Safe Lever Action

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Safe Lever Action

Postby quack-quack » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm looking for a good 30-30 lever that I can accurately use for deer but also have the quickness for hogs.
My concern is about the safety of a 30-30 and wanted to know if there was anything I should look for or if it's all just about safe handling.
I know their known for accidental fires and if there is a brand or something to look for is prefer to prevent it!
quack-quack
hunter

Re: Safe Lever Action

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:30 am

With the cocking hammer it does not get much safer........................
and but just a split second to chamber a round if you want real safe.

You will be using the 170 grain pill, right?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Well I don't have a 30/30 lever but I've got 3 Marlins and I really love them! A 41 mg, 444 and a 45/70. I think they're real safe with the push button safety and the hammer off cocked (the modern ones). My only Winchester is a 22, and its a nice gun. I do like the side eject on the Marlins better. We mostly hunt with bolt actions out west because of distance issues, but I'm a real lever fan. I think they're as safe as a bolt, maybe more so.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:26 am

Marlin has a manual safety and also allows you to half cock the hammer, so as it is not resting in the vicinity of the firing pin.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/ ... e/336c.asp
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:07 pm

What's the difference between all the marlins? I see the 366w, 366y, etc.
Is it just looks or what?
quack-quack
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:51 am

There has never been an issue with the safety of the 94 Winchester or the Marlin 336. The hammer has a half cock position and can not be discharge from that position. The only way to discharge them is to cock it all the way back and pull the trigger. it will not discharge unless you pull the trigger. With these rifles there has never been an accidental discharge, just negligent ones. Poor handling and judgement. This has lead to the push button safety on the newer 94 Win whish is stupid at best as it effects the purpose (fast handling) of the rifle and adds nothing to it's operation.

There are other lever guns in the market including used Savage 99's and the BLR. These rifles are offered in a wider range of calibers.
Freezer
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:43 am

I am getting one, I just want to make sure I'm good. Thank you all already for the information so far. I did hear about possible misfires from bullets in the magazine or when being fed into the chamber? Is that true or myth?
quack-quack
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Urban Myth with a tinge of truth. Use round nose or flat poin bullets and that doesn't happen. Leverlution is a soft nose polymer bullet developed by Hornaday for use in tubular magizine guns. It gives better ballistics and range.

The tubular mag discharge happens when "Bubba" wants to use pointed bullets in his gun. When the gun is fired the pointed bullets acted like a firing pin on the primer it's seated against. Every round in the mag will discharge with a spectacular display. A long time ago there were bolt action rifles chambered in 30-30 Win and you could get a pointed bullet for them. I haven't seen factory 30-30 win with pointed bullets in many years. Too much liability involved when an uninformed person uses them in the wrong gun. You can hand load pointed bullets (308 dia) in a 30-30 win case. I do this for my TC Contender just keep them away from your tubular mag lever guns.
Last edited by Freezer on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freezer
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Nothing wrong with the first (1st) bullet in the chamber being one with a lead/copper spritzer point and a boat tail ..........for top accuracy and velocity, out of the rifle. I have done that lots of times for one shot kills in the field.

Never put them in a loading tube, though..............
One reason for the "Factory Style" ammo for tube feeding guns...... or the approved Hornady soft "Poly" tip.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby maestromatt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:39 pm

I've got a 30-30 level action (Marlin's "winchester" version) and it'll definitely shoot fast enough for you to use effectively. I only use it for deer, but I've had some fun times at the range getting off about 5 shoots in just a few seconds. Also, the magazine capacity is 8+1, so you'll definitely have plenty of bullets if you need them.

On the note of safety, my 30-30 has handled everything that nature has thrown at it without misfires. The Marlin has two safeties, both of which are pretty reliable when all else fails.

It's also pretty inexpensive as well, I got mine for just around 300-400$ and it's pretty durable like I said before.

The only problem I ever had with mine was when it kept jamming up after the 3rd or 4th shot (which was in extreme cold), but I just sent it in and got in back speedily with no further problems.

Good luck to you on your gun hunting. And good luck on your hunts themselves
maestromatt
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 pm

The newer Marlins and Winchesters have the button safety and it's stupid. I was put there because folks didn't handle their guns safely and unless it's enguaged it does nothing. The half cock is all that is needed. If you place the rifle in the half cock position then enguage the button safety that's two setps you must perform before shooting. That defeats the purpose of the rifle. this was caused by half brained nit whits who didn't take the time to know their rifle and seued the maker of the gun.

Carrying a pointed bullet with a lever gun is never a good idea! One mistake or laps of attention and you in trouble. Even the leverlution bullets gain you mabe 50 yards! It's not a bean field gun. Without peep sights or a scope most folks have no bussiness shooting over 100 yards with a rifle in 30-30 and most other cartridges for that matter.

BTW, never rely on the safety! Handle you weapon correctly. There are no firearms accidental discharges, only negligent discharges.
Freezer
hunter

Safe Lever Action

Postby quack-quack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:57 pm

So what ammo do y'all use for deer / hogs?

I've always used Remington CoreLokt on my 30-06 but not sure about 30-30's
quack-quack
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 pm

I hand load and use 150 gr Rem corelocks in my 94 Win. I wouldn't go lighter and for factory ammo would prefer 165 gr. corelock ammo. It's accurate, inexpensive to pratice with and has very dependable performance. I bought my 94 in 1972 and that was my ammo of choice. It's always given me 1.5" @ 100 yards. I've never tried any thing farther with it. My son's 336 Marlin does the same and since it's not scoped either we haven't tried it at 200 yards. These are fun to shoot easy to carry brush guns and we like them for that niche. My go to gun now is a Savage 99f in 308 Win with a 2x7 Leupold. My eyes aren't what they used to be and graduated bifocals make seeing three things at once hard. I use 165 gr Sierra Game Kings over Varget powder and have no problem reaching 400 yards with a 6.5 pound rifle. I had a Browning Lever action in 7-08 which was a great gun but the saddle stock didn't work well with a scope. It's advantage was a detachable mag. Both can use pointed bullets since neither is a tubular mag.

FWIW 165 gr is the optimum for 30 cal. You can use heavier but for deer and pig you don't need it. Have you experimented with the 06? There are some great factory loads out there.
Freezer
hunter

Postby maestromatt » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:33 am

Freezer wrote:The newer Marlins and Winchesters have the button safety and it's stupid. I was put there because folks didn't handle their guns safely and unless it's enguaged it does nothing. The half cock is all that is needed. If you place the rifle in the half cock position then enguage the button safety that's two setps you must perform before shooting. That defeats the purpose of the rifle. this was caused by half brained nit whits who didn't take the time to know their rifle and seued the maker of the gun.

BTW, never rely on the safety! Handle you weapon correctly. There are no firearms accidental discharges, only negligent discharges.

To be quite honest, I usually only keep one safety on (the half cock hammer) when I'm sitting in the stand, because I know that I can handle a firearm. I really don't understand what's so complicated for people.

And I can't remember what exact ammo I use, but I think it might be Remington 30-30 hollowpoint for deer...I'm not sure, I'll check at get back to you on that one
maestromatt
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:27 am

Freezer wrote:I hand load and use 150 gr Rem corelocks in my 94 Win. I wouldn't go lighter and for factory ammo would prefer 165 gr. corelock ammo. It's accurate, inexpensive to pratice with and has very dependable performance. I bought my 94 in 1972 and that was my ammo of choice. It's always given me 1.5" @ 100 yards. I've never tried any thing farther with it. My son's 336 Marlin does the same and since it's not scoped either we haven't tried it at 200 yards. These are fun to shoot easy to carry brush guns and we like them for that niche. My go to gun now is a Savage 99f in 308 Win with a 2x7 Leupold. My eyes aren't what they used to be and graduated bifocals make seeing three things at once hard. I use 165 gr Sierra Game Kings over Varget powder and have no problem reaching 400 yards with a 6.5 pound rifle. I had a Browning Lever action in 7-08 which was a great gun but the saddle stock didn't work well with a scope. It's advantage was a detachable mag. Both can use pointed bullets since neither is a tubular mag.

FWIW 165 gr is the optimum for 30 cal. You can use heavier but for deer and pig you don't need it. Have you experimented with the 06? There are some great factory loads out there.

That round (30-30)is not a great choice for ranges past 150 yards (which is a fairly long shot). At 100 yards it is relatively flat and not an issue. At 200 yards the bullet drop is around 7". At 400 yards it drops roughly 5 feet...

It is a brush gun with an optimum range of 100 yards. If you are shooting past that, buy a different caliber...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 am

Quack- If you are a handloader, you can improve upon the already great performance of the .30-30. We loaded 150 gr. Barnes FP for my son and he's taken 6 bucks with that load in a pre 64 model 1894 carbine. All with broken shoulders from about 30-75 yards. Just plain excellent performance and pretty accurate as well. Levers are great functional rifles and nice to carry. The Browning BLR is a good, and safe, option as well. Usually though, if a guy is looking at a 30-30 they already know that their shots are not going to be extended. Have fun. Mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum