270 Remington

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

270 Remington

Postby portahunter » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:57 pm

Well, I've got a 270 Remington that has been giving me problems since I got it 4 yrs. ago. We've never been able to get it sighted in and we've put 4 scopes on it. Three of the scopes where good scopes that had been successfully sighted in on other guns. Right now I got it at a friends who is a big time gun person and he's looking at it for me. Anybody know what it might be. It never been taken hunting because it's never been sighted in. I'm in no hurry either. Haven't been deer hunting in 3 yrs.
portahunter
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:11 pm

1.) make sure that all the screws on the bases and rings are tight (most common problem with not being able to sight in).

2.) Check the stock and make sure that there is no wood/plastic pushing against the barrel.

Good luck.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby portahunter » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:15 pm

Screws were the first thing we checked and they were tight. It just keeps jumping all over the place. Never shots in the same spot twice.
portahunter
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:13 pm

I know it my be rare but I have heard of recievers being drilled off center. You might try replacing the rings and bases, and check the bedding on the stock, It is rare for a Remington rifle in .270 not to shoot
well.
muddydog
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:04 pm

how often do you slug the fouling out of the barrel? my dad has a 243 that never shot well, just like ur problem, and after 4 hours of scrubbing with birchwood caseys bore scrub it shoots great.

and i bet you have loose bolts and wood touching the barrel...
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:25 pm

Let the barrel cool. Ive got a cheapo Model 710 that is deadly accurate, but, shots will drift after 5 or 6 consecutive shots :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby portahunter » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:08 pm

It starts jumping even after the first shot. It as synthetic stock gun and the bore is cleaned after about every 1 box we shoot through it. I might mess with it a little this summer and see what happens.
portahunter
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:17 pm

Have you checked the barrel channel, stock, bedding blocks, etc.? If you're sure it ain't the scope, check the stock. If it's not the stock, start checking the headspace, chamber, and receiver/barrel interface, etc. Also, if you could post up details of what it's actually doing it might help with some ideas....vertical/horizontal stringing, wandering zero, third shot flier, what direction it seems to throw a shot, etc. :mrgreen: Nothing ever shoots in the same place twice, but are they all to 3 o'clock, random in a 6" pattern, etc.?
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:53 pm

ALMO, you just beat me to it. Below is what I would reccommend for a Remmy 700

I would check first (if you did not when switching scopes) mounts and rings. Next, the barrel and action channels, paying close attention to the tang area. The barrel should not touch the stock at all (do the dollar bill test), and tang should not be binding. Bedding the action can only help, and installing pillars will help as well. Torque the action screws to 65 in lb.

After that, you are looking at barrel/action problems as ALMODUX said. However, I am willing to bet you problem is solved before this.

+1 on the interest on how the rifle is shooting.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:52 pm

What kind of shells are you shooting? How much oil are you putting in the barrel?

Go clean your gun. MAKE 10000% sure that there is no oil in the barrel.

Also, go get a bore snake and clean your gun every 10 rounds. If you are wanting better groups clean after every 5
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:38 pm

The thing is, while a rifle barrel should not be left 'dirty', I've seen more that shoot better with a little fouling than completely clean and lightly oiled. I've also yet to see much accuracy degradation from light fouling in a barrel....let's say in the 250-500 round count range. Not many bolt action hunting rifles see that many rounds between cleanings. We used to torture M24 Sniper rifles by firing them in rapid fire, without cleaning, until we saw the groups get nuts. I can't remember actual round counts from those guys, but some of them went over 500 rounds without noticeable loss of accuracy. Of course, you could get another rifle that goes nuts after 100 rounds and no swabbing. Having said all of that, I'm not sure there has been enough firing of this rifle to break the barrel IN properly, much less foul it enough to cause issues. It is worth going through a break-in process to see what that does, as some can be very rough and inconsistent off the rack until the bores are smoothed out. :mrgreen:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum