Restoring old gun

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Restoring old gun

Postby quack-quack » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:01 pm

I've had this Winchester 60-22 for a while, it was passed down by my grandfather. I never used it but now just realized that the slide is missing for the sights. I've attached a pic and wanted to know if anyone knew where to get a replacement?
Thank youImageImage
quack-quack
hunter

Re: Restoring old gun

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:24 pm

I doubt you will be able to find a site for that gun, however the easier course may be to find another gun and use it for a parts gun. There is one currently on gunbroker.com for around a 100 bucks. When it comes to restoring a gun that's been in the family like yours a hundred bucks isn't to much to spend from my view point
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Restoring old gun

Postby quack-quack » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out. I think the part I need is an "elevator". I read somewhere that the elevator in the 60 is the same as the 67, but I can't find that website now. I can't find anything for the model 60!

I also want to work on the barrel, as you can see he did something to it and it's peeling all over and looks bad. Any thoughts ?
quack-quack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:34 pm

quack-quack wrote:Thanks, I'll check it out. I think the part I need is an "elevator". I read somewhere that the elevator in the 60 is the same as the 67, but I can't find that website now. I can't find anything for the model 60!

I also want to work on the barrel, as you can see he did something to it and it's peeling all over and looks bad. Any thoughts ?

It all depends on how much you wish to spend, if the sentimental value is high to you then the options are unlimited, starting with reblueing the barrel and receiver, the wood is the easy part. Id buy a good stripper and remove the finish, then if there are dings you wish to remove its a time consuming project but dings can be removed from the wood by using a soldering iron and wet cloth. Its a steam process where you raise the grain where the dings is and then sand it back down. Ive removed some pretty deep dings using this method but as I said it takes time and patience. Then when you get the wood to the point of putting on a finish, Id put on several thin coats of tru oil with a light sanding with steel wool in between each coat. I refinished a Marlin 39A last year was pretty beat up, but after removing the dings and putting on 22 coats of hand rubbed tru oil its now gorgeous.

BTW I believe the Model 60 was made from 1930 to 1934
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Gas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:27 am

Try Numerich gun parts. I found an elevator for a 62a there last year. And actually I found the elevator on ebay. Numerich happened to be the seller.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Restoring old gun

Postby quack-quack » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:34 am

Sweet, thanks

I'll get some pictures of the wood and barrel tomorrow so y'all can see what kinda job I'm in for with that
quack-quack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:54 pm

quack-quack wrote:Sweet, thanks

I'll get some pictures of the wood and barrel tomorrow so y'all can see what kinda job I'm in for with that

Please do
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby quack-quack » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Here are some pictures to show the condition all around. As it was my first gun, and passed down from my grandpa, I want to pass down to my son one day, so I want to clean it up a little. I don't want to go overboard, just a little touch up.
I checked out some places and found that basic clean up and rebluing of the barrel is $100.. does that sound right?
I am nervous about the wood, my grandpa did all the carving by hand and I don't want to mess it up or have a difference in color between the wood at all. I don't need to get all the sings out if it, I actually want them to show the history of the gun. But I would like to get a sanding and see if I can bring some consistent natural color and texture to it all. I don't want to mess it up so if I decided to go to a person, what would I be looking at cost ?
I don't want to build a new gun here, just bring out more of the natural look to it.
Lastly, what can I do about a butt pad for it?

Thanks for looking!

ImageImageImageImageImage
quack-quack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:01 pm

The wood doesn't look to be really bad and it also appears to have been refinished at some stage. Id get a finish stripper and take the wood to bare, sand the gun but don't sand the checkering, leaving the dings is fine if you want that remembrance. Buy a wood filler that fills the pores, a dark walnut stain and a bottle of tru oil. Follow the instruction on each bottle. The trick with the tru oil is to put on this layers and rub the layers in with your fingers, Id get a piece of wood at Lowes or Menards and practice putting the finishes on before finishing the gun, that way you will learn the correct method for layering the tru oil. Between layers of the oil, lightly rub the wood down with 0000 steel wool and then before putting on more of the oil, clean the would by using a tack cloth to get dust particles. As I said the last gun I did I had 22 coats and its gorgeous, it did tale about 3 weeks to get the coats on, a coat a day. DONT get in a hurry to get the project done, you will have a much better finished product

Why would you want a butt pad on a .22 or are you talking butt plate? As for the price on the bluing, Id say that's about right and Id sure spend that hundred, you wont regret it later.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby quack-quack » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:25 pm

22 coats!! Wow!! How will I know how many I need?
And yea I meant a butt plate.
quack-quack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:27 pm

quack-quack wrote:22 coats!! Wow!! How will I know how many I need?
And yea I meant a butt plate.

The number of coats is totally up to you, I did the 22 coats on purpose. I have guys ask me how many coats I have put on my refinished guns and can never remember, so since the gun was a .22 I just figured 22 would be a good number to remember. Put the coats on until you get a depth that you like. Remember they are super thin so its not like 10 coats is going to be a big blob on the wood, Id say on the average I put about 12 coats on and it takes about 2 weeks to get there, allowing a days drying time for each coat. As for the butt plate, if you can buy a gun off of gunbroker for a decent price youd have all the parts you need. If you could get one for around a hundred and fifty bucks Id jump on it, Don't get in a hurry for the parts, its kind of like restoring a car with hard to find parts, they are out there you just have to be diligent in searching for them

Figuring 125 for the bluing job, 150 for a parts gun, and maybe 35 for material, youd have about 305 in a nice family heirloom which in these old eyes is worth every penny in sentimental value
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Restoring old gun

Postby quack-quack » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:43 am

Ok good info. I'll look into different stains.

What do I need to do to take off the peeling paint from the barrel and not ruin the barrel so I can get it blued later? I'm assuming it's a paint of some sort but not sure. Is sandpaper bad? Or do they do it all when I take it in ?
quack-quack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:32 pm

quack-quack wrote:Ok good info. I'll look into different stains.

What do I need to do to take off the peeling paint from the barrel and not ruin the barrel so I can get it blued later? I'm assuming it's a paint of some sort but not sure. Is sandpaper bad? Or do they do it all when I take it in ?

I would take it to the company doing the reblue to see if that was included in the total job and if its not get their recommendation
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:27 am

With a little reading you can learn how to redo that stock to make it look like new.......
A blue job to that metal will make it look like a new rifle if you can spend the money to a quality outfit.

That part to the sight should be out there.........and you will be good to go.

That is a shooter and a great rifle.........take care of it and it will last another 200 years.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Freezer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:19 am

I wouldn't touch that rifle. The dings and scratches got there honestly. That was grandpa's gun. Leave his history on it and add your own. It's a shooter/keep sake not a high value treasure. Numrich is a good start and there are other "Obsolete gun parts" sites out there. Repair it, clean in shoot it then pass it on.

BTW a lot of old guns will benifit from a good cleaning. Oil and grease get old and dry out. This will cause the action and trigger to get stiff and sluggish. A complete tear down and cleaning could really make the ol girl sweet! Old springs can get weak, Wolff Spings can breath new life into an old action.
Freezer
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:13 am

"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:38 pm

Freezer wrote:I wouldn't touch that rifle. The dings and scratches got there honestly. That was grandpa's gun. Leave his history on it and add your own. It's a shooter/keep sake not a high value treasure. Numrich is a good start and there are other "Obsolete gun parts" sites out there. Repair it, clean in shoot it then pass it on.

X2.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:40 am

X3 I'd maybe do a light cleaning and run an oily rag over it all, wood included, and
call it good. When I was a "kid" I was into "shiny" and restored the wood on Dads sportsman 58. It turned out nice, but now I wish I hadn't done it. Wish I had left it alone. Aside from eroding/erasing the evidence of it being a mile weary bird gun from days long since gone by, it hurt the resale value (if that would be a goal with a different gun sometime).
Funny, I talked to him about it not long ago, and told him I f'up when I did that. He smirked and said don't sweat it, that he had learned the same lesson after refinishing Papaws 16 ga Model 12 when he was a youngster. "You'll have that" LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talltimber
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:44 pm

My eldest prefers Simple Green for cleaning. A light dusting with 0000 steel wool. a few coats of Tru Oil and you'll be happy with the ol girl.
Freezer
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum