1911 pistols

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

1911 pistols

Postby birddog crazy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:48 am

has any one have a chance to shoot the shooter arms 1911 being made over seas, they seem to be great looking copy of a 1911, plus wanting to know what types of 1911's do we own who love to shoot 1911's I have mostly springfield made ones , a auto ordance, plus 1 colt
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:11 am

If you get a 1911 style...........one way to improve the accuracy on the originals was to replace the front barrel bushing,since the original has too much slop.

Fun pistol,easy to dismantle, and lots of cheap ammo. :thumbsup:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:17 pm

I've shot and owned a few overseas models, but not that one. For guns like a Rock Island, Norinco or Armscor you will either get one that you thought was a steal for the price or an overpriced decoy weight.

I reload all my rifle ammo, and am going to have to start reloading 45ACP. It is getting too expensive to blast a few hundred rounds a week, unless you buy Blazer Brass ammo.

At the cost of 9mm, my Browning Hi Powers look better and better for shooting on a reguar basis.
Last edited by bgoldhunter on Tue May 06, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Pistol & rifle is a heck of a lot cheaper than going out and shooting the shotgun with lead and having to reload with the price of lead shot.

Holly molly !! :eek: :eek:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Sage: that's true to a small extent. With the war going on there is somewhat of a shortage of ammo and what is available is EXPENSIVE! I shoot a Kimber Stainless Target II and even the "cheap" loads in bulk are getting pretty pricey.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:18 pm

I have never owned a 1911 but am looking at a kimber procarry with the crimson trace lasergrips. I have been told that the Kimbers are about the best in their price range and I want a small 1911 for in the waistband carry. I have never heard of some of the ones mentioned in this post. Do the parts (triggers, springs, hammers etc.) still interchange with the US versions so that you can tinker with them?
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birddog crazy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:38 pm

I got out to shoot my new 1911 by shooters arms, it is the elite model, has a extended slide release,extended safety, beavertail grip safety,skelitoized trigger and hammer, all i can say is it shoots tighter groups then my colts and springfield 1911's. I SHOT a group of 1.75 inch's , and averaged group's of 2.25 inches at 25 yards with standard factory loads instead of my reloads i usually shoot, i will shoot my relaods this weekend. The pistol cost on the average for this pistol with all the stuff i mentioned is only $450.00, the fit and overall view in my opinion is great. all parts are interchangable with other standardized built 1911's
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

1911 Experience

Postby seabass57 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:35 pm

I purchased a Kimber Desert Warrior about two years ago after drooling over it in the gun case for couple of monthes. I have put about a thousand rounds through it. The trigger is crisp and it's a tack driver from 8 to 25 yards. It shoots real nice except for the fact that it doesn't like to return to battery. I've tried different loads and magazines and nothing seems to fix it. After getting on a couple of forums I've seen countless other people with the same complaints on the Warrior models. I haven't gotten around to sending it back to the factory, and I can't really see sending it to a gunsmith to ream out the camber and de-burr the sucker since I already spent a fortune on the gun itself. I've heard great things about Kimber in general, but nothing good about the Warriors. So my advice is to steer clear unless you feel like dealing with it. I'm gonna hold onto mine and eventually probably take it up Cylinder and Slide in Fremont NE, and have them do their magic. I just think it's two pretty to get rid of. And with a little work I think we can get her back where she should have been in the first place. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good about the Taurus PT1911. My good friend just purchased one about six monthes back and loves it. Reports from him state that the thing will eat anything he feeds it. Ball and hollow points alike. There's my two sense, do with it what you well, happy shooting.
Joe
seabass57
Newb

Postby birddog crazy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:58 pm

don't feel bad, a good friend bought 2 warriors, 1 jams at least once for every mag, no matter what mag he uses or what loads he uses, the other hates hollow points, plus he has never got either one to group less than 4 inches at 25 yards, which for him is bad,, cause he is a great shooter also, we both shoot alot and usually he is not to far behind me on shooting for points. he hates the fact that my 400 dollar shooters elite 1911 is more reliable and accurate than his not so cheap kimbers
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donttreadonme » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:57 pm

I own 2 kimber's and haven't had one problem. I have a Pro Carry II and an Ultra Carry II. IMO Kimber is top notch and there isn't any rung higher unless you want to go custom.
"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
donttreadonme
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:41 pm

here is one of my 1911 with rattlesnake grips Image
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birddog crazy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:43 pm

here's one 1911 with iron wood gripsImage
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birddog crazy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:44 pm

here's my elite 1911 with askia maple grips Image
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:38 am

Seabass, you should send your gun back to Kimber and Call them so that they are aware of your ftf problems and any others you have had. I hear that kimber has good customer service and really stands by their line of M1911's
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby DylanK15 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:23 am

I own a WWI era colt 1911. it was actually in the war. we purchased it at a yard sale for $200.

so we pretty much stole it.

i love that gun! it still shoots like a dream!
I CANT WAIT TO GET MY DANG BOAT! GOSH!

only 1 week left!
DylanK15
hunter

Postby MM » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:12 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I have never owned a 1911 but am looking at a kimber procarry with the crimson trace lasergrips. I have been told that the Kimbers are about the best in their price range and I want a small 1911 for in the waistband carry. I have never heard of some of the ones mentioned in this post. Do the parts (triggers, springs, hammers etc.) still interchange with the US versions so that you can tinker with them?

I have Crimson Trace an my Colt Mark IV 1911 (nickel) and on my Springfield Armory. They are awesome! Pricy, but awesome!
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:28 am

Guy here in town just got in two of the Kimbers with the CT grips. 1459.00$!! Neat gun but a little pricey.

BG how do you like the Les Baer? I dont know anyone who has one and I always wondered.

I got a sleeper .45 that I really like. EAA WITNESS not pretty but shoots really well. I think I paid 400 bucks for it. Never had a feed problem.

Anyone have a Wilson 1911?
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:37 am

They start out probably what most would consider a too tight for a carry/combat weapon. However, they break in very nicely, and have good build quality and accuracy.

A new Thunder Ranch Special lists for $2000, and can be had for a little less. A very slightly used one would be in new Kimber price territory and a much better buy. I would say the same with the Ed Brown products...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum