Glock or Beretta

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Glock or Beretta

Postby dukkilr6 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:33 am

Hey guys I'm looking for my first semi-auto pistol. I'm considering a Beretta 92 or Glock 31, 32, or 33. I'm not sure what caliber I'm looking for. I like the 357 mag, but dont think I want to get into the 40-45 cals. Any input would be much appreciated. I'm new to pistols in general and just dont know exactly what to look for.

Thanks

Chuck
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:37 am

I'm not a fan of the way Glocks feel and shoot for me, but they are a more durable design from what I have seen than the 92 series. Beretta had a 'fix' for the brittle frame rails way back when, but we continued to shear them off in the Army after that. Of course, many now hold up VERY well for our troops, so maybe they have the alloy correct, finally. WHichever one feels best and shoots best, if you can try them out. I think if you try a Springfield XD series in 9mm/357 Sig, that you'll figure out it's the one to have. Just my .02. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby big savage » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Are you looking for something in a smaller frame so it can be your ccw?

I like my tarurs 24/7 in .40. Nice small frame that is easy to conceal. With the clip in, it's balance is also much to my liking. Shoots like a champ, and no hammer to contend with. Slide bite can be an issue if you don't practice good form though. And that .40 round gets great pennetration.

Sig's are nice.
Kimber is spendy, but REAL nice.
For a larger frame gun, it's hard to beat a 1911.
Glock makes a fine firearm, but I've never owned one. My buddies on the force say that they make damn fine service weapons though.
If it hops, it drops. If it flies, it dies.
big savage
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:05 pm

i would shy away from the beretta just because of their reputation for making lemon handguns. seems like i've heard more horror stories on those than all other makers combined. i'm not a huge glock fan either, but its just personal preference. i hear they can go through hell and back though :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ALMODUX » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:13 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:i would shy away from the beretta just because of their reputation for making lemon handguns. seems like i've heard more horror stories on those than all other makers combined. i'm not a huge glock fan either, but its just personal preference. i hear they can go through hell and back though :thumbsup:

Actually, I'm hearing more bad stuff on the Taurus 24/7 than anything else, but it seems to be mainly the .45s? Anyone can make a lemon. I have yet to hear about a Springfield XD lemon, though I'm sure there has been at least one. :biggrin:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Glocks are hideous black bricks that have the beauty remiscent of the south end of a north bound mule......but they work. they ALWAYS work. the only deciding factor is if you like the way it feels. and even then you can get the grip narrowed to fit you better. the glock is also a good option for someone new to semi-auto pistos because it is double-action only (DAO) which means that the triugger pull will be constant at all tiomes. there will nto be a had DA pull followed by consecutive SA pulls. allows for a more consistent learning curve.

i would stay away form the berettas/taurus pistols for reason already stated.

If you are looking at used guns, you can get a used SIG for a good price these days. especially if you can find a factory refurbished gun. but in the end it is just like a shotgun, get what fits your hand and shooting style/stance the best. from what i have read the springfield XD is teh most universal grip right now.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby muddydog » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:29 pm

I shoot combat matches with a Ruger P95 DC and havent had any problems. Every match though I see glocks and tricked out 1911 quit shooting!
muddydog
hunter

Postby Fowler » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:38 am

I carry a Glock on duty and they are ugly but they work. The trigger pull is the same for every round so its very easy to get used to. Our whole department carries them and it has helped a lot of guys become better shooters. I could just never get used to the Beretta trigger pull.
Fowler
hunter

Postby big drift » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:40 am

First what is your experiance level w/ handguns? Is this a CCW? What other plans do you have for it, comp shooting, plinking, home defense, etc.?

I have carried both the glock and beretta in combat and on patrol, I would look at really what your needs are first, then try em on for size, CCW may change your aspects of what you carry, also do not underestimate a revolver much more reliable and easier to operate then a auto.

In regards to caliber you need to be concerned about under and over penetration for CCW or home defense I would limit my choices to .38, 9 mm, 40 S&W, .357, .357 Sig, I will catch heck for this but I feel the .45 is to much for MOST shooters to handle and safely. The .41 or .44 are to much power and you will be concerned about pass through penetration.

For autos consider the new Stoeger made after the Beretta Cougar model around 350.00 also the S&W MP is a good choice. Rugers are good but heavy not really designed for small hands. Sigs and Brownings are also nice options, H&K just came out with a new one but I ma not familiar with it so I will pass on comment.

Let us know what you choose....
big drift
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:28 am

I gotta Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag...I like revolvers for safety, expecially single actions. A VERY experienced shooter shot himself through the chest with a semi a coupla weeks ago at a local rang while putting his pistol in his shoulder holster...killed em dead. Until you have ALOT of range time...Im recommending a single action revolver for ya brotha, expecially if ya have kids in the house. .357 and higher will stop a meth head in his tracks. The wife has a Ruger Single Six...comes with .22 Long and .22 Mag cylenders. Let us know what you decide on :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby dukkilr6 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Okay, the gun will be used for non-competative target shooting and home defense. I've fired a few handguns in .22LR, and .357 mag. but never owned one. Maybe this will help narrow down the options. I may consider conceal and carry in the future but would probably be looking for a much smaller gun for that purpose and would buy another one.

Thanks guys

Chuck
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby nuk » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:36 pm

I have a Glock 36 for concealed carry and i love it. it is a little bulky in the pocket, but after a while you dont even realize it is there. As for the home defense use of it, i keep it next to my bed, and never have to worry about it not firing if the time ever came that i would actually need to use it. If you truly want a home defense gun then i would go with a shotgun, becasuse when someone hears that thing cock they are out. but that is just my two cents.
nuk
hunter

Postby muddydog » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Im a big fan of the ruger single action as well , for what you want to do its definately the safer choice. There really is no need for a semi in home defense or informal plinking.
muddydog
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:29 pm

muddydog wrote:... There really is no need for a semi in home defense or informal plinking.

Until you start trading shots and the other fella is better armed. I'd rather be a live 'modernist' than a dead cowboy. :lol:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby muddydog » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:51 pm

If you need more than 1 shot to get the job done, your in big trouble partner! :lol: As for me Im gonna get um with a 12 ga. pump!
muddydog
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:39 am

i have 10,000 + rounds thru my glock 23. I hate the Idea that I own a glock but it was never failed me yet. I couldnt tell you the last time it jamed.
kcduckslayer
hunter

glock!!!

Postby JSODEP5338 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:09 am

In my opinion, there is no comparison between the 2. Glocks are basically indestructible. If you want one for home defense and target practice go with the full size glock 31 you have 15 rounds of .357 sig which is an awesome round basically your pushing a 9mm bullet out of a 10 mm casing. throw on a set of tritium night sights for an extra 85 to 95 bucks and you're in business. :thumbsup:
I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!
JSODEP5338
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:08 am

muddydog wrote:If you need more than 1 shot to get the job done, your in big trouble partner! :lol: As for me Im gonna get um with a 12 ga. pump!

Well, the fact is that you're gonna need more than one shot....regardless of if it's a shotgun, handgun, OR rifle. You might be fortunate and have an encounter that the first shot pretty much resolves, but insurance should already be on the way by the time resolution is registering. Like you seem to be, I am a big fan of a shotgun in the house. I think we all get overly technical about CCW handguns. MUCH more important is to go practice, get some instruction, and/or join at least an informal IDPA group for some scenario practice, etc.....an old cap and ball in competant hands beats the fanciest stuff in the world in the hands of someone who is fumble fingers due to lack of practice. :lol:

Take our opinions with a grain of salt, as personal handgun choice is just that, and is something best resolved over trying many types and models. :smile:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby nuk » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:51 am

I agree with Almodux, the best thing that you can do to prepare yourself is just practice. And as for the one shot thing, when i was taking my CHL class they told us taht something like 78% of trained police officers miss there first shot, and they shoot a lot more than the average joe.
nuk
hunter

Re: glock!!!

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:41 pm

JSODEP5338 wrote:throw on a set of tritium night sights for an extra 85 to 95 bucks and you're in business. :thumbsup:

IMO - I wouldn't want to be the one "glowing in the dark" when I am in a shoot out with someone.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby JSODEP5338 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:25 am

I think the muzzle flash may give away your position a little bit more than 3 dots. Its all about sight aquisition especially under high stress situations. And unless you are looking right down the barrel at them you cannot see them glowing anyhow unless of course they are directly behind you in which case it doesnt matter what gun you have because youre already dead.
JSODEP5338
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:34 am

JSODEP5338 wrote:I think the muzzle flash may give away your position a little bit more than 3 dots. Its all about sight aquisition especially under high stress situations. And unless you are looking right down the barrel at them you cannot see them glowing anyhow unless of course they are directly behind you in which case it doesnt matter what gun you have because youre already dead.

Must have changed them since that last time I was out in the dark. It was a couple years ago.

And I was also talking about before the muzzle blast. Walking into a room or down a hallway or alley just watch for the glowing.

Standing on the range at 10:30 PM with 20 guys. You can see who the rookies were because they were the only ones you could see.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby JSODEP5338 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:10 pm

:hijacked: I am not sure which night sites you refer to but from my personal experience with Trijicon night sites on both my duty weapon as well as my personal handguns none of them transmit enough radiant light to be seen from a distance of more than 5 feet and thats if I am directly behind the sights. If the sights are pointed in my general direction at all they are completely undetected. I will have night sites installed on every carry gun I ever own. As a side note my wife who is not an avid shooter refuses to have a handgun in our bedroom unless it is equipped with night sites.
JSODEP5338
hunter

Re: Glock or Beretta

Postby Smilin' Mallard » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:34 pm

dukkilr6 wrote:Hey guys I'm looking for my first semi-auto pistol. I'm considering a Beretta 92 or Glock 31, 32, or 33. I'm not sure what caliber I'm looking for. I like the 357 mag, but dont think I want to get into the 40-45 cals. Any input would be much appreciated. I'm new to pistols in general and just dont know exactly what to look for.

Thanks

Chuck

The obvious answer is RUGER! :lol:
Smilin' Mallard
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:44 am

Along the lines of what others have said, it is a personal handgun. What feels great in my hand may feel terrible in yours. Go to a well stocked gun shop, and let him know you are trying to get a feel for "your" gun. Most guys are pretty willing to help, especially if they think they can get a sale.

Also, if you are looking for a semi in 357, it will have to be 357 SIG. It's a good round, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I wanted a 357.

Of course, if I had to throw in my .02, I would say look very closely at Sig. There are others I like like HK and Springfield in a non-1911 gun, but Sig is my favorite and uber reliable...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum