Who else shoots a .300 Win Mag?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Who else shoots a .300 Win Mag?

Postby Broozer5 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:53 pm

I just baught a new Remington 700 SPS stainless in the .300 Win Mag. I have not been able to shoot it yet, but looking forward too. Anyone else shoot a .300, and how do you like it? What sort of distances can you shoot effectively? What grain do you prefer?
Ryan
You're still a sh*t Sandwich...Just not a soggy one.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:50 pm

I have the exact same gun. I like it, I'm satisfied with it I haven't ever had a problem with it yet. It is a big gun and it will defiantly take out a deer with no problem, although I would never use it for anything smaller, thats why I also have a few others in smaller calibers. The only thing I don't really like about it is the recoil. My 308 I can shot all day at the range and my shoulder will never get sore. But it seems like about a couple boxes with the 300 my shoulder is going to fall off.

As far as what round I use I don't use anything special I just use Rem. Core-lokt 180gr. because I really only use this thing for about half of the time when I'm hunting deer. I mainly use a 270. But If I were ever going to go hunting for Elk or something big I would take the 300winmag.

The distance, like I said I usually only use it for deer so about 95% of the time I'm shooting within 100yds. Although I have shot it out to 500yrd (for fun not hunting) and I shot a 5" group of 3 consecutive shots. I'm sure with a better scope on it and some practice with it I could close that group significantly(my 308 I can shoot a 1" group at 500yds) However I would never shoot anything out that far, even though the 300 still has some considerable knockdown power at that range.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby TommyW » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:48 pm

I am also getting a 300 win mag. Either a Remmington or a savage haven't made up my mind yet. I am going hunting in Alberta in the fall.
WHAT SAID IN THE BLIND STAYS IN THE BLIND
TommyW
hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:52 pm

TommyW- It is just my personal opinion, but I would not go with a savage. I have had bad experiences with them, and so did my good friend at the same time. I still havnt figured out what is wrong with mine, one minute it shoots fine, the next shot will be about 16 inches off at 100 yards! (Not the shooters fault ha ha). My freind figured out that the factory didnt leave enough room inbetween the barell and the forestock. His gun was shooting like crap as well. Like I said though, that is just my personal experience.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby TommyW » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:01 pm

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:
TommyW
hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:30 pm

TommyW- I already had a Remington 700, and absolutely love it. That is why I got another.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby donttreadonme » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:50 pm

I had a 300 mag and think it is one of the best rounds available. I would shoot a 180-200 gr. bullet for sure. A lot of people will spout how amazingly flat and fast the cartridge will shoot a lighter bullet but I guarantee you will get the best patterns with a 180-200gr. bullet. If you want a good performing factory round for as cheap as possible I would suggest the Rem. Core-Loc bullets. If you are willing to pay a little more I would look into a federal premium with a nosler partition bullet. I have had great luck with them. And lastly if you are hand loading I would check out a Nosler Partition or Berger VLD.

As far as distance goes I would suggest you spend as much time at the range as you can afford and establish your own limit. Some guys are comfortable shooting 6-700 yards and some are comfortable with 200. Just remember that just because you can shoot a great group at 200 doesn't mean you can at 400. You need to shoot targets at the distances you plan to shoot an animal.

Have fun with it!
"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
donttreadonme
hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:09 pm

Donttreadonme- Thanks alot for the information. I am really looking forward to getting out and shooting it. I was thinkin I would like to use a 180 grain bullet. I dont mind using a little more expensive of a round.
One box should last years. one round per animal right? Ha ha, im kidding. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Oh ya, I am guessing wind probably doesnt effect the .300 much, especially a 180 grain. What do you think?
Broozer5
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:28 pm

Broozer5 wrote:One box should last years. one round per animal right?

Ha, ya, you an my hunting buddy would get along great, He shoots about 2 maybe 3 rounds a year out of his rifle. One or two to shoot to make sure its still sighted in and then one to shoot the deer with.

About the wind, at 100yrds you can be in a pretty stiff wind and not really have to worry now of course the further the shot well the more the wind will push your shot and I hear some snows flying over my house right now, But my best advice to you is to go buy some ammo and go test it out yourself

Tommy W, I would not be scared of savage, my 270 is a savage and I have never had a problem, but Im not saying Broozer is wrong because I havent seen or shot the gun hes talking about and every makers going to have lemons, but I have a savage and I know other people who do and we all like them, although a friend of mine had a rem 700 and he had a similar problem where he would shoot and it would be dead on then the next shot would be about 6''-7'' off, but he was also shooting a cheap barska scope. I told him it might be his scope, he didnt believe me because barska has a lifetime shock proof warranty. Well I got him to try a better quality scope and sure enough the scope was the problem and now he uses a mid range price leupold.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:14 pm

KCDuckMaster- I only wish I could get away with only shooting that many rounds per year ha ha.

Tommyw- I wouldnt totally drop Savage as an option either. I havnt checked to see what the actual problem of my gun is. It could very well be the scope, but that is the one that came with the gun, but who knows.
I really do appreciate your knowlege about this stuff. Thanks.
Ryan
Broozer5
hunter

Postby TommyW » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:03 am

I have a savage rifle in the .204. Gun was accurate until my wife knocked the case it was in over. Ever since then the scope hasn't been right. Before that the rifle was deadly accurate. I was killing groundhogs out to 450 yards. I am still considering a savage. I do appreciate input from other people. Broozer it sounds like the scope is bad to me. I would start there first. I have known people who bought a package gun and the scope took crap after the first few rounds. :smile:
TommyW
hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:50 pm

Ya, my good friends dad is a butcher and when he goes out to properties to kill beef, they arent always in a corrall for him to kill them in, and he shoots a savage .223. He can put that slug anywhere on a cow over a hundred yards out there. The kill zone on the cow is small without ruining any meat. So I am sure that all savages arent bad, and it sounds like you have already had good experiences with one! What model of gun was it?
Ryan
Broozer5
hunter

Postby TommyW » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:07 pm

My .204 is a model 12 fv. It has a BSA contender 6x24x40AO scope. I shoot Hornady 32 grain V-Max bullets.It also has a harris bipod 13" to 27".
TommyW
hunter

Postby donttreadonme » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:47 pm

Broozer a 180 gr. bullet will fly pretty dang straight in anything short of gail force winds out to 200 yds. At 300 yds the winds will take a toll. If you can get me the fps, average temp durring hunting season and your altitude , I will get you a wind drift and bullet drop chart. You will need to chronograph the gun to get an accurate fps. reading. The speed on the box isn't a very accurate way to get the bullet speed.
"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
donttreadonme
hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:37 pm

Donttreadonme- I am hopefully going to the range next saturday, if someone has a chronograph there (which alot of times the do) I will try to figure that stuff out. Thanks alot
Ryan
Broozer5
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum