sprinfield xd sub-compact 40-failure to feed

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

sprinfield xd sub-compact 40-failure to feed

Postby mydogearl » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:51 am

got the gun at christmas and i have put approx 200 to 300 rounds through it. i started off shooting winchester usa's 165 gr. everything perfect. recently, i buy a box of the winchester usa's 180 gr. and after the 5th shot, it fails to feed the next round. i also shot the wolf 180gr flawlessly through it. this is only happening with the larger of the two mags and the 180 gr winchesters. if i run all of the rounds through manually, i notice very small marks on the end of the brass were it meets with the bullet. when shooting and that round fails to go in, this mark is much larger. does the the feeding ramp simply need polished up or what? thanks in advance.
mydogearl
hunter

Postby cooks » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:48 am

im not sure what is exactly going on with your gun,but here is a little advice for you. Dont shoot the wolf ammo because i have heard that it will void factory warranties if you send it to the manufactur and they ask if you shot any of these through the gun. Just my .02
cooks
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:57 pm

it could be a feed ramp problem. or a better guess would be a mag problem. some of thos XDs that have the grip adapter and the larger mag have shown problems with feeding some of the rounds out of the mag. It normally only happens in the lower half of the clip. say, after you have shot 5 or 6 rounds.

are all teh bullets round nose? I knwo that i have a SIG that WILL NOT shoot SWC style bullets.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ALMODUX » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:56 pm

I'd put good money on a mag problem...but that's from my ringside, keyboard seat here. :lol:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby mydogearl » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:40 pm

the bullets are not hollow points if thats what your asking

you still think it is a mag problem even though there are marks on every bullet. again this only happens with one of the three types of rounds i shoot. or could it be possibly a little bit of both, mag and feed ramp and they are combining just perfectly to make the problem.
also, ignorant question here. whats SWC style bullets
mydogearl
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:58 am

SWC is a Semi-Wadcutter Bullet. Some guns will not cycle them because of the abrupt taper on teh shoulder of the bullet. But if you are shooting full metal jacket round nose bullets it shoudl nto be a bullet problem.

there is a possibility that it could be the ramp, mag, or both. There is no way to give you a gooc armchair diagnosis. All i can tell you is to mnually cycle the follower in teh magazine with a stick and see if it feels rough or tries to stick. you should be able to look athte feed ramp and tell if it is rough. It might have a small burr on the leading edge, or start to show a few scratches.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum