Opinions?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Opinions?

Postby thomashamm2 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Well i dont have a dedicated deer rifle because im not starting deer hunting till this fall. I could buy a new gun for 500 with scope and use that for deer but i do have a rem 700 308 with a harris bipod and leupold 14x scope. It has a heavy barrel and a stock that is thick or whatnot. it weighs i believe around 11 pounds all together. Long story short it is a sniper. i know that the 308 is a good deer round but do u think i should just buy a dedicated deer gun or just use what i have until i feel the need of something different? i think im just going with the sniper but i just wanted to hear some opinions. thanks.
Last edited by thomashamm2 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
thomashamm2
hunter

Re: Opinions?

Postby Gj325 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:56 pm

308 is a great round if you can stand toting heavy gun you have a tack driver no recoil super accurate

Unless you want to spend 500 to have a inferior rifle I would shoot the gun you have
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:42 pm

If you're stand hunting that rifle will be fine
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:46 pm

like he^ said as long as you're not spot and stalking/ having to carry it long distances you'll be fine.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:53 am

Ditto and Ditto- if you are stand hunting where you don't have to tote it over hill and dale you will be fine with your existing setup. Even if you do walk or spot & stalk the gun will work but will just require a bit more effort to carry all day than if it was an 8# version. And, as has been mentioned the .308 is an excellent deer round with many options of excellent bullets to shoot. I've used one for many years with great results and my current deer rifle is a .308.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:11 pm

apexhunter wrote:Ditto and Ditto- if you are stand hunting where you don't have to tote it over hill and dale you will be fine with your existing setup. Even if you do walk or spot & stalk the gun will work but will just require a bit more effort to carry all day than if it was an 8# version. And, as has been mentioned the .308 is an excellent deer round with many options of excellent bullets to shoot. I've used one for many years with great results and my current deer rifle is a .308.

I agree with the other guys, the 308 is a great round for deer. The gun you have is heavy and unless you're an old guy like me weight shouldn't matter unless youre walking a couple of miles of so. Id use it and save for a lighter gun and scope if it was me. I shoot a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270 caliber and have a 4x12 Leupold sitting on it. After all a guy can never have to many guns
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:15 pm

I don't like being weighed down by a heavy rifle. My first coyote rifle was a heavy barreled rig with a big scope. I killed a few with it but I hated hunting with that gun. Weight aside, the fixed 14x scope on your rifle would be way to much magnification for me. Anymore I like a light to standard weight rig with a regular ol' 3-9x or 4-14x. No lenses bigger than 40mm and no adjustable objectives or side focus knobs either.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum