Marlin Firearms

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Marlin Firearms

Postby War Wagon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:25 am

I ordered a Marlin Model 1897 45/70 Lever action rifle for a customer. Few days later the rifle was here. He came in and did the 4473 paper work for the Fed's and everything was a go. I went and got the rifle and I let him open it up. You could see it was just like Christmas for him. He took it out of the box and it was a really sharp gun. Then as every body should do check to see if the gun was loaded he grabbed the lever and pushed it forward. He said ...there seems to be something wrong...it's not smooth. I took the rifle and looked inside the action. DAM... there still was tooling chips inside. Now I took the rifle to the back and had to remove all the chips out of the action. oiled it up and made sure bbl was free from chips. He was happy man when I got it out to him but he asked me .." How can this happen" ..I told him IDK.
This is a gun Made in the USA. what kind of quality are the putting out there ? :huh: :huh:
War Wagon
hunter

Re: Marlin Firearms

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:01 pm

War Wagon wrote:I ordered a Marlin Model 1897 45/70 Lever action rifle for a customer. Few days later the rifle was here. He came in and did the 4473 paper work for the Fed's and everything was a go. I went and got the rifle and I let him open it up. You could see it was just like Christmas for him. He took it out of the box and it was a really sharp gun. Then as every body should do check to see if the gun was loaded he grabbed the lever and pushed it forward. He said ...there seems to be something wrong...it's not smooth. I took the rifle and looked inside the action. DAM... there still was tooling chips inside. Now I took the rifle to the back and had to remove all the chips out of the action. oiled it up and made sure bbl was free from chips. He was happy man when I got it out to him but he asked me .." How can this happen" ..I told him IDK.
This is a gun Made in the USA. what kind of quality are the putting out there ? :huh: :huh:

War Wagon, Im sure Marlin like every other manufacturer has cut back on Quality Assurance Inspections, its the down fall of American Quality as far as Im concerned. I worked for 40 years at the largest Private Jet manufacture in the world, 33 of it in the experimental Quality Assurance Dept. They kept down grading the inspection points until, I personally felt there wasn't any integrity left any more and I retired.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby thomashamm2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:59 am

Marlin was bought by i think remington. And they laid off all the marlin workers so now they have remington workers working on marlin guns. So bolt action people working on lever guns. My buddy had a 336 in 30-30 and for two years the gun would shoot and then get jammed. Eventually he figured out that it was not operator error and sent in back. Now his 336 is good to go. But for anyone wondering that is the problem. The remington people dont care as much about the quality of marlin lever guns.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Just transferred a Marlin 44-40 Cowboy. This time I looked at the gun before the guy bought it. No chips in the action, they sent me a good one.... :yes:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:06 am

For every penny a manufacturer spends on a piece they have to charge six cents more. In order to compete the quality control suffers as does attention to detail. I suggest to anyone who buys a firearm new or used, clean it and inspect it well. Better yet give it to a gunsmith before you fondle it. As there were chips in the barrel I'd bet the rifle would be more acurate after the barel was polished. New guns are never cleaned or adjusted well and used one with a history usually need a good cleaning and re-lube. In addition "Bubba" thinks there's nothing to installing a scope and can't tell you what a torque wrench is.
Freezer
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum