scope

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

scope

Postby 1 of each » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:53 pm

I have just won a .17 cal. at a DU dinner . I was looking for a scope planing on a Leupold looking for info on size fixed or vari. 40 mm or ?

thanks for the advise. :thumbsup:
just because there is a blind in a rice check doesn't mean theres any ducks
1 of each
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:15 pm

I take it this is the 17HMR Savage that DU has in their package?
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 pm

Sounds like a nice gun, I have been looking at getting a .17 for awhile now but can see a use for it other than plinking but thats what my .22 is for. Anyways, About a scope. What you would want to get all depends on what your going to be doing with it.

About power, I dont think it matters, most deer rifles are about a 3-12 and that works great for about everything, but a fixed 10 would also be a great all around also. Just remember on those hot days if you get a huge high power scope like somthing that goes up to 42x or something nuts like that, you are not going to see your target because of the heat waves in the air and off the barrel.

Objective lenses, a bigger lens = more light transmission into the scope which means its will be easier to see your target and reticle in low light conditions.

Reticles, I would recommend a basic style of cross hair like the leupold duplex, but really its up to you so get somthing you like, I just think that the reticles with the bullet drop compensators and other unnecessary thing and the mil-dot only add clutter.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:59 pm

i would get a variable over a fixed any day. as far as power, that all depends on how far you plan on shooting.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby muddydog » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:18 pm

I know everyone will laugh But I honestly prefer a Tasco over all others.
Been shooting them for years on everything from .22 to .300 Mags, never had one fail yet. You can get one at walmart for about $30.00 and get another savage rifle for the price difference in Leupold! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
muddydog
hunter

Postby 1 of each » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:06 pm

you are right I am :laughing: at you have you ever looked through a good set of optics ? a nice scope will make an average gun great :thumbsup: put a cheap scope on a weatheryby :thumbsdown:
1 of each
hunter

Postby muddydog » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:36 pm

I have and my eye cant see the difference at least not 200.00 worth. Go ahead and laugh. Ill laugh to ,all the way to the bank! :toofunny: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
muddydog
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:54 pm

:withstupid:

I'm with ya, I have a cheap $70 barska scope on my .308 and a $200 leupold on a .243, and one of my friends has like a $500 Nikon scope on his .270. Now there is a differnece between all three but in my opinion there isnt that much of a diffenece between them to make me by another expensive scope. The barska works just fine for me. All three have a lifetime warranty, and are shock, water and fog proof.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby muddydog » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:39 pm

Ive had adjustment problems with 2 leupold scopes about 15 yrs. ago . I havent had one recently though ,Ive also had problems with simmons and bushnell . The tasco scopes Ive had have never gave a problem! I also
own Barska binos for 3 yrs. and have excellent service even got them wet. Most times you get what you pay for but not always. Take Savage rifles for instance . They are cheap and ugly but for the money they will
outshoot most out of the box rifles made. Tasco is the same. I dont know
about warranty service though, a dealer told me you could drive a tent stake with one and they would make it right. By the way I can shoot under
1MOA with all my rifles and Tasco scopes! I do like the NIkon scopes but
they too are overpriced because everyone on TV uses them.
muddydog
hunter

Postby 1 of each » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:29 pm

muddydog you are absolutely right the only thing that matters is if you kill what you shot at :thumbsup: one thing is for sure not the same thing works for everybody thanks for your advice :salude:
1 of each
hunter

Postby muddydog » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Your welcome, I just like Tasco, I really think
you wont go wrong with Leupold either, I know they make a good product as well
Let us know how it shoots when you get it mounted! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
muddydog
hunter

Postby billy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:54 am

Any scope should be fine at 12 noon on a sunny day. It's when the sun is low and the shaddows are long that the Leopold pays for itself. The difference is in the quality of the glass and how well it soaks up the light
billy
hunter

Postby big savage » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:15 pm

Pick up a nice 3-9 x40mm with a lot of light transmission (leupold, nikon, burris, weaver, etc etc) and it will work great on that gun.

Two of the guys that I go varminting with use 3-9 variables on that gun and it's all you need. Overglassing that gun just isn't going to do much but burn a hole in your pocketbook. In a good wind that .17 is going to move around a bit, so anything over 100 yards on a windy day is sketchy...but boy is it fun to shoot.

Did you get one with the accutrigger? If you did, congrats. There's nothing like being able to take that 6+ pound lawyers trigger and dial it down to 3 or less for a smooth shooting gun right out of the box.
If it hops, it drops. If it flies, it dies.
big savage
hunter

Postby quackhunter » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:59 am

For a 17 I believe the most versitile power range would be a 4-12 or a 4-16. I have shot many 17's with many scopes. My personal 17 has a 6-24 on it and I never have regretted it.
quackhunter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum