S&W MP.22 Owners

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

S&W MP.22 Owners

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:56 pm

Any reviews? After really liking it, I learned today that it's banned in NY due to a threaded barrel.....
I can't win...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5343
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side


Re: S&W MP.22 Owners

Postby blackrock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:59 pm

We've got two of them. We really like them, in some ways better than the old 10-22. They are accurate and seem to be a little less prone to jams, easy to clean. I'm pretty sure they make a model without threaded barrel for you lucky guys that live in some of our finer states.......
blackrock
hunter
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: S&W MP.22 Owners

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:09 pm

blackrock wrote:We've got two of them. We really like them, in some ways better than the old 10-22. They are accurate and seem to be a little less prone to jams, easy to clean. I'm pretty sure they make a model without threaded barrel for you lucky guys that live in some of our finer states.......

I heard today that they retro fitted something that covers the threads or something, but even that fix isn't good enough.
Is the very tip of your barrel extended PAST the slide and is it threaded on the OUTSIDE of the barrel? If so, then the one I saw today must me ok...because the very edge of the barrel is completely flush with the end of the gun....nowhere to screw anything.....
still BS...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5343
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: S&W MP.22 Owners

Postby Jonny4523 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:45 am

Slack Tide wrote:I heard today that they retro fitted something that covers the threads or something, but even that fix isn't good enough. Is the very tip of your barrel extended PAST the slide and is it threaded on the OUTSIDE of the barrel? If so, then the one I saw today must me ok...because the very edge of the barrel is completely flush with the end of the gun....nowhere to screw anything.....
still BS...


As far as I know, all M&P22 pistols come from the factory threaded. The end of the barrel is flush with the end of the slide. In order to use a suppressor, you would need an adapter to get it to extend beyond the slide (http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Walthe ... er-p21.htm). The 'cover' that you're referring to is a thread protector that is installed for the simple reason of protecting the threads when an adapter is not installed.

I love this pistol. We have several. I teach a basic pistol class. We have several M&P pistols for the students to use when they're ready. But before we have them shooting centerfire, we use these M&P22s as great rimfire training so that they can focus on practicing the basic without worrying about mitigating recoil and anticipating recoil (flinching). I think these pistols because they share the same frame as their bigger siblings. So when they transition from rimfire to centerfire, their grip, button placement, sight alignment, all directly transfers to the full size M&P.

I'm sorry you're denied your right to have one in NY. Since you can't have this, I assume you're denied the right to have a suppressor as well? That's too bad.
User avatar
Jonny4523
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: Lafayette, IN

Re: S&W MP.22 Owners

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Jonny4523 wrote: Since you can't have this, I assume you're denied the right to have a suppressor as well? That's too bad.


That's funny....
The "California Compliant" model has the thread cover tack welded in place permanently....that's the debate here..and it's not a debate...it's just not legal..
I went for the Ruger SR22......but I really did like the MP for all the reasons you stated.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5343
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side


Return to Rifle and Handgun forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests