Worth and Opinions

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Worth and Opinions

Postby GCox25 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:02 am

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to this forum and new to hunting, as well. A friend of mine has a rifle to sell and I would like your opinions on it. I think he is giving me a heck of a deal on a heck of a gun, but would like some more informed opinions before buying it.

Here are the details I know:
Winchester Model 70 .243
Synthetic Camo stock
Stainless barrel
Nikon 4 x 14 Scope

I have the serial number, but cannot seem to locate it in any of the databases that show that information. I'm pretty sure it is a relatively new gun and it has had very few rounds through it.

Let me know what you think and thanks in advance for your opinions.

G
GCox25
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Is this an Ultimate Shadow M70? As with a lot of rifle models, there are many variations, and price changes accordingly. However, IMO, you can never go wrong with a Model 70, even the push feed models. Without knowing specifics, it is hard to give an estimated value of the gun..

The Nikon I assume is a Buckmaster scope, which is a good scope for the money.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:25 am

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I know about the gun. As I said, I am a newbie, so bear with me.

I think it is an M70 Super Sport Magnum. (WSSM .243) I am not sure about the Ultimate Shadow, but after reading about it online, I think it is that version.

The Nikon is a Buckmaster scope.

A ballpark estimate would be fine by me. I am sure my friend is not trying to pull one over on me, but would like to know others' thoughts on it before I buy it. I will be shooting mainly Whitetails and Coyotes with it.

I'm going this weekend to fire it for the first time and will let you know the results.

Thanks again.
GCox25
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:45 pm

It the gun looks like this one:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90135208

Then it is an Ultimate Shadow, which is nice since they were once a top of the line model with CRF. Pay no attention to the buy it now price, as that is very unrealistic for this gun. NIB models are selling at a very discounted price on WSSM models (all calibers), as none of them are moving very well.

If one were to look a bit, a NIB model can be had for $400-500. Possibly a bit cheaper, although several guys are still trying to make money on them since the M70 boom since they closed the plant. This is a far cry from the $600-800 they were once selling for, but everything sold once the supply dried up (except the WSSMs, hence the heavily discounted prices).

A new Buckmaster 4.5-14 is around $270, with a few better deals here and there. One can find them used at around $225 with not much searching, and cheaper than that if you are willing to wait and look hard.

If it were me, I would probably figure since I could buy a new gun and used scope (and figuring new Leupold rings/mounts) for about $625-650 give or take, a used gun with used scope would probably be worth $500.

That's my .02 anyways...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:25 am

BGoldhunter,

Thanks very much for your reply. Your opinion matches up perfectly in this situation and I am grateful to have heard it. Sounds like I got a good deal on a pretty good gun.

Thanks again.
GCox25
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:34 pm

Sounds great! I hope you enjoy it.

The Model 70 is a wonderful gun, and I like them very much. Hopefully you will like yours as much as I like mine!

If you ever need some help with it, let me know. I would suggest you bed the action and try to adjust the trigger if it has not already been done. I like light triggers, so a nice pull is manditory for me.

Newer triggers don't adjust as low as the older ones, it would seem. If you can't get it where you would like, a good smith may be able to get it there-or just have a good aftermarket one put in.

Here are some instructions if you are interested:
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/win70trigger.html
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:05 am

I just wanted to follow up with you about my gun.

I took it out with a friend of mine last weekend and fired 7 shot with it at 100 yards. My friend says the trigger has already been adjusted, as you recommended.

Wow, I love it. All 7 of my shots were in the kill zone for sure and my buddy followed it up with a dead-on bullseye. He turned to me and said I think your gun is sighted in pretty well and I looked at the target through the scope and saw his bullseye.

Needless to say, for the price I paid, I am very pleased with the purchase and look forward to getting to hunt with it soon.

Thanks again for all your recommendations and opinions.
GCox25
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:19 am

Sounds like a shooter to me! What's not to like, you are shooting a fine gun :thumbsup:

I'll be looking for some pictures next season with a trophy taken with your new gun.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum