thinking about an ar15

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

thinking about an ar15

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:49 pm

Can any of you guys give a novice any advice to me about ar15. I really am thinking about adding one to my collection before November. There are so many out there I need to narrow my scope. I don't want to go the cheap route but don't want to over pay.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Harley Dave » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:18 pm

PM'ed ya!
Your life, liberty, and property are never safe when the Legislature is in session. M.Twain
Harley Dave
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:53 pm

Can yo usay 'can of worms'? :biggrin:

Seriously, there are a TON of good ARs being made out there right now. I'm a fan of a bunch of them, but have more experience with various parts, etc. from DPMS....as that was where many of my repair parts for COlt and FN M4s andM16s came from......I have been pleased with those and Bushmaster (now Remington :mad: ), Olympic, etc.....all of the Baer, Stoner, Armalite, S&W, Wilson, etc. stuff I have messed with has been top notch....you pay for it, too. LWRC and Barrett are hot names right now, too. Model 1 and Rock River are sources for reasonably priced stuff that I'me hearing good stuff about...but have nothing firsthand for you. :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll get a lot of input, as there's a lot out there right now.

AR companies should pay Jim Zumbo royalties right now. :lol:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby DJH1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:28 pm

Look at it this way, all AR manufacturer's use the exact same parts.....exact same! So much so that they're interchangable. That being said, buy a name brand for the simple fact that it will be much easier to sell if you change your mind or just want something different. Believe me, I've had 2, a colt and a rock river. Down to 0 ar's right now, but a see another rock river in my distant future.
DJH1
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:05 pm

i've got a Bushmaster AR-15 A-3. I love it. i got a floating quad rail, fore grip, light, c-more red dot and collapsible stock. I use it at work. :huh: work you may be saying....yeah i am a police officer. :thumbsup:
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:30 pm

www.ar15.com has ALL the info you'll ever need... well probably too much

anyways what i did was order a rifle kit from www.del-ton.com and it comes with everything but a stripped lower reciever which run about $100. then i bought one of those from www.spikestactical.com. also www.anvilarms.com has pretty good looking ones and they are on sale right now.

anyways you can build a basic one for right about $600 just so you know. it's SUPER easy with the kit, and will save you about $300 or so over buying a complete rifle from like stag or rra, which will buy you a case of ammo. good luck man

also i'm in the process of pricing everything for my dad who is going to be building my sisters one, so feel free to pm me if you are looking for the best deal on something because i will know it :thumbsup:

oh yeah here's a pic of mine :yes:

jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby TommyW » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Hey jjohnson how well do you see through the scope with the front sight on? Does it get in the way? I have a S&W M&P15 and I was thinking of putting a scope like that on mine.
WHAT SAID IN THE BLIND STAYS IN THE BLIND
TommyW
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:37 pm

there isnt any problems with seeing through it at all :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks fellas. Great information. Johnson I proabably will take you up on that offer.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Jon-Anvil_Arms » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:54 am

DJH1 wrote:Look at it this way, all AR manufacturer's use the exact same parts.....exact same! So much so that they're interchangable. That being said, buy a name brand for the simple fact that it will be much easier to sell if you change your mind or just want something different. Believe me, I've had 2, a colt and a rock river. Down to 0 ar's right now, but a see another rock river in my distant future.

While it is true that all parts are "SUPPOSED TO BE" the same they are not. Not even close. There are dozens of companies making any given part for the AR15 and many of the are not located in the US. Many are making substandard parts that simply do not hold up to a rigid quality control inspection process.

There is great variation in type of metal used, heat treating procedures and effeciveness, allowable tolerances and so forth.

One of the few exceptions to the above is the receivers themselves. By US law it is all but impossible to import Lower receivers (The regulated part). There are really only a few places in the country that specialize in making the receivers and they supply about 90% of the entire AR industry with the receives the various companies use. However, just because a given company makes receivers for more than one brand name that you would recognize that does not mean that they are all made the same.

Some brand names specify different (less expensive) finishes, allow looser tolerances and so forth. There are numerous ways to cut costs (and overall quality) without the end consumer really being able to be aware of how/if it was done. There are some things that will be immediately obvious to the trained eye, some that are nearly impossible to see.

I do not mean to tun this post into a commercial but... At Anvil Arms our goal is to make the very best quality weapons we can. Just like Papa Johns Pizza that means using better ingredients. Better ingredients means better pizza, and better guns. We are driven by that goal and we are also driven to provide these very high quality weapons at a very reasonable price.

Just ask anybody that owns one of our weapons for a quality, reliability check. Stroll over to AR15.com and do a search on "Anvil" and/or take a look at out Industry Partner Section there.

Remember, just because a part looks pretty much the same and seems to fit into the correct place, does NOT mean it is the same construction or quality.

Hope this helps some!

By the way, somebody here mentioned that we do laser engraving. We are in fact the only AR manufacture that has our own in house laser and can in fact do custiom images. There are 100 or so posted here: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=244&t=155811 If you want to send in your own custom image we will engrave it forno charge on our of our guns.

Jon Kruger
President, Anvil Arms LLC
Lakeland, FL.

863-398-4460

Email: Jon@AnvilArms.com

www.AnvilArms.com

Lifetime NRA Member

ARFCOM Industry Partner
Jon-Anvil_Arms
Newb

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:48 pm

wow talk about suprising. i'm sending my dad your guys' way for a lower when he builds a gun for my sisters :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:55 pm

I work at a gun shop part time. @ can take and shoot whatever I want. I bought a ar-180b. it is more accurate than most ar-15's I've fired and it hundreds less. And I personally think a bull barrel that's 18 inches long is pointless and its either a tactical entry type gun or a marksmans gun. Not both.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ALMODUX » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:18 pm

If that 180 B is more accurate than most ARs you've fired, then hang onto it....it's a rarity. :biggrin: While the PERFECT AR has an operating system more akin to that 180 (with a piston system), the adaptability to different sight systems, accessories, special purpose uppers, great triggers, etc. is what makes it special, more versatile, useful, and fun. You can get an AR with an 18" barrel, bull, fluted, threaded, whatever....can't do that with a 180. The real peach out right now is the Sig 556, at least by my estimation. It is still not as versatile as the AR....which will go down as the most versatile platform in history. :biggrin:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:46 am

I agree you can get more do-dads on the Ar 15 platform. I couldn't get any ar in my price range to shoot under 11/4". That 180 after 50 rounds shoots 3/4" groups. I've never been a collapsible stock tactical guy and I'm not knocking it. I've found results of head to head comparisons online and most agree that the 180 outshoots the stoner platform. I just wanted a prarie dog gun. and as the distance adds up that slight moa difference can really become a problem. Not that I shoot more than 400 yards. Well not with a .223
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ALMODUX » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:10 am

Don, I really wasn't implying there's anything wrong with the 180....it was just not adopted and fawned over for 30-40 years like the AR has been...so, there's not as much on it or for it. If they shoot, they shoot. I can make an AR shoot, so I generally consider that type for accuracy.

FYI: The AR180 IS a Eugene Stoner design, and if I ain't crazy, he actually tried to get the Army to adopt it OVER the M16...but the Air Force had already adopted the M16, so the writing was on the wall. :biggrin:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:57 pm

Your right. Armalite sold the patent to colt to supply the army. Those first "black rifles" were terrible performers. That's why eugene came up with the AR-18. The AR-18 is a lot less prone to fouling and dirt. You might be surprised to find out just how much bolt ons are offered for that gun.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum