new savage 270

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

new savage 270

Postby wright_hunter » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:11 pm

just got a new LH savage 270 bolt action has a OK simmions scope and is tapped and drilled for a sling but im wanting a bipod on it what do u guys think i should get to put on it
dont scratch a tiger with a short stick.
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter
Banned - screwed member in classifieds

Postby Cobra » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:55 pm

A roto-tilt/pivoting type is more versatile. A B-Square brand will run ~ $35 and aren't bad but only go from 9"- 20" which is low for a sitting position, at least for myself. Stoney Points aren't bad and only slightly more expensive and come in different heights. Love Harris bipods but they start around $100, well worth it to me.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:42 pm

The only bipod I use anymore is a Harris. I've found that the cheaper ones do not last and do not take much abuse.

I'm not sure of the height that you are looking for, but I would fully reccomend a Harris swiveling bipod with standard legs. The are cases where I like leg notches better, but for most situations, the standard legs are a bit more versatile. The install a KMW Pod-Loc, and you would be GTG in any and all situations.

BTW, I would buy another swivel sud and itstall it in your stock. Just drill and install the stud. You could epoxy it in just to be sure it doesn't move, but it would be hard to remove it if you ever wanted to. It is not comfortable at all to put the sling directly to the bipod and carry it any distance.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:12 am

Im a big time Savage fan! I never have used a bipod , but carry a set of homemade shooting sticks made from 2 wooden dowls lashed together with a pc. of rubber inner tube. Ive used them for yrs, and when you anchor your elbow its as rock solid as a bench and dont affect the looks or balance of the rifle like a bipod will. Just something to think about.
muddydog
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:16 am

Hey! Those are the shooting sticks I use as well, just with a few castration bands instead of inner tube.

They work very well, and you would happen to lose them, it only costs you a few bucks.

Count me in with the other Savage fans. Bad thing is, you can't have just one!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum