Springfield 03 Sporterized

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Springfield 03 Sporterized

Postby Ufly-Udie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:52 pm

Do any of you fellas know much about these and what it may be worth? I hunted with it for a couple years before I bought my Rem 700. Now it just sits in the safe. I have taken it to a few dealers and they wont take it for a trade because they say there is some kind of liability issue they dont want to take on. They have all told me that it was done up nice. They thought that I wouldnt have any trouble selling it if I took it to a gun show. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
Ufly-Udie
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:02 pm

If they are telling you that, then it may be a low serial #'d gun that had the suspect heat treatment/brittle receiver? Might check on that. IF that is the case, it is MUCh more valuable if restored to military configuration and sold as a collector. If not, then it's value is still marginal, as it's been 'sportorized'. Were it mine, I might save up for a true custom built off of it. That, or put it back as close to original as possible and shoot NRA service matches with it. Just me. :biggrin: You likely have a very good gun, but it's going to be undervalued because 'sporterized' is a dirty word right now with regard to military/surplus bolt rifles. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby Ufly-Udie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:24 pm

I dont think it is a low serial#. Remington 1903 Serial #3181595 I bought it about 12 years ago in college and finally went deer hunting for the first time in 2000 and used it for 3 years. If my memory serves me right, the the gun shop owner said it had a Fagen stock and the guy who owned it previously shot competition with it.
Ufly-Udie
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:58 pm

From that serial#, you're okay for it to be a shooter. Turn it into what you want, it's basically a blank check from a custom rifle standpoint. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby Ufly-Udie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:36 pm

As far as trying to restore close to original, is it hard to find old springfield stocks?

If I customize it, do you know if you can find several different stocks that will fit it? Any website recommendations?

Thanks
Ufly-Udie
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:13 pm

Id shoot the 03 and ditch the 700 myself, best bolt action ever made!
muddydog
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum