Depends what you are looking for. I would probably build it and get exactly what you want. And probably still cheaper than buying one new...

I figured I could build one with a LMT Modstock and the forearm I want, along with the other goodies (including choosing the lower) for about the same money as a low end Bushmaster. A bit more if I wanted to go with a better barrel.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 pm

i personally would rather build one. that way you would have exactly what you want. plus its a lot funner doing it that way. check out www.ar15.com for all the info you would ever need on building one and where to get parts :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ALMODUX » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:01 pm

whichever you had rather do.....seriously....expect the possibility of not getting it quite right the first time on your first build, though.....but it will be fun and you'll learn more. I still think you can be more cost effective with a bought or kit AR, but cost ain't everything. :salude:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby Michigan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:34 pm

Does the reciever in the kits come with the bolt, firing pin and trigger assembly already in place or would I have to put those parts together as well?
Michigan
hunter

Postby Michigan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:44 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:www.ar15.com

Wow, that is my new second favorite website. If my screen isn't blue, it's going to be black. :laughing:
Michigan
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:17 pm

yeah i was looking into building a m-4 when i found it. did you check out the picture threads on people's custom builds? there are some super sweet ones in there :eek:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Michigan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:23 pm

I tried but I couldn't get to some of the forums even though I was logged on. My computer was acting up.
Michigan
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Any of yall looked at the Sig 556? It might be my next'un....if I can hide the money trail. :yes:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby Michigan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:00 pm

I was looking at the 556 and also the HK 416. Does the 416 come in a civilian model?
Michigan
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:36 pm

Michigan wrote:I was looking at the 556 and also the HK 416. Does the 416 come in a civilian model?

There was a rumor that a few of the uppers got out into the civilian market, but who knows? As I understand it, the 416 is not offered outside the LE/Military community right now....too bad. :hammering:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:48 pm

I've looked at the 556, and it's pretty nice. I just don't have BRD bad enough to get one yet. I'm saving my money for a GAP or R&D...I have LRRD (long range rifle diease)...

ALMODUX, I have an easy solution for you. Just sell me some A5's on the cheap, and you can slide right into one!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:23 pm

:laughing: I actually have one for sale right now and maybe another soon.....my addiction to them things is BAD! :laughing:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:09 pm

great now i'm looking again. thanks a lot michigan :pissed:

so how easy is it to assemble a stripped receiver and a parts kit for an ar? i know i'd end up taking it all apart anyways because that's what i end up doing with all my guns, paintball guns, and everything else. i dont know if i'm man enough to do the upper though. i may just have to buy the complete assembly for that one if i ever get some money to get started.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ALMODUX » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:19 pm

Headspacing, barrel tension/indexing, gas tube alignment, a strange spring or two, roll pins, sights, etc. are the issues with assembling an upper receiver from scratch. Also, it's really not that hard, but to do it all RIGHT, you really should have some special tools and gauges, blocks for vice, etc. Can you do it? Yes. Is it worth the time and effort? Not really, IMHO. I've done it, and I wouldn't do it again for my own tomorrow. I'd buy an upper or maybe re-barrel an upper at most. Just my .02....but the further down the road I go I like to wrok on things I like to work on, and assembling an AR upper is not something I see as worthwhile, in a practical sense. I'd much rather use that time and effort adding a rail system, grips, new sight, free-floating, better gas block, etc.....too far down the road, and you WILL have practically built an upper, but doing it a bit at a time for what's seen as an improvement seems much more enjoyable to me now. :mrgreen:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:31 pm

what about the lower? i found a stripped one that i like the looks of. with that and the parts kit it'll be right around the same price, but looking at the tutorial it doesnt look overly difficult and plus i would know how everything works.

(sorry michigan for hijacking this, but i blame you for me wanting one again :getdown: )
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ALMODUX » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:37 pm

The lower is easy....get the trigger stuff right and the rest is simple. I will say this: Be concious that you are using hardened steel pins to hold parts in an ALLOY receiver. Which will wear first? there are remedies for this, but don't sit around all day taking the pins in and out of your trigger group. :mrgreen:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:00 pm

If you wanted to save a few hundred just buy a barreled upper and a lower. Pm me and ill give you a link where you can get a great deal.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby big savage » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:30 pm

I bought a DPMS barreled upper (flat top, low profile gas block, 24" stainless bull barrel with a 1:9 twist) from midwayusa.com and I'm going through a friend of mine to get the rock river lower with the two stage match trigger and collapisible 6 position stock.

I had to send my upper back to midway though. It got damaged during shipping. I had one small ding on the upper rail where my front scope ring would mount, and there was a ding or two on the forward assist thumbstud. I could have lived with the forward assist being dinged, or just swap out the button, but that gouge in the picatinny rail kind of scared me.

Once I mount that big chunk-o-glass on top of it I want it to be solid.

Later on down the road I'll probably buy a 16" barreled flattop upper and put an eotech on it for when we're just playing around or if I ever decide to get into 3gun.
If it hops, it drops. If it flies, it dies.
big savage
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum