Jap 7.7mm

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Jap 7.7mm

Postby hillman raider » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:32 am

I have a Jap rifle from WWII and was wanting your guys opinions on the safty. The safty is very weird,you have to push it in and twist it for it the engage/disenge. So i was wondering if a gunsmith could someohow change this and make it like a regualr safty. The guns very accurate and is a nice flat shooter and i like it alot its just that the saftys weird. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Eric
hillman raider
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:26 am

Personally, I would avoid modifiying it. It is my understanding that these rifles were very difficult to 'sporterize', which is one of the reasons you don't see a lot of these guns afield, as you do sporterized Mausers.
Second, these rifles are starting to obtain collector status and I think you would decrease the value of the rifle if you modified it.
Finally, what would you use it for? If you plan on hunting with it, then you would be paying dearly for ammo, since it is only manufactured by Privipartisan and Norma. Heck, I don't remember seeing reloading data for it in any of the latest reloading manuals.

Just MHO, FWIW :smile:
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby hillman raider » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:32 am

very true, I was gunna use it for deer to elk etc. i only have 2 boxes of normas left......and norma stoped making them. So could be in trouble :thumbsdown:

Thanks
Eric
hillman raider
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:44 pm

I'd leave it alone. Safety is a bit strange but it does work. Hornady makes a 150gr 7.7 X 58 Jap round, ~$23/20, Cabela's has them in the new shooting catalog, 6.5 Jap also. Thought I saw Prvi Partizan having them as well somewhere, Grafs(?). Load my own and it is an accurate LOOOOOOONG gun. Always thought those old WW2 movies were only making fun of the Japanese and how short they are, toss the bayonet on and the darn things nearly as tall as me, 6'3".
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:08 pm

Japanese military rifles vary very widely in price; the reason is that towards the end of the war, the end run production of these guns was very rough, and the quality very poor......essentially water pipes mounted on boards :biggrin: These rifles aren't really worth all that much.....also, a lot of the rifles imported into this country had the chrysanthamum ground off, and that really lowered the value of the rifle.
Type 99 (or whatever the number is) that were captured early on and have all their proof marks are worth more, and the price is going up, as more and more collectors are wanting those pieces. If the rifle is of dubious quality and not worthy of 'collector' status, then I would say go ahead and have it converted. The problem is that most of the low end guns are going for $125-150, and I'm sure that a conversion would cost a LOT more than that.......

Thought I saw Prvi Partizan having them as well somewhere, Grafs(?).

Yes, Graf's carries the Privipartisan line.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:58 pm

I have a Jap and it is very accurate.........

Does yours have the flower emblem on top of the receiver?
Most were ground off...if yes..........Boko $$ when selling.

Keep it "standard"..........for the best price.

It is a great rifle and easy to take apart and clean.
Lots of info on the net on how & parts.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby hillman raider » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:06 pm

Sadly the gun has aleady been sportarized... i recieved it from my mother when she stoped hunting. However it does have the imperial flower on it, its not defaced etc. I love the gun, the saftys the only weird part. Guess ill just have to get use to it.
Thanks

Eric
hillman raider
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum