fixing to turn 21...advice on good .45 calibers

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

fixing to turn 21...advice on good .45 calibers

Postby hurricane658 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:43 am

Well, like the subject line says, I'll be 21 in March! I cannot wait! I am taking my CHL class and was wondering what y'alls opinion on a good .45 caliber handgun was. I would like a 9mm too, but I want to see what y'all think! Lemme know! Thanks!
JAZZ
hurricane658
hunter

Postby viper3173 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am

I would personally go with a 40 over the 45 or 9. it is a great all around cal. And i am partial to the glock, lightweight and never fails on you. If you are partial to the 45 then go for it!!
viper3173
hunter

Postby matt gorman20387 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:49 am

I would go for the glock 40 as well the ammo cost the same as the 45. If your hell bent on the 45 I would go to a range and rent one before you buy. DFW gun range off of mockingbird lane(Dallas),and is a good place to go. You can rent and shoot just about any thing there. You can try the 40, 45, and 9 right next to each other and see witch fits you best.
matt gorman20387
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:26 am

Springfield XD-45!!! Most comfortable pistol i have shot in a long time. Or if plastic DAO pistols arent yoru style, a good 1911 variation is always a good choice. Taurus has a 1911 variant that seems VERY nice for the money.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:11 am

I have shot quite a few 45's as I owned a gun shop some years ago.
Of all the 45's that I had access to I chose to carry the SIG-Sauer P220, accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

Try out all the pistols you can before purchasing, you will find that some will not feel comfortable in your hand.
I have small hands and some guns like the Glock is just too big in the grip for me.

Good luck and let us know what you picked :thumbsup:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:28 pm

fowl_wishes wrote:Springfield XD-45!!! Most comfortable pistol i have shot in a long time. Or if plastic DAO pistols arent yoru style, a good 1911 variation is always a good choice. Taurus has a 1911 variant that seems VERY nice for the money.

Go with the XD 45, i have one and love it, if not get the S&W M&P 45
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby blindretrieve » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:48 pm

go with a colt if you are looking for 45
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby WillHuntForFood » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Springfield XD's and there Govt. Mod, Sig's, and Glocks, in not order. I own a Glock .40 cal and a Springfield XD 9 mm. I care the 40 cal more than I do the 9 mm. The 9 mm is a sub compact and was bought as a gun for the house do to its smaller size the ole lady has no problem using it if she has to. I have shot allot of 45's and they are a great gun I just like having the extra ammo in the clips with the 40 cal. More ammo means more options in a shoot out situation.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Be careful going off someone elses choice until you handle them all. I shoot HK's and I choose a 45acp also. The ACP is a proven stopper and Not just people but cars too :yes:

I shoot IDPA and there are a lot of 45's 40's and 9mm out there and they are all fine but I have seen coyotes shot with a 9mm and they keep on going but I also witnessed a wounded black bear stopped with a 9mm FMJ shot to the spine after we found him in the dark (scarry situation).

I can not shoot a Glock good at all (had a 10mm and 45acp). I have to adjust for sight picture with a Glock but with the xd and HK the sight alignment is perfect everytime I pull them up. I want to try one of the new Glock SF versions to see if they pull up better than the standard model does for me. you will have to fondle and pull a few up and when you find the right one you will know it. :thumbsup: I had 2 XD's that were great but I just like the HK's better so I sold the XD's and bought more HK's

That said, the most accurate pistol I have ever owned is a Browning HP 9mm that will cut the bull out of a target at 25yds. but I dont care for single action on my carry gun so I shoot IDPA with the HK and carry the same.

Also do not rule our Ruger, they make some nice pistols and they are priced right. My P85 was used in the bear incident listed above.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby msmall » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:39 pm

I would recommend the H&K also. I own 3 USP's in .45, .40, & 9MM and they are extremely reliable and accurate. I personally would recommend the 40 cal. with 185 GR HP's...... good punch with tolerable recoil...
msmall
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:23 pm

i would head the .40 route as well
just more fun to shoot.
pick up a xd and if feels good then i would take that road... very nice guns
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mydogearl » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:15 am

i dont mean to hijack this thread but i'm in the same boat as hurricane and i think this could help him also.
i just felt a kahr cw40 tonight and really liked basically everything about it (they also make a cw9), i also really like the feel of the springfield xd's. these two are at the top of my list right now. i know glocks are great but hate the feel of them but i havent felt the g36 yet so i guess it would be an option if i like how it feels. some other notable guns that i like the feel of and that hurricane may want to consider are the S&W sw99, ruger's new sr9(its a little bigger), taurus (i think it is the model called 24/7) and they also make a nice, very, very light 38 spl revolver called the ultra-lite titanium if you consider somehting that small. these are all of the guns that have been stirring my brain and probably yours now. also, if anyone owns or has any knowledge of the kahr cw40, please share because i really love the feel of this gun. thanks and i hope this helps you hurricane
mydogearl
hunter

Postby Shredder » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:06 am

Quack Wacker NC wrote:Go with the XD 45, i have one and love it, if not get the S&W M&P 45

2nd get it youll love it. the xd do not get the m&p
BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.....%&^$&$ I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE SHELLS!!!
Primary: Super Black Eagle II
Back-up: Mossberg 835
Estate Shells
Shredder
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:45 am

Get a Glock or a Sig. Theres a reason all the police, feds and Tactical groups use them. Get a pistol you can afford to shoot alot and get good with! A head shot from a 9mm is more effective then a big boom from a 45acp. Get some good quality training, shooting beer cans gansta style isnt it. I would get a glock 9mm, save money for lots of ammo and upgrade later. Dont get me wrong, I carried a 45 for yrs, the only thing better is a 10mm.
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:49 am

TopGunMich wrote:Get a Glock or a Sig. Theres a reason all the police, feds and Tactical groups use them. Get a pistol you can afford to shoot alot and get good with! A head shot from a 9mm is more effective then a big boom from a 45acp. Get some good quality training, shooting beer cans gansta style isnt it. I would get a glock 9mm, save money for lots of ammo and upgrade later. Dont get me wrong, I carried a 45 for yrs, the only thing better is a 10mm.

Head shots are nice to talk about, but not too practical. And the main reason most places are using glocks, sigs, or any othe rpistols is because they got a good contract price on the guns in bulk.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby msmall » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:32 am

I really dont like Glock pistols, the only safety is located on the trigger!!! H&K pistols are used by the military, police, and civilian. I've owned most makes of pistols, but the H&K just always seemed to be a better built pistol with all the features I wanted in a conceal carry gun.
The .40 cal is a good "man stopper" round, especially if you can reload or have someone reload rounds for you. The 40 cal can be cranked up to almost 10 MM performance and still be a tolerable to shoot all day.
If you think that you will be doing all head shots why not really save some money and buy a .22, just remeber to save the last round for yourself (sarcasm)........ :no: :no: If someone is out to kill you the last thing you will be doing is taking time to place a well placed shot, you're going to be pointing "center mass". Your adreneline will be pumping, your hands will be shaking, and the only thing you will be concerned with is putting that threat down.
msmall
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:29 am

If you reload for a carry pistol you are opening yourself up to all sorts of problems (lawsuits) if you have to use it. The lawyers and NRA classes recommend AGINST reloaded ammo in a defensive situation. aparently they can use it in court to say you specifically loaded the ammo to kill someone.

Also Glock 40's are the most known for the KB (kaboom) where the chamber explodes, I have seen 2 personally and if you check glock talk there are too many to count. HK's have been Tested way above and beyond most. In one account they tried to cause a failure by lodging a bullet in the barrel and then fireing another round. they could not make it fail. It would just shove the lodged bullet out the barrel (the test I seen was with a 45acp). I tried to machine the "O" ring groove in one of mine like the tactical uses. the barrels are so hard that the machinest told me it would require special tooling..

due to the cost not many police departments will arm their officers with HK's but the special Military groups do. Also the glocks are a much simpler handgun to operate and much cheaper than a sig or HK.

I like a safety on a carry gun. again on glock talk you will find many AD's (accidental discharge) even from police with Glocks.

I had a Kahr and they are fantastic guns, Fit and finish is terrific and they are accurate for a carry gun.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TopGunMich » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:56 am

To the couch commando above:

HA HA HA, GLOCKS DONT HAVE SAFETIES AND THATS A BAD THING!

I'm sure the guy at Gander MTN, making minium wage told you that. He's a good source for tactical combat advice. Ha!

They were designed that way because so many people died with safeties on thier SW5906,4506 & berreta's and Browning HI PWR's.

FIND A COP OR TAC OPR WITH A SAFETY ENGAGED ON HIS CARRY WEAPON??? Then he's a REMF!

HEADSHOT: My ref to this was regarding getting a accurate pistol that the guy could shoot and shoot alot. Since you brought this up in a negative manor, I will expand. IF A HOSTILE POKES HIS HEAD AROUND A DOOR OR WALL, ARE YOU GOING TO WAIT FOR A CENTER MASS SHOT LIKE IT SAYS IN ALL THE GUN MAGS???? IF A HOSTILE HAS YOUR WIFE, CHILDREN OR PROBABLY LIFE PARTNER HOSTAGE, ARE YOU GOING TO SHOOT THROUGH THEM TO GET THE 10X CENTER MASS SHOT???? Where is the one place that shuts down all neurological, muscle activity, guarranting 1 shot threat elimination? What part of the body does body armor cover? Center mass! Body armor defeats 90% of all handgun ammo. So, being a trained tactical combat shooter you shoot for the head/ torso, hip/femoral artry, shoulder/brachial artry. Double tap, trip tap.

40 is not close to a 10mm. Like a Chevette is not a corvette! SW, aka Shatty & Worthless. Lobby'd and politic's for thier 40 brand of ammo and the FBI bought it. Some say it was that the weak couldnt handle the 10mm.

Glock chamber's blowing up? Was that a skit on the Chappelle Show? C'mon, show me some proof. It had to be user error or someone trying to make a 40sw equal to 10mm.

Thanks for the laugh's...
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:13 pm

your argument for a head shot might is admiral, but not relevant in the scope of my statement. If all you have is a head shot, you will try that with ANY weapon you have on you. but if the person is standing in front of you, you are not goign to take a weaver stane, plant you feet shoulder widt, balance your center, and squeeze the trigger off for a head shot. That i not realistic.

But on the opposite, if i am up close and personal, i would feel more comfortable with the45 than the 9 mm for immediate tissue damage.

And for you guys that dislike the safety of the glock, try to make on go off. you will not make it fire withotu depressing the trigger! The sear disonncet will nto let it fire. However, that does not mean it is the best design. If you are a cop with a glock, how easy would it be for a perp to take you guna nd use it? Not too hard since he doesnt have to know where a manual safety is on it! And for you guys that want a thumb safety, you can get one put on a glock for around $40

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby msmall » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:25 pm

There is always one guy who jumps on the forum and seems to know everything!!!! All hail topgunmich for he is the expert and the deliverer all that sacred and true on self defense .... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: So topgunmich tell us all what it is you do, and what it is that makes you such an "expert"??? Please tell us how you have single handedly stopped numerous attacks on yourself, or your life partner, with the single shot between the eyes of your attacker.... (sarcasm.... if you dont recognize it). Why dont you give us the stats on number of people that have been attacked by people wearing body armor?? We were all trying to give our opinions not bash one another. I personally dont claim to be an expert, but I certainly wouldnt advocate a new gun owner running around with a handgun with no safety.
Why dont you give us your ideal carry gun? Or do you just put on your superman suit .........
msmall
hunter

Postby WillHuntForFood » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:04 pm

TopGunMich wrote:To the couch commando above:

HA HA HA, GLOCKS DONT HAVE SAFETIES AND THATS A BAD THING!

They were designed that way because so many people died with safeties on thier SW5906,4506 & berreta's and Browning HI PWR's.

FIND A COP OR TAC OPR WITH A SAFETY ENGAGED ON HIS CARRY WEAPON??? Then he's a REMF!

HEADSHOT: My ref to this was regarding getting a accurate pistol that the guy could shoot and shoot alot. Since you brought this up in a negative manor, I will expand. IF A HOSTILE POKES HIS HEAD AROUND A DOOR OR WALL, ARE YOU GOING TO WAIT FOR A CENTER MASS SHOT LIKE IT SAYS IN ALL THE GUN MAGS???? IF A HOSTILE HAS YOUR WIFE, CHILDREN OR PROBABLY LIFE PARTNER HOSTAGE, ARE YOU GOING TO SHOOT THROUGH THEM TO GET THE 10X CENTER MASS SHOT???? Where is the one place that shuts down all neurological, muscle activity, guarranting 1 shot threat elimination? What part of the body does body armor cover? Center mass! Body armor defeats 90% of all handgun ammo. So, being a trained tactical combat shooter you shoot for the head/ torso, hip/femoral artry, shoulder/brachial artry. Double tap, trip tap.

My carry weapon at work is a Beretta before anybody can leave for duty we have to have our weapons inspected by the LT. if anybody has there safety in the on position you are getting 3 days off with out pay. In a firefight having a safety in the on position just makes you a target. We are trained to shoot center mass first, if this does not stop the threat shot some place else. We are trained to keep shooting until the threat is stopped, this means we keep shooting until they go down and no longer have control of there weapon. We do not shoot one or two shots and then stop to see what’s going on.

It’s fine to have a CCW and carry a weapon, but far too many people take the NRA course get there permit and that’s it. The NRA course is fine if all you are going to do is go to the range and shoot paper, or maybe use the gun to hunt with; if you are going to use any gun for home or self defense you need to take additional courses and classes. These classes will teach you what you need to know. A CCW does not make you Rambo, John Wayne, or Robo Cop. TV and Movies are just that they are not training. Training and practice will make you smart.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:44 pm

TopGunMich wrote: Glock chamber's blowing up? Was that a skit on the Chappelle Show? C'mon, show me some proof. It had to be user error or someone trying to make a 40sw equal to 10mm.

Thanks for the laugh's...

being that I shoot IDPA and owned a shop for several years I think, no I KNOW i have seen and fired more variety of handguns than a lot of people ever see. If you want the proof on the Glock KB just go to Glock Talk and search "KB" (if you can before making comments like it never happens) you will find too many to read in one day. All with pictures so what more proof do you need. And seeing two myself one with factory federal american eagle and one with reloads that were at IDPA spec (NOT HOT) at the local range I do believe it happens more than it should. In my Hk I shoot 45 supers (45 SMC), which are well over acp pressures and hotter than a 10mm, with no problems, try that it a GLOCK with their unsupported chambers. I have owned well over 100 pistols and a few Glocks, Good guns but there are better options. MI state Police use sigs and when the police in this area used 1911's they were carried Cocked and Locked (SAFETY ON).

My dad still carries a 1st generation Glock 17 and he shoots it well. and it has only failed with the white box ammo but other than that is has been a fine piece.

Head shots are fun in IDPA if you want to show off or try to make a smiley face but in combat it is always center mass. A girlfriends dad once told me that getting hit with a 9mm with a vest on hurts but getting hit with a 230gr 45 with a vest on leaves you short of breath and bruised ribs and hurts for weeks. He did combat training and used the comparison of you driving a pickup and being hit by a compact traveling at 70mph or a semi at 50mph. The latter will cause a lot more damage.

Chappelle Show? Never have time for the boob tube, too busy hunting, reloading and shooting.

10mm were downgraded to the 40S&W not based on recoil but control.(you can read the entire FBI report on line if you search for it) To get the capacity that they wanted the Grip had to be not only wide but long (same as hi-cap 45's) and some agents mainly female had small hands and could not properly grip the firearm which made recoil more noticable and also caused FTF (fail to feed)issues if too light a hold was used.(not to mention their issue with over-penetration) hence S&W came in with a solution that made the grip smaller, kept the high capacity, and lowered the risk if collateral damage with less penetration. I have a couple of 40 federal hydra shocks pulled from the heads of road hit deer. penetration was about 3" from 30' and caused massive tissue disruption.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TopGunMich » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:46 pm

My advice to the guy who wanted a pistol was: get a high quality gun, get some quality training and shoot alot. Still stands.
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:58 pm

TopGunMich wrote:My advice to the guy who wanted a pistol was: get a high quality gun, get some quality training and shoot alot. Still stands.

:thumbsup:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mydogearl » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:28 pm

ive found a springfield cv-10 ultra compact with hogue grips, very nice shape, for $450. im thinking seriously about it
mydogearl
hunter

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum