Question for you reloaders out there

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Question for you reloaders out there

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:06 pm

hey guys, new to the reloading scene. had a guy teach me how to do it and im hooked. fun little hobby, IMO. well, time to cut to the chase. i am reloading bullets for my 30-06. would like to reload some loads just to shoot and some loads to predator hunt with. i know a 30-06 is a bit overkill for a predator, but dont plan on keeping pelts, or until we get a bobcat season at least. so what bullet would you recommend for the predator rounds? thinking maybe Nosler or Sierra. just curious to see what some of you load up for your pred. rounds.

Thanks
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Re: Question for you reloaders out there

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:45 am

You will need to see what works in your gun. I have loaded 110gr varmint bullets and 125gr Nosler BT's in my 30-06 and 300 WSM and they are very accurate at the right velocity. You will plan to spend many hours at the range testing different powder and bullet combinations to get the right load for your gun. I also like to load up the Sabot rounds for my 300. I use a 60+gr 223 cal bullet and can push them over 4000fps and get minute of Coyote accuracy but some bullets just fly all over the place when pushed that fast with only a 1 in 10 twist. If you do not want to spend a lot of time looking for a Varmint load just use what ever your normally shooting in the gun. If it kills a deer it will take down a varmint too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:08 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:You will need to see what works in your gun. I have loaded 110gr varmint bullets and 125gr Nosler BT's in my 30-06 and 300 WSM and they are very accurate at the right velocity. You will plan to spend many hours at the range testing different powder and bullet combinations to get the right load for your gun. I also like to load up the Sabot rounds for my 300. I use a 60+gr 223 cal bullet and can push them over 4000fps and get minute of Coyote accuracy but some bullets just fly all over the place when pushed that fast with only a 1 in 10 twist. If you do not want to spend a lot of time looking for a Varmint load just use what ever your normally shooting in the gun. If it kills a deer it will take down a varmint too.

thanks for the info. i figured it would be a deal that i spent a lot of time at the range. appreciate it!
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 pm

welcome :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:12 am

I have loaded the 100gr "Plinker" from Speer or Hornady for 100 yard shooting with SR 4759 powder
that is like shooting a little 222. You can cover 50 yard groups with a quarter.

A 150gr FMJ or hp loaded down with 4895 powder to target speeds will also group well with very little recoil

What loading manuals do you have?
I will help but don't give out data any more.

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum